Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 26, 2018, 11:39:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jewel Cichlid and Red Tailed Shark salt tolerance  (Read 3606 times)
7Tim7

« on: December 17, 2011, 03:23:57 PM »

As a treatment for a Velvet disease outbreak in my tank, I plan to use an Ich or Velvet medication. I would also like to use salt. A fish disease/treatment book that I have says to use one teaspoon salt per 5 gallons water when treating Velvet disease. Are Jewel cichlids of Red Tailed Sharks salt tolerant to that extent?
MRM
Titles, I don't need no stinking title.
Senior Staff

My Boo is getting Bigger!

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 04:21:56 PM »

Tim, Personally I would not mix treatments. Go with either the medication or the salt. Not both. Personally I would go with the medication.

The following statement is true. The previous statement was false.
MattTheMorrisSailor
Student

Owned by his fish tank since 28/12/10

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 04:45:22 PM »

Well I tried searching on something called 'scirus' which shows all scientific papers available on the internet (I use it for research for Aquaculture/fisheries course), it's normally very reliable, therefore I was surprised that there is not a great deal of information on either of these species, other than their ITIS reports, not a lot of use in this case I'm afraid. I guess we just need to find some other people who have kept/ keep them, though I don't ever remember ever being told that their are particularly susceptible to salinity.

Though I would agree with MRM in any case. The thing about fish books is that when you have quite a few, you notice that recommended doses/ sizes of tanks/ water changes etc. etc. are nearly always different, though to be fair they do tend to be safe and have various levels of helpfulness.
All in all it falls down to the ecology in the tank, and as a quote from my lecturer "ecology is woolly."

One day we shall live in glass boxes and fish shall be looking after us...
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:32:48 PM »

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm007

* BCA02.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 375 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
7Tim7

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 06:11:51 PM »

Treated tank. 2 Cichlids dead, one still sick. RTS sick (not terminal yet) Jewel cichlids top condition, even more colourful than before
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation