Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 26, 2019, 03:14:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiddler Crabs  (Read 2804 times)
shaner
« on: April 20, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »

Any one on here have any experience with fiddler crabs, I want to start a tank for them so i can use them to feed my Fahaka Puffer, I have a 20g Long that i have planned on using and a 10G that i want to use, I have to be able to QT them for at least 4 weeks so i can keep a supply ready for Achmed...I have read up on the tanks on various sites..any one have any???
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 05:23:21 PM »

Do they breed so readily in captivity to make that worth your while?

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 05:42:23 PM »

Fiddler Crabs seem like a lot of work for live food considering you need a land area and brackish water.....

I know a person who breeds dwarf crayfish for their puffer...

shaner
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 09:05:59 AM »

its not that they breed rapidly, i would order them thru live aquaria about a dozen at a shot and then QT them, I would have two tanks set up one for new arrivals and one for current food, I just need something like them for a live food option, he would only eat 1 or 2 a week as a supplement to his diet with snails, mussels and small clams... he is starting to qet picky about his food so i have to be one step ahead of him....if i lived near maryland i would run down to the Chesapeake and get some blue soft shells.....for him right. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
shaner
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 09:11:17 AM »

and i am already doing brackish / saltwater already for my GSP's so it is not really that much more work....just a treat for my fish...
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:18:22 AM »

Ahhhh i get it, Well if ordering fidler crabs is feesible and your willing to create a semi-aquatic brackish setup then they are certainly a nice snack for your puffer  proud.

When i was little i remeber my dad had fiddler crabs.... They will get into any nook and cranny so make sure they cant get out or get stuck in the filter..

Since you have two tanks you could also always breed dwarf crayfish for a constant live food source... (Depends on size of two tanks).

Either way you have a happy puffer on your hands  Smiley!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation