Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 23, 2019, 07:58:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Red cherry shrimp dying  (Read 18135 times)
Matt

« on: May 26, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »

I picked up 15 red cherry shrimp on Monday, May 21.  I acclimated them to my 10 gallon tank, and they all seemed fine, jetting around my tank for the next couple days.  I did a water change on Wednesday, and now I've found dead shrimp laying around.  This is a species shrimp tank.  There is tons of java moss, sŁŖwassertang, and java ferns, so they have plenty of hiding spots.  Here are my parameters:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~10-15
pH: 7.8
KH: 19 (it's always been this high... a contributing factor?)
GH: 5
temp: 70.

What the heck is going on in there?  I add flourish, flourish excel, flourish iron, and flourish trace for my plants as directed on the bottle.  I was told by my LFS (which is very good, I trust it) that the trace amounts of copper won't harm the RCS.  I tried feeding Hikari shrimp cuisine and algae wafers but they never ate them.  Should I just stick to fish?
rmiller

Tanks: 10G betta/Neon, 30G Oscar

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »

It may have been the copper, I'm not sure how much of would take to harm the shrimp. When you did your water change, did you remember the declorinator?

Matt

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 04:45:52 PM »

I always add 1 ml of Prime to the water I put in. The most plausible thing to me is concentration of harmful heavy metals, because I have well water. My other tank with celestial pearl danios is doing amazing, though.
Markalot

United States United States

Tanks: 150g Reef, 40g Reef, 29g Planted

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 08:14:28 PM »

I was told by my LFS (which is very good, I trust it) that the trace amounts of copper won't harm the RCS.

It will kill them, period.  It's bad advice because:

A. What is a trace?
B. Did they know how much might be left over?

If all other parameters are good but the shrimp are dying then it's most likely copper.  Try getting a Polyfilter (the name brand) and placing it in your filter box to remove trace amounts of copper and other bad things.  Not something you want to use all the time, but it might work to solve the problem.  it will turn a particular color if it removes copper.

M a r k
Matt

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 09:00:23 PM »

I add flourish, flourish excel, flourish iron, and flourish trace for my plants as directed on the bottle.  I was told by my LFS (which is very good, I trust it) that the trace amounts of copper won't harm the RCS. 

I'm sorry, that was poorly worded.  I was told that the amounts of copper in the fertilizer (about .0001%) won't harm the RCS. 
Markalot

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 09:53:27 PM »

Ah, sorry, yes ... ferts should not harm the shrimp. 

Does it appear they are having trouble molting?

M a r k
Matt

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2012, 08:25:09 PM »

I don't want to sound like I'm uneducated ad didn't research a species before I bought it, but what do shrimp that are having trouble molting look like?
Markalot

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »

Not an expert either, but generally they change color... not as transparent, then shed their skin.  If they cant complete the process then you might be able to tell.  Maybe.

Cherries do need clean water.  You say it's a species only tank... any idea how nitrate got so high?  In your water supply maybe?  You mentioned adding ferts but with nitrates above 10 you really shouldn't need to add anything, especially with the plants you listed.  I would do a 50 percent water change and hope it helps.

M a r k
Matt

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »

I'm beginning to think my water is the culprit here- after pulling out 8 dead cherries this weekend, I either have copper in my water supply or my water is too hard for them. All the dead ones seemed like they were trying to burst out of their shells, but the shell was constricting them. I looked this up, and symptoms matched pretty well with molting issues... I'll stick to fish from now on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation