Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 13, 2017, 08:14:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marines! Anybody familiar with the maintenance routine?  (Read 6251 times)
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« on: December 17, 2012, 06:32:53 AM »

Has anybody kept Marines? Im wondering what the maintenance routine is compared to a Freshwater tank..Particularly as regards water changes and algae prevention..
In general what are the common problems when keeping Marines?

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 10:05:53 AM »

The comments I so want to leave here would not be helpful in the least.... just remember it's important to keep your Marines separated from your Army and Air Force. They're used to working with Navy and Coast Guard, but they won't like it.... Wink

Claire
Always learning

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 11:15:19 AM »

Well when dad was in the marines they use to get 1 min 30 seconds to get out of their dirty clothes, shower and into clean clothes.
The secret is to get into the shower fully dressed and strip in there.
Hee hee! rofl

25L Female betta
Shuggy

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »

LOL you beat me to the "jarhead" jokes Smiley

At Gitmo they told us of the "marines bar" and not to go there, so of course thats were we headed for straight away Wink 

They came over like "what you doing in our bar?" till they heard the accent lol

Then left us alone, coz we obviously didn't know it was theirs Wink  hehehehe

If I die, I hope my GF doesn't sell my fishing tackle for what I said it cost!!
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 06:45:52 PM »

*cough*

Keeping marine 'fishes' takes more discipline and ultimately more expensive. Not everyone's cup of tea, but well worth it for marine hobbyists and enthusiasts. There are three main categories of marine tank set ups (with some variables). These are reef tanks, fish only and temperate. Each category has different maintenance requirements and support equipment.

* BCA02.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 315 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Pat Mary

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 07:17:57 PM »

Awww, Russ, you ruined it.  You actually wanted to answer the real question.   lol

When in doubt, do a water change.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 08:32:26 PM »

It all depends on what the biomass in the tank is and what the needs are of the life forms you choose.  There is no one correct answer.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 01:14:18 AM »

Gunnered,

I recently (about 18 months ago) started on salt-water fish, in addition to my fresh-water tanks. So I'm still fairly new. But I can confirm what I was told early on; it's similar to fresh water -- there's just more things to watch out for. Some things are:

You need pure salt water -- can't just add a dechlorinator to tap water. This is inconvenient and costs a bit more.
You need to monitor more items - salinity, nitrates, calcium, etc.  than with fresh water.
It's a more delicate environment -- so go SLOW when stocking.
Also, stocking levels are way lower -- in my 34G I have 3 fish currently and may add 1-2 more. Max.

That said -- it's way fun. Let me know if you decide to go ahead -- we can share experiences.

GBose

gunnered72

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 03:02:26 AM »

GB whats the weekly water change schedule on ur tank?

annie p

Tanks: 75g community, 54g SW African cichlid tank, green terror tank 2 blue lobsters, 54g reef,75g SW

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 09:02:26 AM »

It would help to have some idea of what you have or are planning to have. I have a 120 gallon reef tank with a 55 gallon sump. That adds roughly another 25-30 gallons to the display tank. I change water roughly every 2 weeks, anywhere from 5-10%, but my tank is very lightly stocked. I would love to help you with your SW adventure, maybe I can prevent you from making some mistakes I made! Smiley

fish happens
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 01:03:27 PM »

I just bought a salt water tank but am not putting it in for another month or two. (I have to move stuff around to make room for it!)

People keep telling me that salt is easier to manage than fresh. I suppose part of that depends on the type of tank. Mine will be a FOWLR semi-aggressive tank 'cause I want a snowflake eel and I am just not ready to go full-on reef. I am still researching.

What are your plans, Gunnered?

~Lissa
gunnered72

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 03:22:10 PM »

I dont even know if im gonna go down the saltwater road yet Crazy Cat...I just really wanna know from somebody with experience if its gonna be more hassle than its worth maintenance wise...Plus it all depends how much the maintenance costs are gonna be...I know its gonna be expensive to set up (all fish tanks are) but if its gonna be expensive to maintain im gonna stick with my freshwater tanks....Im thinkin maybe a fish only tank to start with and work from there maybe.....I honestly am just thinkin about it at the moment and tryin to research as much as i can before i even think about diving in...

CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:39:08 PM »

I see. I was on the fence about it myself for about 6-8 months. Then an opportunity to get an almost complete system at a very good price presented itself and I just couldn't pass it up. I was initially wowed by the beauty of many gorgeous reef tanks, but I decided that it will be easier for me to manage starting out with a FOWLER...maybe add a few mushrooms or zoas...and run with that for a good year before trying to go full on reef.

If you decide to dive in, keep us posted! Smiley

~Lissa
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 09:11:59 PM »

Gunnered:

Sorry to take so long to reply -- I've been traveling, so not so good with my updates.

1) Salt Water is totally fascinating. I find the fish less interesting than the corals and -- recently -- anemones. Fish are all pretty much the same, and SW are much like FW (though much more colorful). Ah, but the corals, starfish, sponges, anemones.....
2) My water change schedule is about 5G per week (I have a 34G tank).
3) It can be as expensive -- or inexpensive-- as you decide. A basic FOWLR (Fish only with live rock) costs a bit to set up, but then not a whole lot to keep running. But -- as you know -- the hobby is tempting. and there's always one more bit of hardware or livestock to get.....

Try it though, if you have the time.

GBose
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation