Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2017, 06:00:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Filter Rinsing: Myth?  (Read 30594 times)
7Tim7

« on: November 27, 2011, 06:19:00 PM »

I have always wondered why many online sites and books that I have read say to rinse your filter (after you clean it) with aquarium water. The articles I have read say it is to reintroduce the bacteria back into the filter. What's the difference between introducing bacteria into the filter before you put it back, and just puting the filter back into the aquarium water, where there is already bacteria? (Assuming that you wring the tap water out the filter before puting it back)
Lizon

Tanks: 10 gallon: Betta, Harlequin Rasbora 20 Gallon, Black Phantom Tetra, Kuhli Loaches, Ghost shrimp, Panda corys, emerald corys

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »

I have never noticed it saying to reintroduce bacteria, or rather dont remember. I how ever do rinse my filter out in used tank water to get tje sludge and food and what not from it.. a clogged up filter can breed bacteria you dont want. Pretty much he reason i do it.

The ability to love and be loved is the greatest gift.
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2011, 06:33:51 PM »

I don't use tapwater to rinse or clean my filters! If there is chlorine or chloramine in your tapwater it would destroy your bacteria. Rinsing it afterwards in tankwater would not re-establish the bacteria colony, your tank would have to go through the cycling process again.

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2011, 06:46:47 PM »

The bacteria do not live in the water.  The majority of them are in the filter although a small amount are on the gravel and decorations.  You rinse the the filter to get the gunk out and you do that in used tank water so that you are not introducing anything harmful to the filter.

When in doubt, do a water change.
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:13 PM »

It would depend on several variables. One would be the 'type' of filter you are using. Another would depend on the type media you are using. And then another would be a combination of those two.

Lets take the first one.....Type of filter. Does the filter allow for separate mechanical, biological and chemical filtration? Or, is one of those media pulling double duty, such as a sponge media which serves as both mechanical and biological?  What is the entire filtration loop doing and where is the water flowing? Are there distinct/separate media chambers for each mechanical, biological and chemical? If there is, then it would be simple to clean the mechanical media without disturbing the other media.

What type of media..........Is it gravel, sponge, floss or some other material? If its floss, then the easiest thing to do with floss mechanical media is to just throw it away and replace. If gravel, such as in a under gravel filter, then it would be a matter of performing gravel vacuuming with each partial water change. If sponge that is pulling double duty as mech/bio, then gently rinse in 'dechlorinated' tap water at approx. same temperature as aquarium.

On rinsing mechanical filter in old tank water......this is my own personal preference, but I never rinse any media in old tank water. To me, it is like rinsing off your dishes in old rinse water. If its a floss filter material...this stuff is not designed to be rinsed and/or brushed off and reused. If it is a sponge.....then where does one squish the water out? In another bucket? Back into the old tank water?

If you have a mechanical media that is separate from other media and not pulling double duty, it is ok to rinse in tap water. Think of it...if this is done in conjunction with a partial water change, then you will be adding dechlorintor to the water anyway.

Its not a matter of having a clogged up filter 'breeding' bad bacteria as much as having the water not passing through the media and 'channeling' away from the media and no longer performing well. Also, a well maintained mechanical filter is to have it trap particles (down to the smallest it is designed to trap) and 'keep' gunk from interfering with the bio media.

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »

There was a good discussion about this a while back ..
It would be a good read .

But basically most of the beneficial bacteria live in on surfaces. tank walls, decor,the filter, and in the little nooks and crannies in the filter media.
 In order to survive ( and give us a stable tank ). those bacteria colonies need a good source of oxygen and  their "food".
 Our filters do collect solid waste as well . If there is a buildup of waste in the media the good bacterial colony will suffocate and starve.
Keeping a clean (not sterile ) filter ensures that we have not only good filter flow for our fish but a strong healthy bacterial colony as well.

Here is a link to the Q & A about how and why we rinse our filter media.
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=26964.0

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 08:49:12 PM »

That link sounds familiar  happy

Would this still be considered a misconception?

Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 09:28:35 PM »

A lot of people have misconceptions regarding this topic  Wink

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 05:32:37 AM »

Well my to have my 2p - I would say if your running an external filter with distinct "baskets" for your media then there is little harm in rinsing out the old mechanical (sponge) filters in tap water. 

Personally I have done this for a long time with no impact whatsoever on my tank (chemical testing).  I clean my filters fairly regularly however what I would say is when using a bucket of tank water that one would attempt to wash a mechanical sponge filter in only results in that small body of water becoming very dirty very quickly.

Much prefer to run it under a running tap, squeeze as much excess water out then give each sponge a little soak in fresh dechlorinated water before adding back to the main system.

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
superpap56
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 07:44:38 PM »

having come late to numerous topics lately and seeing no need to comment--and again being late--and again needing not to comment---let me comment----I agree with Rasaqua.
mpfsr

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 06:46:00 AM »

I got a bunch of new fusion HOB filters that have removable holders for the media..once a week I clean the filter pads running them under tap water and a spray hose. The bio media holder gets dipped into used tank water and the rest of the filter gets the hose just like the pad. They have a great flow rate but this makes them clog fast as I use them in my grow out tanks. I never had any issues with my tank cycles. I do this weekly to keep the water flowing across my media fresh and as clean as possible. Maybe my area has less crap in our water as I know several fish keepers in my area don't even use prime or any dechlorinater at all just straight tap water in there tanks. I'm way to scared to loose my fish to try something like that. So in short only the bio media holder of my filter stays out of tap water but the rest gets scrubbed out and pressure washed in reg. tap water.

Am I gambling doing this?  would love to hear what others think

\\\"If your fish could talk would they thank you?\\\"
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2011, 12:32:00 PM »

No, I believe you are not. You are just taking precautions.  happy

redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 02:16:06 PM »

Nope, as I mentioned before and as far as I'm concerned the only part / media that NEEDS to be cleaned in tank water is the bio media (as tap water will kill the bacteria) everything should be fine to be rinsed out in tap water and tbh it's way easier to use fast running water to clean parts out than it is struggling to do it in a bucket of tank water.

Would still use dechlorinator though for water changes etc as you still do.

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
paget

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 01:08:53 PM »

Here's a http://www.selah.k12.wa.us/soar/sciproj99/stevensciproj.html link to a science fair experiment I would have loved to have performed! The results tend to indicate that rinsing carbon in tap water will reduce it's efficiency.
Of course, most serious aquarium enthusiasts don't tend to use carbon filtering products because they are expensive, inefficient, and generally unnecessary.
But it could be the reason that manufacturers of carbon filter cartridges would recommend using tank water to rinse filters.
MattTheMorrisSailor
Student

Owned by his fish tank since 28/12/10

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 04:23:08 PM »

I'd say that makes sense; if it's removing particles then it's just going to absorb them from tap water, especially in tap water with high DOC's etc. If you use tank water then your removing the large amounts of gunk and can just replace the water used instead.

One day we shall live in glass boxes and fish shall be looking after us...
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 12:38:40 AM »

I'd say that makes sense; if it's removing particles then it's just going to absorb them from tap water, especially in tap water with high DOC's etc. If you use tank water then your removing the large amounts of gunk and can just replace the water used instead.

Carbon would be more likely to 'adsorb' molecules from tap water and 'absorb' particulate matter in the aquarium water along with adsorbing molecules from aquarium water.  happy

A quick rinse under tap is all that is necessary to just remove any bits of carbon dust (if brand new carbon). It really shouldn't take a rinsing long enough under tap water to impact its chemical filtration efficiency just to clear the tiny carbon bits and dust from new carbon.

* BCA02.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 12520 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
MattTheMorrisSailor
Student

Owned by his fish tank since 28/12/10

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2011, 01:53:39 PM »

Oh I wasn't saying it'd be a dramatic difference but you know the saying, 'every little helps'  Smiley more for people that have a tendency to rinse it to death than anything. doesn't really bother me too much anyway as while I technically have carbon, it had probably been exhausted several months back by now, so just holds bacteria anyway so no sense in killing them.

One day we shall live in glass boxes and fish shall be looking after us...
Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 08:58:32 PM »

Since this has been opened back up, I'll tell ya'll what I do Wink

I have only canisters, so HOBs don't apply Smiley Also note, I speak in simple terms most can understand. If you want to get technical, talk to Rasaqua some more lol

I open, remove and clean the impeller and anything I'm able to take apart. I have tons of different size bottle brushes for getting into nooks and crannys. I rinse the filter floss if possible, or it's replaced. I dip the baskets with the ceramic pieces up and down in the filter to remove the worst gunk, and set them aside (if they are really gunky, I rinse them in a bucket of tank water). Then I rinse the sponge under the tap with as much water pressure as I can not splash out of the sink Wink Then I dump the water out of the canister into the nearest needy planter, run it under HOT water to make the snails let go, and rinse it out Smiley

Fill it back up with dechlorinated water, put it all back together and you're good to go biggrin

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's