Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 25, 2014, 05:51:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cinder block stand?  (Read 3482 times)
Tammy

« on: September 21, 2011, 07:10:40 PM »

I recently acquired a free 55 gallon tank which I would really love to set up sooner than later. It was free and is just the tank only. I have already figured out lids and lighting but I'm trying to come up with an affordable solution for a stand. I'm handy with tools but a saw is not something I have access to so building my own wooden stand is a bit out of the question. I have been searching and researching alternate options. I came across several sites that mentioned cinder block stands. Has anyone used one? Are they truly safe? I have hardwood floors and would have to put a rug or something under it. Any information/insight anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Ed

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 07:42:59 PM »

Yes, cinder block or cement block (the stronger of the two) would both be fine.  I'd use three stacks - one on each end and one in the middle.

In addition to the rug on the floor, I would recommend using a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" building insulation foam between the top of the blocks and the bottom of your aquarium.  This is a somewhat stiff foam and is generally wrapped in aluminum foil or something similar.  The blocks are not exactly the same dimensions - although they are very close.  The building foam would allow the aquarium to settle as needed and to level itself off on top of the blocks.

Tammy

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »

Wonderful! I am guessing I can get that foam at the hardware store along with the cement blocks? On a few sites I read about using a few sheets of plywood between the blocks as shelves. Is that a safe option? Is there anything special I should look for when buying these things? Thank you so much for your help!
Ed

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 08:57:01 PM »

You should be able to purchase all of the above at your local home supply center, i.e. Home Depot, etc.

As long as you don't overload the plywood with anything real heavy and just use it for storage of extra supplies, etc, yes you should be just fine.

russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 09:31:47 PM »

Hi Tammy,

In my experience, hardwood floors, rugs and cinder blocks don't go together very well.

You said you were not in favors of saws. How about a drill and a wrench?  If you could plan out your stand on scratch paper, then you can simply go to your local lumber yard and have them cut 2x4 to your specified lengths. Drill starter holes for 3/8th inch lag screws. Drill a counter hole deep enough to sink the lag screw head. Use your wrench (manual socket or power wrench) to sink the lag screws for the legs and brace and tank rest. It is not necessary to have a complete top to rest your tank on. Just need to be able to rest all for corners of your tank.

I made very few cuts of my own when assembling my fish rooms. I had all the rack and stand pieces cut at my local lumber yard and just put all the pieces together with lag screws between 3/8 and 1/2 sized screws about 4 inches length. that was for over 50 aquariums from 55 gal down to 10 gals. Same for the stands and racks of my shop and hatchery tanks.

Somewhere on this site is a few illustrations by members DYI stands. Can't think of where they may be at the moment though. happy

* I took so long posting that several other replies snuck in *

* BCA02.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 1079 times.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:40:04 PM by russ » Logged

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Ed

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2011, 09:36:49 PM »

In my experience, hardwood floors, rugs and cinder blocks don't go together very well.

Russ, just curious, why not?  I know of several folks who have done this and to my knowledge, have not had any problems.  Of course, their floors were supported underneath, but is there another reason?

Thanks in advance for explaining.

Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2011, 09:56:15 PM »

I had a 55g on 3 stacks of 3 cinder blocks for a few years. You can attach velcro strips around the bottom of the tank and add fabric to hide everything, too Wink

And I have hardwood floors.....

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 10:12:49 PM »

I may have to stand corrected...lol 75% of my experience with cinder/cement blocks/hardwood floor and rug(s) was pure aesthetic fopaux and 25% just was not functional in the setting I observed.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Ed

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 04:29:56 AM »

Ahhhhhhh OK, the "old" aesthetics look and feel   happy

Tammy

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 07:05:31 PM »

Thank you for the quick replies. My husband and I are still negotiating which way to go. I showed him this thread and some of the the sites I was looking at last night. He's worried a cinder block stand won't work out. I'm on the fence lol. I'm still waiting on the silicone to dry and see if my resealing attempts worked so I guess I have a few weeks yet before I need to really make a decision.
Shari
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 09:52:00 PM »

OK. I've been looking through every picture I have on the internet...I didn't realize I had so many...to find a pic of my block stand. I can't find much Smiley

This is Jack. If you look in the far right botttom of this pic, you can see the block under the tank...sort of.

It was simple...basically. 3 stacks of 4 blocks. 1 on each end, 1 in the middle. We put a rubberized mat under it to protect the floor from both the blocks and water. Nothing fancy. A decent looking outdoor "rug" with a rubber backing works.

Leveling is fun, but since you don't want shims directly under the tank, and it is too heavy to try to level from the bottom, so...level the top row of bricks. It takes some tweaking, but it works Smiley

Hope that helps and sorry I couldn't find a better pic happy

Fish Pimp  kewl

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

Tammy

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 07:11:44 PM »

That's a beautiful fish! What kind is it?
Shari
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 08:25:26 PM »

Thanks.  Jack was an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey and my pride for a number of years. Unfortunately, he passed.....

Fish Pimp  kewl

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's