Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 26, 2019, 03:12:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ADF's HOW do I get them to eat???  (Read 7781 times)
boredbody

Tanks: 1 10 gallon betta tank

« on: July 16, 2012, 08:58:23 PM »

I just bought 2 african dwarf frogs, one I think ate, it's got a round pot belly, but the other is skinny as a rail and turning away from food wiggled in it's face.
I'm just doing what I used to do with my anoles, wiggling bloodworms with tongs(obviously it's a lot wetter and blood worms instead of meal worms but still) neither frog will take food from me. Help!
KiloG

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:36:51 PM »

thats how i fed mine. If you just got them, they may just need a little time to settle in. They should be eating within a day or two.

20g soon to be shell dweller tank
10g planted betta tank with 3 ottos and some ghost shrimp
65g 4 regular 4 green and 5 albino tiger  barbs, 3 pitcus cat, 1common pleco, 6 kuhli loaches, and a Firemouth
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 02:43:47 AM »

African Dwarf Frog profile - ADF

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile99.html 

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
boredbody

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 10:20:29 AM »

one frog, the larger of the two obviously found food it's bloated this morning, but the smaller is still skinny and kinda skittish... any tips or tricks to getting a reluctant frog to eat?

Also, how to get a betta NOT to eat, last night I was forced to remove my betta from his tank for 2 reasons, one he was picking on the frogs trying to eat their feet, and two he ate so much it looked like he swallowed a marble and I was sure he would die inthe night from overeating(he didn't and he's looking slimmer, won't repeat that mistake tho)
boredbody

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:34:06 PM »

The larger healthier of the two frogs is dead. What do I do?
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:51:47 PM »

I am so sorry that your frog died.  Sad

ADF's are susceptible to dropsy from what I have read.  I think that is what your dead one had.

Many times the ones that you get from a chain store are not the healthiest to begin with.  I would look for another shop that has had luck with them or look at http://www.aquabid.com/ to see if you could get some from a breeder.

When in doubt, do a water change.
boredbody

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 02:19:08 PM »

Will my other frog get dropsy and die too?
boredbody

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 02:23:21 PM »

I checked all my water parameters this morning my ph was 7.6, ammonia .25, nitrite 0, nitrate 0
steffelem

Tanks: 55 gal w/neons & pepper corries, 33 gal w/ rasboras & danios, 20 gal w/ dwarf puffer, 135 gal not yet filled.

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 04:46:00 PM »

Oh, I'm sorry to hear about your frog. So sad.  Change the water every day to keep it super clean.  If you've already moved the Betta, the remaining frog should be less stressed and may start to eat.  Keep up a daily change of water for at least a week, it will give the second frog the best fighting chance. Good luck.
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 04:46:36 PM »

Your tank is not cycled. Frogs do not do well in uncycled tanks.

boredbody

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »

my water has .25 ammonia in it, and I was actually wondering, could it be because I have a two rapidly growing sword plants, two apongeton plants, and now anacharis in 1 ten gallon tank, that I'm not seeing a real spike in nitrates? The water does change color when I test in the nitrates test tube, just not quite all the way to orange.
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 09:54:50 PM »

boredbody,

I suspect your cycle is still in progress. Nitrates willl build up slowly. Sorry about your ADF; until the cycle is complete, your tank id probably not good for livestock. You may want to return the other to the store unitl your tank completes its cycle.

Good luck!

GB
boredbody

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 12:44:58 PM »

My tank has been running the better part of a month, since people say 6 weeks is tops for fish tanks to cycle... I'm betting it's at least well on it's way. I will still do daily water checks and changes. Since it's the better part of 100 miles to the pet store I bought my frogs from returning him isn't an option, but this morning he did come out and eat. The little bugger is hiding in some very clever spot because I can't find him, but I know he's still in there...
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 12:06:05 AM »

ADFs can't survive in a tank that is not fully cycled. They absorb everything through their skin and they can't survive anything other than pristine water conditions.

Do you have access to filter media that is in a mature tank?

Perform water changes daily.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
waffleinator

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 09:34:16 PM »

I have 1 african dwarf frog in a less than pristine tank and it is fine, eating, and relatively happy. It has survived through ick and fin rot treatments and still acts completely normal. Also african dwarf frogs stay kinda skinny and don't get very fat. I hand feed mine by putting frozen bloodworms in front of it so the fish don't steal his food.
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2012, 03:58:39 AM »

I have 1 African dwarf frog in a less than pristine tank and it is fine, eating, and relatively happy. It has survived through ick and fin rot treatments and still acts completely normal. Also African dwarf frogs stay kinda skinny and don't get very fat. I hand feed mine by putting frozen bloodworms in front of it so the fish don't steal his food.

I believe you must have chuck Norris in a ADF suit.... Like previously mentioned they need good water conditions. Then again everything should be kept in good water conditions  Smiley!

I went on holidays and someone overfed my fish.... my shrimp and ADF's all died as they were the most sensitive... all fish survived it.

Try always feeding them in the same spot, Over time they will know to go there for food. handfeeding with a tweezers also works.

CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2012, 10:40:16 AM »

Also african dwarf frogs stay kinda skinny and don't get very fat.

I have to disagree here. A healthy ADF should have a slightly rounded belly. It should not look bloated or fat, but should not look skinny either.

~Lissa
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's