Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 20, 2019, 08:37:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ADFs acting strange  (Read 1938 times)
Carlo

« on: July 26, 2012, 05:26:27 PM »

I'm worried about my ADFs.  I have five in a 10-gallon tank, which also has a betta and two otos.  I just found one on the floor, at least 10 feet away from the tank, and completely covered with dust, and a cat eyeing him curiously.  I was quite sure he was dead, but when I put him in the tank, he immediately recovered.  He now SEEMS fine, but he's probably not.  In fact, when I was holding him near the top to examine him, he jumped out again, and I had to get him off the floor and put him back in again.  I immediately did a water change.

They have all been hanging near the top for more than a week, and I get the feeling that something about the water is really bothering them.  I've tested it; I'm no novice.  The pH is about 7.2; ammonia 0; nitrite 0; nitrate<10.  I change half the water once a week.  For the life of me, I can't figure out what the problem is.  Is there any other water measurement that can really bother ADFs that I might be missing?  Or something else to check?

BTW the betta and otos seem completely fine.  I always figure that if otos are fine with water conditions, the water is ok.
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:30:43 AM »

Did you recently change dechlorinator brands? ADF's are also sensitive to heavy metals, like copper. Any anti snail or algae additive could have this effect, or changes to your water supply. I had this issue when I changed from a dechlorinator that "detoxified heavy metals" to one that did not. There are people/professional chemists who have told me that dechlorinators cannot "detoxify heavy metals" and this could not have been the problem- but switching back to a product that "detoxifies heavy metals" resolved this for me.

Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:14:38 AM »

Temperature & your water supply having more chlorine in it than usual. It doesn't take a lot to make them act differently. Check them both just in case there is a problem with your thermometer/heater or water supply company.

Your thread is actually old now. How are they doing?

HTH - Good Luck

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation