Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 22, 2019, 05:01:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gertrude's Rainbows and... Killifish, maybe?  (Read 4852 times)
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« on: February 01, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »

My little rainbows have been in their 10 gallon tank for almost a year now. I have managed to raise a single female from their spawns which leaves me with 7 of them. I am taking down their tank and moving them to a 29 gallon. So, now I have a couple of options as to what to do with them. I can get a couple of more young rainbows and keep trying to breed them or find some suitable tank mates. The only other fish that will be in the tank is a single stiphondon goby.

I have heard of folks keeping small killifish with these bows. I was considering maybe one of the following species: Aphyosemion striatum (Red-striped Killifish), Aphyosemion australe (Lyretail Killi), Epiplatys annulatus (Clown Killifish) or Nothobranchius rachovii (Bluefin Nothobranch). I am rather leaning towards the red-striped killi as I have read that they are easier to breed and more long-lived than the others.

I've not kept any killifish before, so that would be something new. Smiley Any thoughts or other suggestions?

~Lissa
Josh40

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »

I have a soft spot for Lampeyes. They don't have the colour you're probably after but they light up like the night sky under the right lighting. They're very tiny and often layed eggs if there was a mop in the tank. I never got round to properly trying to rear them though.
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 03:21:40 PM »

Rachoviis are stunning fish! They have the colours of a marine fish! One of the most impressive freshwater fish ive ever kept colourwise!

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
CrazyCatPeekin

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 05:43:34 PM »

Thanks, Josh. I am not a huge fan of Lampeyes...I will agree that their little eyes can look amazing though.

Gunnered, How's the temper of the rachoviis? Did you keep them with any other fish or on their own?

~Lissa
gunnered72

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 09:50:54 PM »

Actually had them in a 30 gallon with guppies and they did fine together....Maybe i was just lucky...

CrazyCatPeekin

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »

I don't know if you were "just lucky." From what I have read they can be a bit shy so the guppies probably made good dithers for them. It's why I am considering keeping them with the rainbows.

What was your male/female ratio? I hear that males can fight. Did you have any aggression problems?

They really are quite lovely, but I think that lyretail or red-striped would both be easier to spawn. It'll be a couple of weeks to a month before the tank is ready for them, so I am just gathering info at this point.

The clowns look great, too, but I think I am going to try those in my aquaponics set-up so I will likely not stock them with the bows.

~Lissa
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2013, 12:49:46 PM »

Love those rainbows. I think they are the most colorful of all the rainbows. Killis are found all over the world except Australia (which your little are from). If placing killis together, I would not chance obtaining any that would have similar coloration. I know this may leave out bunches of very colorful killis though. If I were to choose killi to house with your rainbows, my choice would be the Clown Killifish:

http://www.azaquaticplants.com/community/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=643

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
CrazyCatPeekin

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2013, 01:13:51 PM »

I love them, too, Russ! I've got Aru IIs and they are really spectacular little fish.

~Lissa
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2013, 10:26:41 PM »

I love them, too, Russ! I've got Aru IIs and they are really spectacular little fish.

Now I m jealous..those are little beauties!!!

I have kept Aphyosemion australe (Lyretail Killi) in with small bows with no problems ..

There are plenty of gorgeous Killies out there and most will spawn in mops just like the Bows do.
 It might be easier to get eggs/mops of the species you are looking for than to get live fish .. Check out local Killie breeders in your area; you could probably find them through local fish clubs .

I love the tiny peacock gudgeons ...  Tateurndina ocellicauda.... that I have in one of my Bow tanks.. peaceful and not very shy.
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/stats/misc_stats/stats_misc_Tateurndina_ocellicauda.html 

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
gunnered72

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2013, 04:03:54 AM »

I had all males crazycat

CrazyCatPeekin

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2013, 09:51:21 AM »

I have kept Aphyosemion australe (Lyretail Killi) in with small bows with no problems ..

That is great news. I think this one may be the winner. Smiley

I love the tiny peacock gudgeons ...  Tateurndina ocellicauda.... that I have in one of my Bow tanks.. peaceful and not very shy.
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/stats/misc_stats/stats_misc_Tateurndina_ocellicauda.html 

These were going to be my second choice actually if the killis don't pan out.  Wink

~Lissa
CrazyCatPeekin

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2013, 09:52:07 AM »

I had all males crazycat

Interesting...perhaps the males don't fight unless females are present.

~Lissa
CrazyCatPeekin

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 09:53:43 AM »

If I were to choose killi to house with your rainbows, my choice would be the Clown Killifish:

http://www.azaquaticplants.com/community/picture.php?albumid=53&pictureid=643

I do like the clowns, but I am considering using those in my aquaponics set up so I wanted something different here.

~Lissa
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's