Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 18, 2019, 10:00:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: African Dwarf Frog - Need help feeding. Please  (Read 9783 times)
jbrock183

« on: February 17, 2013, 02:39:24 PM »

Hello,
After making sure there were no compatibility issues I recently added an African Dwarf Frog to my planted community tank.  So far he seems to love his new home. I've been feeding him frozen bloodworms and was told he would also eat the fish food that falls to the bottom (I use Tetramin and Tetracolor crisps). But I've read that he probably won't eat the fallen fish food.

My question is what else do I "need" to add to his diet.  One source says adding beefheart would be adequate while another says do not use beefheart and just add brine shrimp and yet another saying only use a quality commercial food. 

Somebody help please.  What food do I absolutely need for this frog that is not terribly expensive and won't cloud the water?
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 03:18:28 PM »

I only used to feed my ADF's around 3-4 times a week... 1 Day i fed them bloodworms or Brine shrimp ect... (High protein foods) and the rest i fed them commercial sinking tabs.

Its important not to feed them too much protein, A staple diet of high quality tabs would be best alright... Id only feed beefheart as a treat, like once a month.

jbrock183

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 04:22:02 PM »

Thanks. I appreciate your help.
jbrock183

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »

Does anyone have suggestions for what brand of pellets?
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 07:02:27 PM »

Break up Tetra Tabimin into smaller pieces...My AFD loves them..I find it best to feed at night..I place the broken up tabimin close to his little area of the tank just to make sure he gets some...Ive read ADFs need food placed near them to find it cos they have to smell it to find it...They can be easily be outcompeted by the quicker feeding fish for food..Some people use turkey basters to reach in and feed the frog directly...

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Claire
Always learning

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 05:18:41 AM »

I feed mine in the same spot every day as soon as I turn the lights on.
They know now when the lights go on to move to the feeding spot sharpish. happy

25L Female betta
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 11:32:16 AM »

My frogs get bloodworms, brine shrimp and pellets.

For pellets, look for HBH Frog & Tadpole Bites or Zoo Med Aquatic Frog and Tadpole Food. The HBH pellets are larger than the Zoo Med.

I am also going to try some Repashy Meat Pie and see how that goes over with them. I have seen them eat other Repashy foods when I had them in a tank with fish, so I figure they will probably dig it. There are two versions, Fish and Reptile, but I think it is just labeling differences for marketing. It appears that the ingredients are the same so either one should work.

~Lissa
teitoku

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 11:22:29 AM »

How are you guys feeding brine shrimp to them?  Is it live, or freeze-dried? I've fed them frozen (then thawed of course) bloodworm, and sinking pellets.
FishKeeper

Tanks: 40g African Cichlid Tank, 30g Tropical Tank, 5g ADF tank

Loving Life

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 12:36:19 PM »

Hello,
After making sure there were no compatibility issues I recently added an African Dwarf Frog to my planted community tank.  So far he seems to love his new home. I've been feeding him frozen bloodworms and was told he would also eat the fish food that falls to the bottom (I use Tetramin and Tetracolor crisps). But I've read that he probably won't eat the fallen fish food.

My question is what else do I "need" to add to his diet.  One source says adding beefheart would be adequate while another says do not use beefheart and just add brine shrimp and yet another saying only use a quality commercial food. 

Somebody help please.  What food do I absolutely need for this frog that is not terribly expensive and won't cloud the water?
i have 2 ADF's an they are fine, all i feed them is bloodworms and algea pellets (small round green sinking pellets) not algea wafers completly differnt

Youtube Channel: http://m.youtube.com/#/user/MegaJavier12345678
Check it out & if you enjoy the videos please Like & Subscribe!
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2013, 01:27:31 PM »

The OP has not logged into their account since Feb when this thread was started, please stick to posting in more "current threads".  You have a lot to offer, but lets make sure you are offering it to people who are actively reading your advice. 

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  [img width= height= alt=SmileyCentral.com" border="0]http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/25/25_7_20.gif[/img]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation