Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 26, 2014, 08:32:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ambulia pruning techniques!  (Read 5202 times)
gunnered72

110 Litre

« on: March 29, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »

How do i prune ambulia?

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:50:17 PM »

I usually just cut mine to the height that I want right above a leaf node. I am not sure if this is the proper way, but it has been working for me. Ambulia grows really fast for me, so I usually cut off half the stem. I generally try to not cut all the stems at once so it does not look so bare. But every once in a while, I will cut the whole lot of it which will let some light to the bottoms and make it grow out additional shoots and get bushier.

I am certainly no expert. My planting and pruning is really trial and error. But this method has been working for me so far.

~Lissa
gunnered72

110 Litre

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »

Do you find that it will grow new stalks (shoots) and hence new tops from the point were you cut it (At a leaf node like you said) ?

I dont want to have to cut it and loose the lovely top parts unless they grow back from the point where it has been cut

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »

Yep. I suppose you could pull the whole plant, cut it to the height that you want and replant the top. But I would think that would get old pretty fast. Especially as quickly as this stuff grows. I try to get as close to the leaf as I can when cutting. When I cut it higher, it still grows from the leaf node and the bit of stem that is left from the cutting will usually die. Sometimes you may get a bit of a joint where the new growth starts, but it usually works out pretty well. It should start to put out some stems from the bottom also and get nice and bushy.

I wouldn't worry too much about doing it wrong. This stuff is damned near impossible to kill. I started with about 20 stems and I've got the stuff in 5 tanks now. Two of them are practically forested with it. If you don't like how it turned out then you can always give a really good hacking and let it grow back in. I am noticing that one area of mine is getting so full at the top that the bottoms are getting pretty leggy. I think I might try cutting those lower next time to encourage some new growth at the bottoms.

It is a really pretty plant. Good luck with it!

~Lissa
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's