Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 26, 2019, 03:14:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Mystery Snail - Just Floating x 3 days  (Read 15717 times)
TruCelt
Noticeably Yakky Exception

Tanks: 100 gal. Loach tank, 12 gal. snails, shrimp, and betta

« on: August 04, 2012, 09:09:50 AM »

HElllloooooooooo Badmanians!  It's been so long that my "Forever" login had worn out - I had to remember my password!   question

I need advice from you snail experts.  I have a Blue Mystery snail who is just floating.  If I pick him up, he does respond, but very lackadaisically.  Just sort of a slight crunching up into his shell, and curling/uncurling of his sensors.

He lives in a well-established (x 5 years) 12 gallon tank with a few ramshorns and MTS and one very laid back red Betta.  Everyone else in his tank is acting normally.

The tank gets a mix of Ed's brine shrimp flakes and HTH algae flakes daily, with a treat of frozen brine shrimp and a sinking algae pellet on water change days.  The substrate is mostly smooth white coral bits.

There is no change in his coloring, or any visible changes to his skin.  No bad smells.  What I can see of his foot looks normal as well.  Very healthy shell throughout.

I bought him about nine months ago, already quite large, though he's grown a bit since then.

I confess, it's been so long since I checked water parameters, that I see my kit has expired, so I'll get to PetSmart later today for a new one and report back.  But they do get a 50% water change almost every week, and just had one last Sunday.  I use Prime water conditioner.  Did the big tank the same day, and everybody there is happy as can be.  I have a system which ensures that I did remember to put in the conditioner.

Temp is normal at about 78F, and the heater is working.

Might he just be getting old?  How long do Mystery snails live?  What else might cause this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it . . . Edgar Allan Poe
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 09:11:42 AM »

I don't know.... but HIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

King Cartman

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 03:04:23 PM »

HElllloooooooooo Badmanians!  It's been so long that my "Forever" login had worn out - I had to remember my password!   question

I need advice from you snail experts.  I have a Blue Mystery snail who is just floating.  If I pick him up, he does respond, but very lackadaisically.  Just sort of a slight crunching up into his shell, and curling/uncurling of his sensors.

He lives in a well-established (x 5 years) 12 gallon tank with a few ramshorns and MTS and one very laid back red Betta.  Everyone else in his tank is acting normally.

The tank gets a mix of Ed's brine shrimp flakes and HTH algae flakes daily, with a treat of frozen brine shrimp and a sinking algae pellet on water change days.  The substrate is mostly smooth white coral bits.

There is no change in his coloring, or any visible changes to his skin.  No bad smells.  What I can see of his foot looks normal as well.  Very healthy shell throughout.

I bought him about nine months ago, already quite large, though he's grown a bit since then.

I confess, it's been so long since I checked water parameters, that I see my kit has expired, so I'll get to PetSmart later today for a new one and report back.  But they do get a 50% water change almost every week, and just had one last Sunday.  I use Prime water conditioner.  Did the big tank the same day, and everybody there is happy as can be.  I have a system which ensures that I did remember to put in the conditioner.

Temp is normal at about 78F, and the heater is working.

Might he just be getting old?  How long do Mystery snails live?  What else might cause this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
how old?
TruCelt

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »

Hiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  To you too!  I've missed you guys!

I don't know how old.  Like I said, it was pretty big when I bought it.  Maybe 1" in diameter?  and now maybe anothe 1/8" or more?

I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it . . . Edgar Allan Poe
TruCelt

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »

OK, so water tests are all great.

Ammonia - <.25 ppm  (i.e. 0)

NitrAte <20
NitrIte 0
GH 150 (Harder than I would have expected
Chlorine 0
KH 100 (ish between 80 and 120)
PH 7.8  (a little higher than I would have expected.)

Temp 78F

Nothing much illuminating there.

He's in much the same mode today.  Very little movement, even at feeding time, but still clearly alive.

Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 04:05:37 AM »

Average life span: 2-3 years.

Add a piece of fruit or a small piece of a vegetable to see if you can get it to respond to the food and stop floating around. 

Perform another water change.

It might just be old and if it is there really isn't anything that you can do but try the suggestions above and hope for the best.

Good Luck

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
TruCelt

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 12:13:50 PM »

Thanks everyone.

He came out for a bit Sunday afternoon, but this morning he was gone.  Sad  I think it must have been old age.

Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 12:53:08 AM »

Sorry! Sad

If you decide to get another one you might have better luck if you buy a small one so you will know that it's not old.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
TruCelt

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »

Yes, I know.  :: sigh :: 

This is Celtling's tank, so I let her make the decisions as long as it's nothing harmful.  And she wanted those two snails in the worst way.  There was a second one which was bigger than this guy, and only lasted 2-3 weeks.

Oh well.  Thanks to you I have the comfort of knowing he had a yummy zucchini treat on his final day!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation