Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 22, 2019, 08:29:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding a new "favorite" fish to exsisting tank  (Read 2966 times)
dojolvr27

Aquariast since June 2010

« on: January 13, 2012, 10:08:07 PM »

Hello everyone.  I have 3 Dojos, 9 White Clouds, and 3 Long Finned Zebra Danios in my 55g.  I want to have a total of 12 White Clouds and 12 Danios altogether in this tank soon.
Today at Walmart the Calico Fantail Goldfish caught my eye. Cutest little thing. I have never kept these before. I'd like to have 3. ( I did not purchase them yet...)
I also have a 2 inch Common Goldfish that my son won at the fair last year.

So can 3 Dojos, 12 WC, 12 Danios, 1 Common Goldfish and 3 Fantails work in this tank? OR should I just have 3 Dojos, 3 Fantails and 1 Common Goldfish in this tank? I can put the White Clouds and Danios in my 20G tank with my Crayfish which I'm a little nervous about but I'll do it, if I need to.
I'm leaning more towards the Dojos and Goldfish in this tank.

I have been thinking about the right combos of fish for awhile now and I'm trying to get it right. I have to move some tanks around so after they are all set back up again I can add to my current schools. Adjust fish for added color..etc.

Opinions needed. Thanks  11579

One fish, two fish; crayfish, no fish! :-o
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 10:32:53 PM »

If you have had a common goldfish for a year (I am reading comet here) and it is only 2 inches, I think that that fish is stunted.  Comets grow pretty quickly and they really are only suited for a pond.  I will let others comment on the rest of your stocking because I know nothing about fantails.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:43:10 PM »

Gold fish have a high demand .. Your tank now is already borderline overstocked.

The general rule of thumb for the requirements of the fancy gold fish are 30 gallons for one goldfish and an additional 10 gallon for any other goldfish.....and that doesn't include any other fish at all.

common  goldfish which you have ....are not meant for tanks ..they are pond fish. they will grow to at least 12 inches.

If you seriously want the fantails your tank will be fully stocked with just two of them and the 3 Dojos ..

Think hard about this ..
 You would have to rehome the one common gold fish .

The 20 gallon is big enough for just the cray fish or just the white clouds..

So you would have to rehome the danios and either the crayfish or the white clouds.

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
dojolvr27

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 10:50:03 PM »

Thanks Belinda. I'm seriously thinking of 3 Dojos and the Fantails.

The White Clouds, I will probably add to my 26g. 3ft tank.

I have no problem rehoming the Common Goldfish. So I'll look into that. My son really doesn't pay too much attention to it anyway. He's 5 yrs old.

( I know I just posted a reply to Pat Mary but I don't see it)

dojolvr27

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 10:56:22 PM »

Pat Mary- What my last reply had said was that it is definately a Common Goldfish. He is not stunted from my housing. He has been in a 30g tank since I have had him (October '11)  This is why I wanted to add him to my 55g. I will try to rehome him as I don't really care for these Goldfish but ("she" looks like she has lipstick on. Hehe Kinda cute.

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:37:23 AM »

Ok, I am gonna stir up this pot a little. 

The comet has to go... not arguing that.

Keep the dojos, up the white clouds to 12, and reduce your fain tail dreams to 2.  The danios need to be in a larger group no matter where they live.  Making them a group of 8 or 9 needs to be done.  Just not so sure about doing that in the 55.

The white clouds are so small that their biomass in the tank is almost irrelevant.  I think I would try the danios too.

3 dojos
2 fantails
12 white clouds
9 danios

Watch your nitrates.  That is a heavily stocked tank, but I don't hink its over stocked.  What is your filtration rate?  Make sure you are at the 8-10 range.  As those gold fish grow, you will be doing 60% weekly water changes, but while they are small the standard 50% will be fine.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
dojolvr27

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:23:25 PM »

Thank You Karen. This is just about what I had in mind for this tank. I wanted a top center piece fish and I think the Fantails fit that with also adding some color.
Tanks again  11579

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation