Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 24, 2014, 03:29:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loose glass brace across the middle of a 55gal  (Read 1463 times)
charliec

« on: February 19, 2012, 06:44:17 PM »

I haven't posted here for a few years but I remember the good ideas on this board when I got started in this hobby.  I am doing water changes today and noticed the brace across the top of my 55 gal has pulled loose from the back about a quarter inch.  It wasn't like that last week.  The tank was given to me about 8 years ago so I'm guessing it is 10 to 15 years old.  When these tanks are built, do they just stick the brace in with aquarium sealant or do they use something stronger like crazy glue?  Good ideas on how to fix this anyone?
Lizon

Tanks: 10 gallon: Betta, Harlequin Rasbora 20 Gallon, Black Phantom Tetra, Kuhli Loaches, Ghost shrimp, Panda corys, emerald corys

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 06:58:54 PM »

Seems like thats a common problem in 55 from what i googled. Some say you dont need one unless it really bows. One person fixed his by manufacturing a brace that went over the rim. One person did ise super glue. Personally i dont own a tank that size but manufactiring a over rim brace sounds more of a better fix, but thats my opinion.

The ability to love and be loved is the greatest gift.
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 10:33:58 PM »

On most 55s the brace is essential. As it lets go the tank will bow out a good 6".
Depending on where it broke you can usually fix it. I had one someone fixed with plywood and sheetrock screws that worked like that for years. I glued one and another I fixed with plexiglass and stainless steel screws. Post a pic,lets see what you have.

Waiting will fill
curve

I LOVE MY BULLDOG

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:52:28 PM »

A really good specialty LFS may have a 55 Gallon Frame in stock, or can order one.  The 2 major manufacturers do offer them as replacement parts.
Also, I would say that the seams of the tank would definately give way long before the glass was able to bow out 6 inches....
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 07:09:17 PM »

Nope,Ive seen it. Still fully sealed and glass bending out. Was amazed it didnt break.

Waiting will fill
charliec

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 11:09:08 PM »

After talking with my LFS I decided to clean the glass well with vinegar and rubbing alchohol and put it back in with silicone aquarium sealant.  It says 48 hours for a full cure so I'll post back with results. Meanwhile, the Angels, Silver Dollar and Bristle Nose are enjoying a vacation in the 100 gal with Clowns and Yoyo Loaches, Barbs and Gourmies.  When the tank was full it had pushed the glass out about a half inch but when I drained it all the glass straightened back.
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 11:03:58 AM »

When you use the silicone, make an extra bead of it on some random piece of junk you're going to throw away and place it next to the tank. When you think it's cured, cut this extra blob in half and have a look - then you'll know for sure if it is completely cured, or if it's still liquid goo in the middle. Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation