Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 19, 2018, 11:53:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  Print  
Author Topic: what other fish can I add  (Read 3120 times)
ferretyleelee
« on: April 11, 2011, 08:37:28 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

I have a 4ft by 15 inch by 15inch aquarium and at present i have a 12 inch pleco 3x6 inch tin foil barbs and a 3 inch goldfish what other fish can I add safely without fear of them getting eaten. Also what is the max amount of fish I can put in this aquarium
Thanx for your help
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote

That would be a 47 gallon tank according to the Volume calculator at the top of the screen. Unfortunetly, you can't put anything else in this tank due to your current stocking. Common plecos and tinfoil barbs are tropical fish. Goldfish are coldwater fish. The two are not compatible. When you keep goldfish at tropical temperatures, it slows down/impairs their digestive system to the point that it dramatically decreases their lifespan from around 20 years (depends on the species) to maybe three or four at the most, if they are lucky. Tropical species cannot survive in coldwater temperatures - their metabolism slows to the point at which they become non-functional. There is no happy medium between the two where both types can be kept comfortably. Tinfoil barbs get ginormous and need to be kept in schools, which means at least 6. There is no way a 47 gallon tank is large enough to accomodate 6 full grown tinfoil barbs. Nor is it long enough to accomodate a 12" pleco, which has not yet reached it's adult size. Common pleco are typically heated pond fish - they get too large for home aquaria, unless your tank is in the 300/400 gallon range. Sorry, not what you wanted to hear, but it is the truth.

rmiller

Tanks: 10G betta/Neon, 30G Oscar

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 03:34:34 PM »
Reply with quoteQuote

ysteb is right. I killed my last goldfish by having a heater in the tank and at what I thought was the right temperature. I had no idea that goldfish were coldwater until I joined badman's.

Please re-home or return what you have and research the species that would be appropriate for your tank size. Start by taking a look at what your local pet stores have available. Write down the scientific name if you can, common names can get confusing. Come back to badman's and research the ones on your list. Keep in mind you want to stock for adult size and temperments of fish do make a difference. Ask lots of questions, there is no such thing as being overly informed as long as the info is correct.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy the learning experience.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation