Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 20, 2019, 05:07:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crayfish with no legs  (Read 24565 times)
Megan
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:58:17 PM »

Hi,
I just rescued a white crayfish who had been put in a tank with another one at a fish store I had stopped at. The other crayfish was very territorial and beat the crap out of this poor little guy, who now has NO legs. I asked them if I could have him and they gave him to me. I have him in a small tank and was able to hand feed him some bloodworms (using an extra long tweezers) which he ate with gusto. What can I do for him? I have read that their legs can grow back. Does anyone know how long it takes? Will he grow back his claws too? Is there anything special I should be doing for him? For right now he is in a small hex tank with an undergravel filter and no heater.
Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Shuggy

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 06:59:42 AM »

I know nothing about crayfish .... but well done you for taking it on and trying to save it. Keep it's water uber clean as no legs = lots of open wounds i'm guessing. Feeding it and clean water will hopefully be the winning recipe for this little guy to pull through.

If I die, I hope my GF doesn't sell my fishing tackle for what I said it cost!!
redfan

Tanks: Fluval Roma 65G, Roma 30G, Unspecified 7G, Standard 15G

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 09:36:49 AM »

Hi,

Do you know what species he is?  Querying it as depending on your location he may require a heater to keep the tank at an acceptable temperature.

Shuggy's advice is good and please follow it.  He should grow back his legs in time but it could take upwards of 6 months tbh.  every time he sheds, he will hopefully grow a little more back.  Again depending on the actual species will dictate how often this occurs.  But in my experience they will shed more often if well fed and kept in as advised great water quality.

As for feeding a much easier option given his (assuming) lack of movement is maybe put a defrosted frozen prawn (the regular non flavoured bags of frozen prawns from supermarkets are fine for this) or algae wafer (mix them up so prawn 1 day, wafer next).  Defrost the prawn in a little cup of tank water first then put it right next to him.  This combination of food is what I have found encourages growth.

Keep us updated and good luck Smiley

Fish ... Fish .. and more FISH
Megan
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 02:07:10 PM »

Thanks for your replies! Today he is doing great! I did some reading and picked up some shrimp pellets as they are apparently quite popular with crayfish. I gave him two small ones and put them right by is mouth. He still has the two little "hands" that help get food into his mouth (thanks goodness!!) and he went right for them. He is bright and alert and I really hope I can keep him going and his legs can grow back. Thank you for the idea of the prawns. I will certainly pick some up tomorrow. If he doesn't like them I've got 4 large tanks so someone will eat them (maybe my tiretrack eel will.) I took a pic of him last night which you can see by adding the beginning part to the rest of this url:    pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1600/476350/24012364/400777968.jpg
I read about adding calcium drops to the water but I don't know what I should buy and how much for a 2 gallon tank? Anyone know? Thank again!
rmiller

Tanks: 10G betta/Neon, 30G Oscar

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 05:19:47 PM »

Welcome Megan, to add pics you would need to be a member with at least 10 posts.

Shuggy

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 08:41:21 PM »

Here he is poor wee thing

* poor wee crayfish.jpg (61.58 KB, 800x600 - viewed 1823 times.)

Lizon

Tanks: 10 gallon: Betta, Harlequin Rasbora 20 Gallon, Black Phantom Tetra, Kuhli Loaches, Ghost shrimp, Panda corys, emerald corys

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 09:00:02 PM »

Well bless his little heart.. poor fella.

The ability to love and be loved is the greatest gift.
redfan

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2012, 10:16:13 AM »

He needs something more in the 10 -15G tank range tbh

Not sure about using calcium drops, never felt the need to .. the combination of food will ensure he gets most of what he needs.  Make sure when he sheds his exoskeleton that you leave it in the tank, as crays need to eat it.

Megan
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2012, 12:25:29 PM »

I know he needs something bigger. This was the best I could do on literally no notice. :-( At this point, since he can barely get around and has no legs, I'm not quite ready to invest in a larger tank just yet. If he does well and his legs grow back, then he will definitely be getting an upgrade (insert The Jefferson's theme song here! ) I've been doing some research on that and already have some fun things in mind for him if we can get to that point.  I really hope so. There is something about this little guy that has just stolen my heart. I know you fish people willl understand that.
Megan

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 12:32:17 PM »

Well, I just bit the bullet and joined. I understand that you have to have 10 posts before you can post links? Do the guest posts I made count? I was thinking of getting some HD video of this little guy following his progress (as I think it could be valuable for some) and would like to post links to it on my youtube.
Shuggy

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 01:14:11 PM »

LOL Nope .... that was post number 1 "officially" Smiley

Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 01:26:46 PM »

It's okay, Megan.  Just link to youtube when you have your 10 posts.  It doesn't take very long to get to 10.  Smiley

When in doubt, do a water change.
Lizon

Tanks: 10 gallon: Betta, Harlequin Rasbora 20 Gallon, Black Phantom Tetra, Kuhli Loaches, Ghost shrimp, Panda corys, emerald corys

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 01:44:21 PM »

Just give him lots of tlc megan, just like you are and he'll be fine. You're doung a great job so far.

The ability to love and be loved is the greatest gift.
Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »

What a cutie and neat story happy

I hope he sticks around for a while. It will be great watching him recover.

And don't worry about us fish people understanding....it's aquatic, isn't it Wink and I keep shrimp lol

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2012, 08:38:15 PM »

Good for you to take him in, and to be willing to upgrade as his needs do!  Smiley

Yup, us fish people totally get that (I've just answered an add online where some student wrote he is feeling bad about having to flush a Betta, that his roomie left behind after moving back to Toronto, he is looking for someone who'd take him off his/her hands....haven't heard back yet, hopefully I wasn't too late, or maybe someone else already rescued the poor Betta!)

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
redfan

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 09:21:27 AM »

It will be good when we can follow his (video) progress Smiley

Netti - I hope your not too late!

Shuggy

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 02:19:10 PM »

Is anyone else's head ringing with the Shark's Tale "You're a good person" line??  LOL

Chris

Tanks: 29 gal. Otocinclus Haven

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »

I agree! This is a great story and I commend you on taking care of the little guy. Eagerly look forward to future updates and photos, and hope his legs return!

Hadn't seen Shark Tales but that clip is perfect Shuggy. Wink

"The moment one gives close attention to any one thing, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.”—Henry Miller
Freshwater fish love fresh water!
redfan

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »

Quality Hugh and a great link for what this thread is about.  A little light humour works wonders Smiley

Megan

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 05:34:24 AM »

Hi everyone,
I am sorry to say my little guy passed away. He was fine when I went to bed and he had eaten well, and when I checked on him the next morning he was dead. I am very sad as I was hopeful I could pull him through, but it may be that losing all of his legs at once was just too much for him.  We have a very nice fish store in a suburb not far from me with very knowledgeable people, and it just so happens that one of the guys there keeps only crayfish and was a wealth of information. I followed his advice and I had been very careful about feeding him and keeping his water properly clean but it just wasn't enough. I hope that at the very least he felt comfortable, safe and cared for for the short time he was with me. I wish I had happier news and I am thankful I found this place. I thank you for your help and good wishes.

Megan
Shuggy

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 06:47:30 AM »

Sad  Sorry to hear that Megan I was rooting for the little fella. I'm sure you did all you could so don't feel too bad.

Chris

Tanks: 29 gal. Otocinclus Haven

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 08:37:49 AM »

Sad  Sorry to hear that Megan I was rooting for the little fella. I'm sure you did all you could so don't feel too bad.
Couldn't have said it better. You did far more than you had to, and best of all it was because you chose to do it. Maybe you can devote a tank to raising crayfish, and learning more from the guy from the fish store.

"The moment one gives close attention to any one thing, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.”—Henry Miller
Freshwater fish love fresh water!
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 11:09:53 AM »

With that much trauma, the odds of infection were overwhelming.  Keeping him fed (not easy to do on a critter that can't move) and his water clean was all you could do for him while you waited to see if his/her immune system could win against the impending infection.  You did it all.

My hat is off to you.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 01:23:13 AM »

Ditto

Sorry Megan. I kept watching your thread and hoping he would be ok but as said above, you did all you could do.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
redfan

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 08:43:33 AM »

Megan, So sorry he lost his fight Sad  I ditto the comments made, you did all you could for him.  I think your right, at least he had a comfortable and safe environment for the time he was with you.

Would be lovely to see you try again with a crayfish (whether a rescue or not) and enjoy one living a full life.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's