Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 26, 2019, 03:05:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Acquiring Kuhli Loaches  (Read 8019 times)
Noinish

« on: June 25, 2012, 03:34:16 PM »

I have only two black kuhli loaches right now, so of course I need more. Actually, I'd strongly prefer to get a few of the adorably striped ones everyone else seems to have. I'm having issues though. D:

For starters, the pH of my water is 8.4. @_@ I have no idea how to acclimate a non-local fish to that, especially kuhlis that like their water around 6.5ish.

Then comes the issue of actually getting the fish. I figure I've got 3 options:

1. Get them from the only pet store / lfs anywhere near me (northwestern NJ) that carries them or will order them for me.
Pros: Affordable.
Cons: The store has a horrible reputation for keeping really unhealthy creatures.

2. Get them from online. Maybe you guys know a good place?
Pros: Probably much more healthy than the pet store guys.
Cons: Shipping is expensive everywhere I've looked. $2/fish affordable, $30 shipping not so much.

3. Screw it, get more of the black ones.
Pros: Simplest option.
Cons: But, but... The striped ones are so CUTE. @_@
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 03:45:51 PM »

shhh!   lookaround  You could get another tank nerd   lol

When in doubt, do a water change.
Noinish

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:58:54 PM »

It's like that out of the tap. Fish don't seem bothered and I have no place for babies, so I haven't tried to change it. Figure other fish can probably adjust, but I'm not sure if that's like, "Yeah, drip acclimate." or "Go get other water. It's going to be a long 3 months." D:

Agh! Don't encourage my mts! I've been pretty good about fighting it so far... Lacking money and space helps. XD I should rehabilitate my dad's poor 55g...
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:09:31 PM »

You found black kuhlis?? Pangio oblonga.
When ever I go looking for them all I find are the striped ones lol.
Ironic ..you want the striped and the less common black ones are the kind most available to you. Wink

As far as which method you choose I think option number one is your best bet ..
 Ordering sight unseen online can be good but it can be a disaster as well ..
 At least when your local guy gets them in  he will have the responsibility off acclimating them etc.

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
gomezaddams
Mysterious and spooky

Sharing water brings us closer

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »

North jersey? You should have more choices than that. Alot of really good vendors in that area. You could always go to a njas meeting and ask around.Some real nice folks in that group.

Waiting will fill
Noinish

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 08:45:09 PM »

Re-read my records and realized my tank is actually at 8.2 That's a tiny bit better. @_@

I guess I'm bad at finding the right places. @_@ Google has not enlightened me any. Asking NJAS is a good idea! At the very least, I can look into the lfs they have listed.

I've got Pangio oblonga. I'll get a few more, regardless of whether or not I get striped ones, since it seems like they're different species after all. It really feels like everyone here's got the striped ones in all their tanks! It bewilders me. All the chain pet stores in this area stock Pangio oblonga, so they're super easy to get.

I should've made it more clear about the store that has them. I'll still have to deal with the pH issue. They're actually about 45 minutes away and keep their pH around 7. @_@
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:51:29 PM by Noinish » Logged
LAKE

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 08:24:36 PM »

Driftwood can bring down the pH to a consistent level.
More effective in small tanks is to soak and rinse sphagnum peat. Holds pH pretty steady at 6.5. Put a little bit in a nylon to hide in the tank and another for the water you prepare for water changes. Wrap the nylon as many times as possible, consider wrapping with two. Yellows the water a little, encourages breeding and plant growth.
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 09:12:50 PM »

i keep my kuhlis in water with a pH of 8.2. i dont do any thing to try to adjust it. they have been good in my tanks for over a year without a problem.

i have ordered fish from liveaquaria before and had pretty good luck. plus if you done want to pay shipping you only need to order $225 worth of kuhli loaches  rofl

Happy Trails,
Nick
Noinish

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 06:20:11 PM »

Driftwood can bring down the pH to a consistent level.
More effective in small tanks is to soak and rinse sphagnum peat. Holds pH pretty steady at 6.5. Put a little bit in a nylon to hide in the tank and another for the water you prepare for water changes. Wrap the nylon as many times as possible, consider wrapping with two. Yellows the water a little, encourages breeding and plant growth.

I did just get a chunk of driftwood! HAven't gotten around to really cleaning it yet, but it ought to help. We'll see about the peat.

i keep my kuhlis in water with a pH of 8.2. i dont do any thing to try to adjust it. they have been good in my tanks for over a year without a problem.
i have ordered fish from liveaquaria before and had pretty good luck. plus if you done want to pay shipping you only need to order $225 worth of kuhli loaches  rofl

Live aquaria seems to only have the black ones. D: My current guys seem quite happy, doing their little dance around my tank. I'm mostly worried about helping possible new ones to adjust.

Still need to call around, but I keep forgetting. OTL I'll eventually remember.
Happy 4th of July, fellow Americans. :D
LAKE

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »

The more suitable hiding places Khuli's have, the more secure they feel that they can dart if they choose and actually spend less time hiding. Any little nook; let them get under the driftwood. Sometimes little ones hide a lot until they fatten up, then explode into weeks of freenzy. Hiding for a while is not unusual, just let them get comfortable.
Matt

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »

You could get Kuhli loaches off of Aquabid- I frequently buy stuff off there with no trouble.

Don't be worrying about your pH right now- if it's the normal pH of your tank, your fish will adjust! This is why we acclimate very slowly to prevent osmotic shock. That being said, adding driftwood wouldn't hurt, and your Kuhlis would appreciate the hiding spot.
Noinish

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 06:41:36 PM »

I visited the shady pet store yesterday because my friends wanted to go, and ended up asking them to order some of the kuhlis. @_@ I will be picking them up next week. Going to try drip acclimation and liberal amounts of stress coat stuff. Hopefully all goes well! Gotta set up the quarantine tank... @_@
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 09:23:48 PM »

good luck with them!!!

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Noinish

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 10:55:02 PM »

Aw, thank you! :D I'll let you guys know how it goes. SHould have them by Wednesday.
submariner24

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 05:30:32 PM »

i house black and striped kuhlis and all get along with higher ph levels fine. Driftwood could help. Just make sure they have a few sinking wafers twice a week just incase. Take a day free of the weekend and search for lfs and take the trip. I'm in long island and i travel to NJ, all over the island and the city. When you want something bad enough, get it! :o) Good luck!
Noinish

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 01:57:00 PM »

I still don't have any, unfortunately. Shady pet store didn't deliver on their promise and I have no more money. Sad day. I'm thinking I'll just get more of the black ones when I can. As delightfully adorable as the striped guys are, it's better to just expand the group I have. One day! >_<
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation