Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 22, 2014, 09:16:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

Discount Aquarium Supplies at ThatFishPlace.com
News: mchambersn won "The get to know the Corydoras" contest. Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing Ventral fin  (Read 2264 times)
Stevan

« on: June 04, 2012, 04:44:20 AM »

yesterday I bought a pair of juvenile (1 1/2 ins) Golden Angelfish. Both fish seem to be in the best of health, but when I got them home I noticed one of them has a Ventral fin missing. This could be a natural deformity. The question is, if it has lost an original fin, will it grow back or should I return it to the pet store?

Thanks
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 community, 450 pacu community, 180 community, 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 05:29:09 AM »

I am a bit confused as there is no such thing as a "ventral fin".  There are 2 fins on the ventral surface of most fish, pelvic fins (typically located immediately below the pectoral fins) and anal fin that is generally located either just in front of, or just behind the anus. The anal fin can be singular or paired, but the pelvic fins are usually paired.  Since you said singular, I presume you mean the anal fin. 

Whether or not it will grow back depends on why it is missing.  If it is a genetic defect, it will not grow back.  If a tank mate chewed it off (or some other form of injury), depending on how proximal of the fish the injury occurred, it will grow back.  (How long to grow back depends on the quality of the water it's in right now.)  If its missing due to illness (fin rot, velvet etc...), its growing back depends on first curing the illness and the quality of the water.

A missing fin is just one more good reason to support the importance of QT.  Transporting a fish is VERY stressful for the fish.  If its already sick, bringing it back to the pet store will likely make it sicker due t the transport and they will just kill it.  You will get your $4 back and the fish dies.  Or you could keep the fish in QT until you can see what is wrong, keep the water super clean and make a plan from there.  Its up to you.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Stevan

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 07:27:24 AM »

Thanks Karen.  If you GOOGLE (images) Angelfish anatomy the fins I am referring to are clearly labelled (Ventral Fin)
AndrewH

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 08:06:36 AM »

Stevan, ventral or pectoral fins on Angels will grow back if it is not genetic and there is enuff tissue left. I've had them break off as they tend to drag them on the substrate while hunting around for food. Try to keep a clean tank or if you have a bare bottom quarantine tank you could put him/her in there till it grows back. Bare bottom will have less bacteria if kept clean. hope this helps
AndrewH

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 08:19:09 AM »

Some good reading Stevan....angelsplus.com/ArticleCare.htm
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 125 community, 450 pacu community, 180 community, 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 08:53:22 AM »

Thanks Karen.  If you GOOGLE (images) Angelfish anatomy the fins I am referring to are clearly labelled (Ventral Fin)

Sure enough!  That is interesting, there are enough examples of that to show some conformity within the community too.  I saw a few labeled as Pelvic and a few with both pelvic and ventral fins written, but most said ventral.  I wonder when the trend to change the name started.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 09:06:11 AM »

It's just semantics. People don't like the word "anal", so they're going with "ventral". My, the times they are a changin'. Wink

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2012, 09:12:14 AM »

No, Yesteb, the anal fin is still called the anal fin.  Its the pelvic fins that have been re-named!

AndrewH

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2012, 10:00:43 AM »

If you go to that link I posted you can see where he has it listed with both names. Just like everything else I guess, consistent change. 
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 12:45:13 PM »

I have used the terms 'ventral' and 'pelvic' interchangabley over the past 50+ years in the hobby,  but have recently seen ventral applied more often. From fish anatomy images I have viewed ventral/pelvic fins are always in front of a fish's anal vent opening. Anal fin(s) are always clearly behind the anal vent opening.

Regardless, I would refer back to the info the Karen originally posted and go from there.  happy

* BCA 02.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 454 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:23 PM »

I have used the terms 'ventral' and 'pelvic' interchangabley over the past 50+ years in the hobby,

Ya see that, RUss you were on the cutting edge of a trend...50 years ago!

You are a trend setter!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation