Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 23, 2019, 08:09:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lamasil with Shrimp?? ADF treatment  (Read 6169 times)
Bibo

Canada Canada

Tanks: 6 gallon Eheim cube

« on: November 22, 2011, 10:33:12 AM »

So I have been doing a lot of research on a fungus that I believe my adf has been infected with. It is called chytrid.
One of the best and most mild treatments for it is lamasil, a foot fungus spray. Does anyone know if this is safe for shrimp?

If you are absent during my struggle, don't expect to be present during my success. - Will Smith
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2011, 11:27:41 AM »

The Terbinafine Hydrochloride Treatment (Lamisil) is done in a hospital tank rather than the main tank. It seems rather involved since you cannot return the frog to the main tank between treatments. So you need a treatment tank and a holding tank. And then, sometime before the frog goes back to the main tank it needs to be cleaned.

Are you concerned that your shrimp are carrying the fungus and want to treat them as well? I have read that this fungus does grow on freshwater shrimp, so I would be concerned. I am not sure how they would be affected by the treatment. I think I would separate my shrimp and frogs and just not keep them together.

Sorry, this isn't much help, I suppose. Let us know if you find anything.

~Lissa
Bibo

Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2011, 11:52:33 AM »

No, it doesn't grow on them, but the whole environment has to be cleaned and stripped. Even though the shrimp won't get the fungus, it can have the spores on its body. Like a mosquito carrying malaria, the shrimp can bring the fungus into the water environment.

If you are absent during my struggle, don't expect to be present during my success. - Will Smith
CrazyCatPeekin

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 12:09:27 PM »

Yeah...that is kind of what I meant...they can carry it. I probably didn't say it clearly enough.

Anyway, I have done some checking and haven't found anything about using Lamisil on shrimp. I will ask on one of the other forums I am on that has a lot of shrimp keepers and let you know if I get a response.

~Lissa
Bibo

Canada Canada

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2011, 12:23:28 PM »

Thank you! Look forward to ur reply!

Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2011, 02:12:00 AM »

The shrimp can't stay in the tank while you clean it and throw the gravel, etc. away so there is no need to expose them to the treatment.

The ADFs and Shrimp now need separate QT tanks.
The ADF gets its treatment bath and stays out of the main tank.
Keep the shrimp in some type of small barebottom QT tank.
Change the water in the shrimp QT tank often to remove anything that might be on them.
When your tank is up and running again put the shrimp back in it.

ADFs won't survive in a tank that isn't fully cycled under normal conditions so this is going to be a bit difficult to get right.
The QT tank is going to need 100% daily water changes. No slacking.
The main tank is going to need to be fully cycled and stable before the ADF returns to it.

I hope that helps you and Good Luck.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
CrazyCatPeekin

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 08:14:11 AM »

I think the concern that the OP has with the shrimp isn't that she needs to keep them together during treatment. It is that the shrimp can carry the fungus. So once treatment is over, if the shrimp are not treated then they can re-introduce the fungus once treatment is over and the two are together again.

I haven't gotten any real response on this from other shrimp keepers. The few who have responded don't keep shrimp with ADF because the ADF generally will eventually eat them. As I see it, you have a couple of choices with the shrimp.

You can try the treatment and see if they survive or you can just plant to keep them separate from now on. What kind of shrimp is it again? And you only have one, correct? If it were me, I would get another tank for the shrimp and keep them separated and, once everything is settled and everyone is healthy, get them both some friends.

Good luck and let us know what you decide and how it goes.

~Lissa
Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 02:48:16 AM »

Keep the shrimp in some type of small barebottom QT tank.
Change the water in the shrimp QT tank often to remove anything that might be on them.
When your tank is up and running again put the shrimp back in it.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
CrazyCatPeekin

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 07:56:32 AM »

OK...so now I am curious. If the fungus is capable of surviving on the shrimp, how does doing only WC "disinfect" them, so to speak, without any meds?

I'm not trying to be contrary here, I really just want to know.  Smiley

~Lissa
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

United States United States

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 01:19:45 PM »

Bibo,

What is the temperature that your ADFs and shrimp kept at in their tank(s)?

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
Debra
Senior Staff

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 02:31:52 AM »

Think about it..........Fresh Water change every day............AND the fact that shrimp MOLT!  Wink

I don't believe that between the fresh water and molting that the shrimp will carry fungus around on it forever.

Is the ADF still alive?

Bibo

Canada Canada

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2012, 12:55:12 PM »

everything in that tank died... Sad

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation