Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 21, 2019, 07:21:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: all shrimp dieing after W/C  (Read 4083 times)
mpfsr

« on: February 05, 2012, 04:09:49 PM »

I'm at a total loss here...all my shrimp are dead or dieing after my weekly water change. Every tank gets the same treatment 50% weekly need it or not.. Fish are fine even little babies in same tanks fine. My baby crays were acting like they couldn't get off there backs and tails all curling up I did there tank yesterday but none passed away and look better today. Same water went into my baby angel tank with no ill effect. I'm at a total loss here everything checks out as per PH and hardness all normal. Losted every black and red CRS i had Sad

\\\"If your fish could talk would they thank you?\\\"
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:24:14 PM »

If you added any plant fertilizer check if it has any copper in it! Sorry about your RCSs!  Sad

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
Chris

United States United States

Tanks: 29 gal. Otocinclus Haven

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 10:55:53 PM »

So sorry to hear about the loss of so many shrimp! Did you check the other water parameters before or after the 50% WC? I'm not sure what could have caused it but maybe there was something in those tests that could lead to a probable cause. Sad

"The moment one gives close attention to any one thing, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself.”—Henry Miller
Freshwater fish love fresh water!
mpfsr

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 11:12:14 PM »

So sorry to hear about the loss of so many shrimp! Did you check the other water parameters before or after the 50% WC? I'm not sure what could have caused it but maybe there was something in those tests that could lead to a probable cause. Sad

Thx for your responce I didn't check reading before just after it was in 3 different tanks I had this happen one having crayfish others shrimps. 2 tanks way understocked 1 over stocked baby plecos.

thx for the reply but I don't use any ferts at all. There had to be something in the water. I lost over 300 RCS's two tanks totally wiped out all but the baby Kribs and baby Plecos. They seem fine eating and breathing normally. At least my crayfish recovered just had baby Mexican orange crayfish last week. Lost so many shrimps I wanna just cry!!! I really hate not knowing what happened or what to do about it. I have ruled out anything on my hands or in the air or in the hose (drinking water hose for RV's). I always drain hose wash hands use dechlorinator. I'm just stumped, open to any ideas or test to run to help me find the problem.

TheGrissom
Supreme Ruler of all things fishy

Tanks: 1 x 3ft containing 10 x Harlequins

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:49:47 AM »

Sorry for your losses. It sounds terrible. Unfortunately I have no idea what could be wrong. In SA we are not allowed to keep shrimp. But my first thought was copper as invertibrates blood is copper based as compared to vertibrates that blood is iron based. Copper messes with their nervous system somehow I think.

In the end there can be only 1 (male Betta per tank)
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 10:21:31 PM »

MPFSR,

Really sorry to hear of your loss. There must be something bad in the water....

Good luck!

GB
Markalot

United States United States

Tanks: 150g Reef, 40g Reef, 29g Planted

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 09:00:50 AM »

What water treatment do you use?

IMO it must be copper in the source water.  If it was me I would run to the nearest store that carries a copper test and do a test on my tap water to see if copper is the culprit.  

The only other thing I can think of is the new water being too cold.

From Amazon:  http://www.amazon.com/API-FW-COPPER-TEST-KIT/dp/B0006JDWH8

M a r k
mpfsr

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »

Thx for the link Markalot. It had to be an isolated incident as this weeks water change went without a problem. There's was a few that made it but not many and I was very scared to change there water but I did slowly and they acted like normal very happy to swim in the current while the water rushed into there tank. As for water treatment I use stuff called De-clor  it's been around for years and never
Had an problem with it before. I buy it by the gallon.

It's not gonna be an issue as I'm breaking down the fish room and won't have shrimp or crayfish anymore. I know temp was good I have marks on my knobs for the sets of tanks based on tank needs. I loved keeping the shrimps but can't afford the lost of money and pets this cost me.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's