Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 20, 2019, 10:49:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a big follow-up question  (Read 4443 times)
Sally

« on: August 03, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »

Ok, thanks to all who have helped me in these 2 threads. SO, if I need a filter, etc. for this frog. Then here is the question:
Right next to the frog I have the 29 gallon tank, all equiped, cycled for 3 years. Can I put it in there??
My concerns are 1. it is a 29 gallon tall. Is this too deep for it?
2. Tank mates would be schools of cardinal tetras, rummy nose tetras, honey gouramis and one bulldog pleco. Would the frog be ok with thes fish?

So can the frog to into the 29 gallon tank?

Thank you to all for the help.
Sally
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »

Your 29 would not work for the frog.  They need to breathe air and your tank is 18 inches deep.  They need a tank of about 12 inches.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Sally

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 12:10:58 PM »

Ok, thanks, Pat Mary.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2012, 12:39:40 PM »

Forgive me for having not read the other two threads.... what species of frog is this?

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »

I don't think I would put him in a 29 tall. I've not ever kept them in anything deeper than 12" personally.

Karen, it is an african dwarf frog that Sally rescued from unsuitable conditions.

~Lissa
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »

Pardon me for playing devil's advocate here.  Let me start by saying I have never kept these frogs and really don't know a whole lot about them.... but:

They are native to ponds streams and flooded forest areas around the Congo river.  You are going to have to try mighty hard to convince me that 12" vs 18" make any difference at all to a pond frog.  Shallow water in a pond is usually 3 feet deep.

Very high or deep tanks over 20 inches in height are not recommended. These amphibians are not great swimmers, so water currents should be kept low. Very deep tanks may pose a challenge to their ability to breathe. In the wild, the Congo forest floods yearly to a depth of 24 or more inches. So anything less than that will be suitable.
That's from Wikipedia.  Not exactly the best source of information, but its a good start.
Long and low is ideal.  Water should be no deeper than 18 inches.  Your tank must have a secure cover because DAFs will jump out of an uncovered tank and die.  It is NOT true that DAFs will drown in deep water, but water deeper than 18 inches or so will make a DAF's life a little more difficult (remember, they have to surface for air).  If you have a deep tank, provide resting places between the water's surface and the bottom of the tank.
http://www.freewebs.com/aquafrog/frogbasics.htm

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 08:58:49 PM »

Good to know! Thanks, Karen. Most of the info that I have seen recommended less than 18 or 16 inches. I must say that led me to assume that 18" would be the tall end of what would work for them and so I always kept them in less. Sounds like they would probably do fine in that height though. With this new info, I would be inclined to try it.

Now, the issue of tankmates arises. I think it is probably worth a shot to try keeping the frog in your 29 gallon. But you will have to be careful to make certain he gets to eat. The problem with keeping ADFs together with fish is that they are foragers...and not particularly good ones. If you don't get the food to the frog, odds are your fish will eat it up before he can find it...especially that pleco. I've not kept a bulldog pleco, so I don't know much about them.

I used to keep frogs with guppies and now I have them with endlers and mystery snails. I make sure that I feed the endlers first on one end of my tank and then I put in the frog's food. I always feed them in the same spot and they learned pretty quickly where to go. Even though the occasional endler picks at the frog's food, they usually all make it over to "the spot" and chow down. (The snails usually get whatever is left!)

My frogs were alone in the tank for a couple of weeks before anything went in with them, which I am certain helped them get used to where their feeding spot is. You won't have that option, but it can still work.

You will need to be diligent though, especially at first, and watch out for that pleco in particular since he will share the bottom with the frogs.

If you can make sure he gets fed, then it should be fine.

~Lissa
Sally

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »

Hey Guys,

Ok!  Thanks to all for the discussions and advice. So I think I will try the frog in my tank. It's an adventure/experiment and I hope it works. I will be diligent and watch everything... if it seems to struggle with being in such a deep tank, and if I can get it to eat enough. I measured, it is about 14 inches from the gravel to the top of the water. So here goes... I will post a report on how things go. Keep fingers crossed.

Sally
Sally

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 11:51:43 AM »

Update, one hour. So far so good. The poor thing at first just swirled around a few seconds then went to the top and splayed there for a while. But then he started to explore, he seems to get to the top ok. There are plants he can get in on his way if he is smart enough? It is fun having him in there, I hope it works out. I kept eyes on him the first half hour. For a few minutes I knew exactly where he was because all the fish gathered around him, the new thing.

Sally
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's