Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 19, 2019, 06:49:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ADFs - What has been your experience?  (Read 4013 times)
Afri

Tanks: Currently fishless, but with lots of plans!

Hopelessly addicted

« on: August 07, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »

I've had ADFs in the past and had difficulty getting them to eat, which based on the posts I see is not an uncommon problem.  I have read up on ADFs at this site and others, but I want to know from the real experts, i.e. those with experience with ADFs, whether good or bad.  I'm assuming the posts may be biased towards those having difficulties, so I would like to hear about the ADF experience from folks that had good or bad experience with them.  Thanks all you froggy fanciers! happy

something new, tiny dots, baby fish growing
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 10:51:02 AM »

I kept ADF's in a community tank...  didn't like it!! They spend about 3 mins looking for food so really the only way to get them to eat if they are in with other fish is to plonk the food in front of their nose... you only need to feed them 3 times a week or so..

I kept ADF's in a tank with guppy fry and it was perfect.. never had to worry about them getting food.

Perfect setup would be species tank or if you keep them with fish that wont eat their food before they do.... small schooling fish work well...

CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 04:44:15 PM »

Years ago, I kept ADFs by themselves and with guppies. Back then, I had few issues. The guppies didn't really go for the frog bites that I fed the ADFs...at least, not that I recall. In fact, I don't remember actually having any issues back then which is why I was surprised about a year or so ago when I tried keeping ADFs again and had lots of problems getting them to eat. I got the stock from a couple of different local shops, but all were scrawny. They were in a tank by themselves and were not good eaters. None lasted very long.

My newest attempt at ADFs started a short while back..about a month or so. I got six that I ordered online from someone whom I trust (I have ordered other fish and inverts from her in the past). These guys came in and right away were obviously in better shape than the ones I had in the past. I found out what the seller had been feeding them and incorporated that into their diet. They spent their first few weeks by themselves in their tank. I feed them in the same spot every day. They have tankmates now - 2 mystery snails and 10 endlers. Everything is going well. I feed the endlers first at one end of the tank and feed the frogs in their usual spot while the endlers are eating.

I did have one frog that refused to eat and I moved him to my hospital tank, but he never regained his appetite and I lost him.

I am no expert, by any means, but I think that there are a few things that are making this time around with the frogs go more smoothly.

1. Starting out with healthy frogs.
2. Feeding them foods to which they are already accustomed.
3. Establishing a feeding pattern before introducing tankmates.

~Lissa
Afri

Tanks: Currently fishless, but with lots of plans!

Hopelessly addicted

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 07:31:25 AM »

Crazy cat (is there any other type of cat?):  What size tank did you have for your  half-dozen ADFs?  I am looking for some for an ADFs  for an ADF only 10 gallon.  Assuming other ideas for the tank don't win out...
Thanks to both of you for your help! happy

something new, tiny dots, baby fish growing
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 09:25:12 AM »

The ones that I have now (5 frogs) are in a 20 gallon long, but I have snails and fish with them.

In an ADF only 10 gallon, I would think that 4-5 frogs would be a good number.

~Lissa
Sally

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 10:20:02 AM »

Hi,

I am just getting started with ADF's but agree with the hints Crazy listed for success. My rescue frog is still doing fine I think. I feed him the frozen bloodworms with a dropper and it will eat some. I have to waste some of it that it doesn't take at first. A gal at the fish store showed me how to feed them this way and the ones there are really better eaters, go right up to and after the syringe/dropper and the food. For mine this is a new way of eating, hopefully it will catch on and do better. I do think I am going to get one more frog. They are fun.
Sally
waffleinator

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 09:47:15 PM »

I have one ADF in a ten gallon community tank and he does just fine I hand feed him frozen bloodworms three times a week. He is really funny because he is always trying to eat my fingers and anything that moves. My fish have learned to ignore him.  fish16
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation