Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 24, 2019, 08:26:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new rescued ADF, questions  (Read 2427 times)
Sally

« on: July 28, 2012, 09:38:32 AM »

Hi All,

I am usually in the beginner section with a 29 gallon freshwater tank. That is fine.

Yesterday I rescued an ADF from my granddaughter's house. I had been in one of those small plastic cubes for about 2 years. They originally had 2 cubes with 2 in each one. The others have all died. So yesterday I put this one in a 1 1/2 gallon plastic aquarium with a couple of gentle decorations. I have read about them on line, including the link here. I used spring water. No filter, or anything. So far he seems to be doing well, was very active last night.

Questions:
He is pretty slim, as they used the directions that came with him and fed him a couple of dots of food that came with him, twice a week. I figure he needs more to eat, I have freeze dried bloodworms. Can I give it that and if so, how much should I feed it, I am worried about overfeeding it. One place said feed them every other day. The pictures of them I have seen show much more plump frogs than this one. The guy at a fish store I visited said I could get some live somethings, it would like that?

I am going to stop here for now.

Thanks
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 02:11:15 PM »

I am far from an expert. But for what it's worth, I feed my ADFs every day. I feed either HBH Frog and Tadpole Bites, frozen bloodworms and, sometimes Repashy Shrimp Souffle (though not often because they don't seem to care for it too much).

I have 6 ADFs and two mystery snails, When I feed frozen bloodworms, I give them one small cube. I always watch to remove any uneaten bits, but there never are any. The frogs chow down and the snails get whatever is left. It is always all gone in an hour or so.

With only one frog, I would probably just slice a piece off of the cube for him. Keep an eye on him and anything he doesn't eat after a while you can suck out with a turkey baster to keep it from soiling the water.

~Lissa
Sally

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 03:04:19 PM »

Thanks for advice on feeding. I think I am catching on. Am going to start another thread.
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »

Sally, they need a filter and what not. The same cycling process will occur with the ADF's that does for fish. What you've done is a definite upgrade for the froggo- don't get me wrong- but if you could find maybe a 5 gal tank with a thermostat heater and a filter, it would be in froggo heaven! Smiley

CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 04:08:18 PM »

Oh yeah...

+1 Yesteb!

For some reason I think I was under the impression that the frog's situation was a temporary one. A small filter is definitely in order..even if you are going to try to keep him the 1.5 gallons.

~Lissa
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's