Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 23, 2014, 05:18:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's wrong with my Bumblebee Cichlid  (Read 1598 times)
gwright74

« on: May 30, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »

Hello, I have a female bumblebee cichlid that has started staying at the top of the water in the corner of my tank.  I've checked all of my parameters and everything is at 0.  None of my other fish are acting funny and I can't see any kind of ick or fungus on her.  She isn't eating that I can tell and she goes to the bottom at night to sleep.  I'm was going to try to upload a picture for better clarification but I don't know how sorry.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Pat Mary

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »

There are a few things that we would need to know before we can answer your question.  Smiley

If your tank is cycled, everything cannot be at 0 for your water parameters.  A properly cycled tank should have readings of 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and some level of nitrate (10-20ppm maximum).  Recheck your readings and, when you do the nitrates, be sure to shake bottle #2 for at least 3 minutes.

Please give us your exact stocking (how many fish of each species is in there)  and how long has it been stocked?  Have you made any recent additions?  If so, did you quarantine the new fish?

Has this particular fish been in there a period of time?  If so, is this new behavior?  Or, is she a new addition?

When in doubt, do a water change.
gwright74

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »

Ok I redid my parameters and my Ammonia is 0, Nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 5.  It's a 120 gallon and it has 30 various cichlids ranging from 1.5 in to about 3 in and a 5 in pleco.  My tank is cycled and no new fish have been introduced.  They have all been in this tank for about a month (moved from a couple of 55 gallons).  She began this about 2 days ago.  She seems to be healthy just has this odd behavior suddenly.  Hope this helps.
Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 11:55:05 AM »

I am going out on a limb here because I don't know exactly what species of cichlids you have in there.  There is a possibility that she may be being picked on by other fish.  She may be driven to that corner.  Watch the tank and see if any bullying is occuring.

When in doubt, do a water change.
JT88

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 06:18:24 PM »

+1 to what Pat Mary said.   Bumblebee Cichlid is the trade name for Pseudotropheus Crabro which is a Malawi mbuna.  Whenever I have seen a mbuna act like this it has been because they are being harassed by another more dominant fish (often a male).
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »

+1
Fish,particularly mbuna in the upper corners of the tank are usually due to being past the point of being able to cope with thier tankmates.

Waiting will fill
JOKER

Tanks: 75g-Fahaka puffer; 55g-African cichlid/community tank; reef cichlids

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:08:19 PM »

+2 on that one. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman