Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2017, 02:05:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How we treat new hobbyist  (Read 20311 times)
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2013, 07:46:41 PM »

Posters really need to learn to understand what the basic question or concern is when considering their answer. Even experienced hobbyists tend to overload with extra information that is not directly related to the basic question. Example: A poster requests information on how to eradicate ich from their infected tank.  More often than not, I see replies that request information about their tank parameters, size tank, how long they have kept fish and even the merits of a fishless cycling to the type of food and filtration. How would this benefit the poster's original question? I call this "rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic after hitting an iceberg syndrome".

The easiest answer would be to recommend the safest and most expedient means to do so or link them to the information on this site. If the original poster has already identified the issue, it could be implied that an answer or assistance to that particular issue is being requested. Later follow on or follow up discussions could take place.

On the other hand, hobbyists replying may have to ferret out certain pieces of information because the poster may not be experienced enough to formulate a question that adequately describes the issue. Thats when you really have to put the thinking caps on.

The great thing about our site and forum is that anyone with an interest in aquaria and possesses a computer can rely on an answer. Most are answered within a couple hours or less 90% of the time.

Some folks may not understand a reply when rendered in absolutes. I see wording like "need" instead of "should". In addition, even if something has worked for one person for years, doesn't mean it is correct. 

I know folks have the best of intentions when replying to new hobbyists or new members, but one of my pet peeves is reading a reply that barely says nothing more than, "I'm not the expert, or I've never kept that fish or used that piece of equipment, but I'm sure a more experienced person will weigh in soon on this. Now what good will this do when that poster sees a new reply to their question only to find out that the person who replied is also ignorant to their situation? If one even knows part of a correct or right answer, then reply and or direct them to a link or other member who may know the answers to the rest. Don't just display ignorance.

We have members who devote an astonishing amount of time here. Others cover the range from beginner to advanced aquarists that can discuss the merits of various treatments and approaches to the hobby. This site and forum has a pretty extensive library and source of information that offer members the sorts of specific information that beginners have a difficult time finding on their own.

But, no one gets away with just anything; the slightest bit of ill-considered advice is quickly demolished, often with great wit.  Wink

Again.

* BCA02.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 467 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
kieran

No freedom of speech

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 09:55:08 AM »

Well im sorry i do take on new info but its just to me it sounded like you thought i was stupid. Guess i took it the wrong way sorry
Pat Mary

« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 05:22:08 PM »

Everything in this thread is slanted towards longtime members and mods being less than welcoming to new members.  I would suggest that, if someone is coming here for advice, they already have a problem or a potential problem.  Everyone here is more than willing to help hobbyists or newbies with problems.  But, I still say that it should not all be on us.  It is just like school where no one is denied a trophy so that they will not feel that they are not an expert.    Think of when you start a new job.  Do you join the company with your own set of rules and expect the other employees to conform to your ideas?  Or, do you learn about the culture of the company and suggest alternate ways when the time is right?  I, personally, am sick of being told that we are too aggressive or are telling people what they should do versus "what I would do".  We all offer advice.  Some of that advice is better than others.  But, members are quick to jump in and say if something is not in the best interest of the fish.  There is give and take here and that should never be lost.  If a new member is so thin skinned that they cannot handle what we say, so be it.  We are here to advocate for the fish...not to cater to the thinskinned newbie. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 06:29:30 PM »

I still remember how overwhelming it was in the first few months trying to do things right, trying to understand, especially when there is so much confusing and/or contradicting information on the web. Even though I have been on here since I started this hobby a little over 2 years ago I know I am right in feeling that I have barely scratched the surface of what there is to learn about keeping water and healthy fish.

I also still remember feeling insecure and worried that people may think I am stupid and that possibly I was being made fun of, knowing that I was the new kid on the block and everyone else seemed to know each other for ages. Then, not only was I new to this hobby but also still fairly new to using a computer, "talking" to people without visual, and auditory clues. 

Because of those missing visual and auditory clues you'd normally get from talking to people personally, being misunderstood and misunderstanding another is unavoidable. I find that is why things escalate so quickly in cyberland.

When things get heated for some reason I can't seem to formulate things properly, I've tried and ended up making things worse, so when I see threads heading in that direction I now refuse to take part in them. I only feel sorry that it leaves others fighting the good fight! So, I am writing this in support of you, Pat Mary, so sorry you must have felt you're standing there all by yourself!  Sad

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
johnpfaff

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2014, 02:27:35 PM »

I stink of newness. Have been reading and seeking out new information on this hobby since last November and am just now "getting my feet wet."

My greatest frustration is not learning about another aspect of the hobby, I find this fulfilling. The most frustrating thing to me is not getting responses to my simple questions. Often I get no response (Is this guy a complete idiot - we all know that) or someone goes off on a tangent and the initial question is never addressed. (Hey, where do you live?)

I do not care what tone is used or if the answer is in all caps as long as I get an answer.

I will thoughtfully make use of all responses...

Thank you.

John.
Pat Mary

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2014, 03:18:02 PM »

John, I'm sorry if some of your questions have not been answered.  I see that you have made 2 posts as a member....this one and one in the Beginners Circle which Spuds has answered.  Your other questions must have been posted as a Guest and I don't know when.  Sometimes, a member will read a post and not know the answer so they will leave it for someone more knowledgeable to address.  Other times, a post can just slip by and we don't always see them.  If you feel that you aren't getting answers, you could always PM a Mod.  We don't just ignore threads....sometimes things just happen.

moonbunny

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2014, 03:51:27 PM »

If there's anything I can do, please let me know.  I'm at the computer most of the day and usually keep Badman's running in the background.  If there's something I don't know personally, I'll try digging it up either in our archives or elsewhere.  If it helps the mods and the response time for new members, count me in.
johnpfaff

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2014, 04:10:11 PM »

So sorry to have taken a tone that you thought directed to this forum. I was referring to my experience on two other forums, not yours. I feel this was a bad start to me. I only want to learn and increase my skill so I may at some point pass helpful information on to others. I apologize for any misconception I created.

Thank you for your reply.

Later,

John.
Pat Mary

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2014, 04:29:45 PM »

It isn't a bad start for you at all.  But, I know that sometimes a thread will get past us.  If it ever happens with one of your threads, you can "bump" it or, as I said, notify a Mod.   We are a good group of people.  Many of us really know our stuff.  All of us are still learning in some way but we will never steer you wrong.  We advocate for the fish and if one person doesn't know an answer, another does. 

Before you know it, you will be running a smooth tank.  Smiley

FishLover123
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2015, 10:57:02 PM »

Hi! I'm new to fish keeping and I just joined. When I've had fish for a couple years I'll remind myself to look back at this. I want to ask questions but I also want to give answers.
sharlaburnett

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2015, 09:22:33 PM »

Well I just wanted to say that I am so very thankful for this forum and would probably not have a single fish of mine alive! Thanks to all of the great advice, all of them are still kicking. Thanks for taking the time out of your busy lives to give me advice and answer my questions,because I have had a lot of them. And to anyone reading this who is thinking of not coming back to this forum for whatever reason, please reconsider, because I have went to probably ten different sites looking for answers and even though some were helpful, not one of them offered even half the information that badman's does,so hang in there and give this place a chance. You'll be glad you did.
superpap56
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2015, 11:22:31 PM »

amen --- well i think it's all been said ,I may add the following tho maybe..I for 1 am always a mere private message away from someone getting my attention unless life has me out of communication for a bit of time.I know many others if not all feel the same..if someone, and this applies to all newer members , feels like any older member seems a bit more approachable to them ..pm them and share your issue,and i and most will help best we can ,or we will go to a more knowledgeable member on the particular issue and address their attention to you and the issue . I personally done this a number of times to good effect . Good luck and thanks for having the  goodness of spirit to own what you feel was your mistake in whatever  the misunderstanding may have been , and I feel sure the group will respond in  kind .
The Dave

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2016, 01:10:11 PM »

all people should be treated with respect. We were all beginners at one point. Lift people up not put them down,,,, Smiley Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation