Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2017, 06:06:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anti-theft detectors kill fish?  (Read 14803 times)
rmiller

Tanks: 10G betta/Neon, 30G Oscar

« on: October 29, 2011, 06:20:43 PM »

(shame on me) I just bought a betta from Walmart. The girl at the next register freaks out and tells me that when I walk through the theft detection bars that I have to hold the fish above my head or it will go into shock and die! This girl is dead serious and runs over to the greater to "confirm" this. The greater said that it is store policy because the laser or whatever make the things work sends an electrical shock through the fish and kills it.

Has anyone else heard of or experienced this? I think its just an excuse they use to not have to refund fish that have died due to poor care. Is there any shread of truth to this at all?

Lizon

Tanks: 10 gallon: Betta, Harlequin Rasbora 20 Gallon, Black Phantom Tetra, Kuhli Loaches, Ghost shrimp, Panda corys, emerald corys

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 06:28:47 PM »

Ive never heard of such a thing. I would think that humans being made up of a good portion of water, you would think we would get zapped too lol

The ability to love and be loved is the greatest gift.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 09:33:44 PM »

Does Wal Mart affix anti theft tags to the fish bags?

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
rmiller

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2011, 11:40:00 PM »

The greeter tried to say that the lasers that beam between them will basically electrcute the fish. I thought it was a bunch of huey but they were dead serious.

Lizon

Tanks: 10 gallon: Betta, Harlequin Rasbora 20 Gallon, Black Phantom Tetra, Kuhli Loaches, Ghost shrimp, Panda corys, emerald corys

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 12:36:05 AM »

I havent seen them attach anything to the bag when they sell a fish.

Shuggy

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 05:26:31 AM »

A "laser" is just a monochromatic light source and can't cause an electrical shock that i'm aware of. [Light amplification by the stimulated emission of radiation]

The tags are just magnetic strips as far as I'm aware and the Paddles you walk between would just detect the magnetic field from it.

If I die, I hope my GF doesn't sell my fishing tackle for what I said it cost!!
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 08:19:55 AM »

I think they were putting you on.
Check youtube for a funny video of people walking out of walmart holding fish over thier heads.
Wink

Waiting will fill
Ruthy
Veterinarian

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 08:55:36 AM »

Where's the video? lol
I really doubt it'd kill them to be honest
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2011, 09:45:33 AM »

Sounds like a fish tale to me.  Wink

~Lissa
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 09:46:26 AM »

If that magnetic energy would have the potential to kill a fish they would never be allowed to use it on people. Miscarriages, cell changes, cancer comes to mind.

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 11:29:38 AM »

Its all in the tag. No tag, no issue. The type of tags may make a little bit of a difference. Tags basically operate on the same principle, but some are a little stronger (Gator tags). Again, no tag, no issue. With tag, little issue. Boils down to liability. 'If' there is any chance, then the store is responsible for remedy of that chance.

Personally, I have never seen or heard of this until this thread. When I first read this, I thought, hmmmmm, bunch of hooey. Then I decided to google it and there was a lot of information on the subject. More than I wanted to read.

* BCA02.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 2690 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
rmiller

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 12:06:01 PM »

I was laughing the whole time they were saying this. I refused to hold my fish above my head so the greeter did. I promised them I would find out and let them know next time I'm in. Im pretty sure they were trying to punk me.

russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »

I don't think they were trying to punk yopu. Management team probably got some memo to pass around and tell their employees to inform their customers.

(George Bernard Shaw)
Lizon

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2011, 12:36:20 PM »

I dont think i could hold a straight face and try to tell a customer to hold a fish over their head while exiting the store. And besides isnt the scanners at the checkout line the same thing?

KiloG

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 01:04:24 PM »

I hate to say this, but last week I bought two pictus cats from walmart. Looked healthy and were less than half price of lfs.

I walked right through the scanners when leaving and actually had to go back in for something that was forgot before leaving again. So three total walk throughs and still two healthy cats in QT.  kewl

So I personally think its no problem.

20g soon to be shell dweller tank
10g planted betta tank with 3 ottos and some ghost shrimp
65g 4 regular 4 green and 5 albino tiger  barbs, 3 pitcus cat, 1common pleco, 6 kuhli loaches, and a Firemouth
dojolvr27

Aquariast since June 2010

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 01:20:07 PM »

I would think if the anti-theft detectors were gonna shock and kill the fish then it would die instantly? Am I right? And it didn't in your case or in Kilos case OR in any one of ours experiences so.....I think it is a bunch of HOOOEY!
Also Lizon is right about the scanners at the checkout and even though they don't actually scan the bag o fish, I haven't seen them raise the bag way up over those scanners either.

I would have a hard time keeping a straight face too!  11579

One fish, two fish; crayfish, no fish! :-o
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »

Ok, so this is not a myth and it is not a rumor. How are we going to tackle this misconception? I don't think anyone actually answered my question earlier...."Does Wal Mart affix anti theft tags to the fish bags?" Again, no tags, no issue.

* 01.gif (2.61 KB, 50x50 - viewed 2788 times.)

(George Bernard Shaw)
rmiller

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 03:31:08 PM »

With out a doubt I think this topic can be closed. No fish have been harmed by being carried through the theft detectors at Wal-Mart.

gmarica

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2011, 07:24:31 AM »

Ive never heard of such a thing. I would think that humans being made up of a good portion of water, you would think we would get zapped too lol

Haha agree on that one. I have never heard of something like that either. But anyway did you try to google it? Maybe there are various sources telling you whether to believe it or not.
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »

With out a doubt I think this topic can be closed. No fish have been harmed by being carried through the theft detectors at Wal-Mart.

Done

(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's