Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 26, 2019, 05:10:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whisker shrimp  (Read 10061 times)
waffleinator

« on: October 06, 2012, 09:41:42 PM »

I have an aggressive whisker shrimp. Lately I have been noticing that my guppies have been dying. The bodies will always be munched on with eyes and fins/tails missing. I thought that my other fish were just eating the guppies when they were already dead so I didn't really think twice about it. A few days ago I saw my shrimp catch one of my guppies and finally realized that the shrimp was the culprit. I was wondering if anyone else has heard of a whisker shrimp doing this and catching a healthy guppy and eating it. It is fed bloodworms all the time so I don't think I'm not feeding it enough. Also my LFS said they have never heard of suck a thing.
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »

The biological purpose of shrimp is to clean their environment. Shrimp, by their very nature, are the vultures of underwater world. If they find dead fish, shrimp eat them. It's just the shrimpy way, with the exception of filter feeding shrimp that can't munch on something that large. They will eat whenever they find food regardless of how much you feed them. Fish and aquatic creatures tend to eat on instinct when they find food, no matter how much they've already eaten. It's a survival skill. You may want to google whisker shrimp and see if the pictures are really what you have in your tank, as most small shrimp aren't predatory in nature. You may also want to redefine your definition of healthy fish, because the fish may have already been on it's way out of this world.

DJ-2012

Tanks: 10g SE asian biotope, 30g amazon biotope

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 03:14:48 PM »

I'm wondering if you have a crayfish and not a shrimp.  The main reason I'm saying this is you say it caught the guppy.  I have no idea how a shrimp can catch anything at all, it doesn't have claws or anything else that could really grab into a fish.

Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 03:18:08 PM »

The shrimp that are "long armed" can and will catch fish.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's