Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 17, 2017, 10:43:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: goldfish rescue  (Read 7129 times)
boredbody

Tanks: 1 10 gallon betta tank

« on: December 31, 2012, 02:38:31 PM »

Hi, I have 5 goldfish, the largest one is about 8 inches long. My goldfish were rescues, origionally they were in a 10 gallon tank at that size, then someone I knew 'rescued' them along with a 10 inch pleco and put them in a 20 gallon tank, then I took them and put them in a  55 gallon tank. they are outgrowing my tank I tried to rehome them through craigslist and facebook but the only serious offer I got wanted to put them in a 30 gallon tank with about 2 dozen smaller goldfish. I didn't know the situation for goldfish was so dire because now I'm having friends come out of the wooodwork with goldfish that have outgrown their tanks thinking they can put their fish in with mine in my 55 and they'll be fine. I on the other hand never wanted goldfish and I want my 55 gallon tank for another project plus that pleco seriously needs separating from the goldfish and put in a heated tank I know!

I am seriously considering putting a large stock tank in the basement and opening a goldfish rescue but I have questions.

1. should the stock tank have a heater? Should the stock tank have a heater even, the basement stays a constant 60ish degrees is that too cold?
2. is the galvanised type of stock tank fine or do I have to coat the inside of it with something, what if so?(I live in a rural area I can get stock tanks cheap)
3. what sort of filter would I be looking at, is there something I could make for cheap myself? I've seen filters made out of rubbermaid storage containers ect.
4. would a 4' florescent light work for lighting? I could just hang it from the ceiling, do fish get nutritional deficencies from lack of natural light?
RAHT

Tanks: 46 gallon: 1 angel fish, 10 harlequin rasporas, 4 bronze corydora, 6 lemon tetras, 8 gold barbs, 1 bristlenose pleco, cherry red shrimp and algae earing shrimp, 2 mystery snails. 180 gallon stock tank: 9 comet/common goldfish

« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2013, 12:16:30 AM »

I had the same sort of problem.  I had 4 feeder fish goldfish that I took responsibility for.  They were in my 46 gallon and then my 75 gallon tank.  I ended up getting 180 gallon stock tank for them that is in my basement.
  I have 2 400 watt heaters for mine because the water temp without it would be 14C and a better temp for them is around 19 or 20C.  I've read that the optimum temperature for goldfish is between 20 C (68 F) and 22 C (72 F) so I like to keep it that way.
  I use a pond filter by Laguna that I really like and I do 50% water changes a week.  I have 7 comet goldfish in there now and my nitrates are always very low.
  I use the lights from my 75 gallon over the stock tank for a few submerged plants that I have and a garden grow light hanging over one side for the floating plants.   

Good luck!
RAHT
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2013, 03:49:36 PM »

One thing about your choice of stock tanks .
 using one is a good economical choice .
 however do not use any galvanized metal ones .. you will get leaching if unwanted and toxic metals .
I know there are stock that are acrylic or fiberglass . they would be perfect .

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 06:33:24 PM »

You want plastic not galvanized...

http://tsc.tractorsupply.com/nav/cat4/livestock_livestockequipment_stocktanksaccessories_stocktanks/0?reqUrl=http%3A%2F%2Ftsc.tractorsupply.com%2Fnav%2Fcat4%2Flivestock_livestockequipment_stocktanksaccessories_stocktanks%2F0&storeId=10551&zoneMarketInfo=2-16&storeZip=06351&storeCity=city%2C+state&catalogId=10001&langId=-1

No need for a heater, they are fine in cold water.  They won't eat much when the temps are below 45 or 50, so don't feed them much.  When the temps come up for summer, they start eating again.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Shari
Ringmaster of this Three Ringed Monkey Show!!!
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:30:04 PM »

Like Karen said, no heater needed. My tank is in the backyard and running at around 50 and they still swim out to greet me Smiley I think they are just spoiled and EXPECT food, but I cut them back quite a bit during winter. From daily to twice week normally.

Fish Pimp  kewl

===========================

"The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse to the trap that get's the cheese"

And I honestly prefer Cheese Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's