Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 19, 2019, 12:05:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: red cherry shrimp... can I try again?  (Read 16832 times)
Tara7

Tanks: 1 55g planted

« on: September 14, 2011, 11:15:42 PM »

I have a 55g heavily planted aquarium with cardinals, red eye and serpae tetras, adolfoi catfish and 2 blue rams, all seem peaceful get along fine. Several months ago I acquired 8 cherry shrimp and they all disappeared! I thought that they had sadly perhaps been made a meal of... But a few days ago to my surprise and delight, I saw one cherry shrimp climbing one of my branches. I was thrilled but he/she has since disappeared again. I would love to try again with shrimp and was wondering if any of you think I could try again? A :happy:lso wondering if there is reasonable hope any of the others are there, hidden somewhere . . . happy
dojolvr27

Aquariast since June 2010

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 12:26:41 PM »

You can give it try yea, but I have heard that Red Cherry shrimp are prolific breeders so you might have more than you can see. They are probably just hiding really well, especially if you did see one in the last couple days.
I have no experiece with these shrimp but I read a lot about then because I was planning on getting some at one point.
Good luck.

One fish, two fish; crayfish, no fish! :-o
Josh40

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 06:31:24 PM »

I've kept Cherry Shrimp both with and without fish and I've noticed, not just with Shrimp, but other inverts (snails etc) that you see them MUCH more when they're kept on their own. I realise this isn't everyones idea of an interesting tank though, and keeping them with fish is definitely possible. Dojo's right, they are extremely prolific! but with fish, the babies are far too tempting a snack. Some might survive, with plenty of hiding places.
You could try putting some boiled vegetable in to see how many you've got left, since IME they tend to swarm it, but with fish around, they might be a little apprehensive or get harassed if they do come out. They're pretty zippy though, one nip from a hungry fish sends them launching in the opposite direction and into the nearest hiding spot.
pokey6

Tanks: 6 g, 14g, 36g, 46g,75g, 80g

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:15:08 PM »

Tara

Check your filter reservoir. I thought all mine had been food as well and when I went to clean the filter I noticed ALL of them in the filter reservoir. Also. If you dont' have your filter intake covered, make sure you do. They will get sucked up.
Tara7

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 12:04:50 AM »

Thank you so much, that's terrific input and advice. happy I might try the vegetable idea first, to see if there really are any shrimp there. I have 2 aquaclear 70 power filters. Would these suck up the shrimp? The intake tubes usually cover up with plant matter... but I clean them regularly also.
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 08:19:38 PM »

Tara,

I suspect your RCS are there, but well hidden in your planted tank. You couold probably add a few more, anyway, and see what happens.

I have RCS in my main 25G and in my 10G guppy tank. I started with a couple, then added 3-4 more and then a couple more. Now I have countless numbers....

GB
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 11:59:12 AM »

If you get more, make sure you have a mix of females (bright red) and males (brownish). You'll soon have LOTS!!
Tara7

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 01:27:16 PM »

Way to go, thanks again. Well I tried the boiled veg last night but did not see any this AM alas... Sad Still pondering, and maybe I will try my luck with them again. Would the yellow shrimp be as prolific? I do feel somewhat encouraged by all your input  goldfish
Tara7

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 02:16:38 PM »

Check your filter reservoir. I thought all mine had been food as well and when I went to clean the filter I noticed ALL of them in the filter reservoir. Also. If you dont' have your filter intake covered, make sure you do. They will get sucked up.
Pokeye6 you were RIGHT!!! today I checked my filter reservoir and found 5 RCS,   Wink It's the first time as I know I would have noticed this before when I clean my filters, which is quite often. There were also some tiny pond snails, (food for all my assassin snails which are proliferating, thought they had eaten them all) and some jelly looking things clinging to the side of the filter media basket... would that be eggs???  I put the shrimp back and off they went, still alive. I also noticed a transparent shrimp like shell on the substrate. Is it a shell? Now what do I do? How can I prevent the little shrimp from being sucked up the filter tube. This such a new development that maybe I should check on the filter reservoir every day? I'm kind of excited happy
redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 07:20:58 PM »

Tara if your worried about the RCS being sucked up the filter intake maybe try a a single ankle tight (think its a pop sock, nylon ankle high thing that comes in various colours).

Just pop it over the end and should prevent them getting sucked down , however you may have to clean it regular as debris will collect.  Make sure you rinse t well first too.

Hope it helps lol

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
Tara7

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »

Redfan thanks, i will try pop socks  happy
Tara7

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 12:31:49 AM »

Update: well it hase been nearly a month and so far I have seen two rather large bright red RCS after lights out, but also at times during the day, and today I saw a smaller red one and a light colored RCS. So maybe I'm in luck  happy My fish don't seem to bother about them . . .?
Carlo

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2011, 07:34:21 PM »

I don't know if this will work with shrimp that share a tank with fish, but I have a tank with nothing but shrimp and plants.  When I drop an algae wafer, the next day they are all over the place where I dropped it.
Cptn. Ahab

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 07:58:58 PM »

All of mine were hidding in the various plants potted in the tank but will swarm when boiled greens are put in the tank.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation