Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

April 26, 2018, 11:39:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sick Plecoptera  (Read 2072 times)
Adrianna

« on: March 01, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »

My Plecoptera I inherited 8 years ago has taken ill with a white cottony substance covering from his eyes back to well past his gills. I've treated with Melafix for 10 days (tea tree extract) and the fuzzies are gone along with scales from infected area. His skin looks raw. He shares 120 gallon tank with another large Plecoptera he grew up with, a clown loach, and an angel fish - all together since before 2004. I use carbon filter and don't measure water stats other than temp (79 F). I wonder when I should stop treating with Melafix. I think the rawness is a result of disease and will now heal. I have a couple of good pix but can't figure out how to upload from iPad.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:15:40 PM »

Welcome to Badman's, Adrianna.

You won't be able to post any pictures until you have at least 10 posts.  Do you have a test kit?  If you don't, take a sample of your water to your LFS and ask them to tell you the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.  How often do you change water and how much do you change each time?

When in doubt, do a water change.
Claire
Always learning

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 06:55:20 AM »

The answers to Pat Mary's questions will help us help you, in the mean time here is the profile for your clown loach:
http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile13.html

25L Female betta
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 10:06:20 AM »

Melafix isn't the most helpful substance in the world for fish. It shouldn't hurt them any, but it's not really going to do anything for them, either. How often do you change your water, and how much do you change at a time?

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff

United States United States

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2013, 05:30:56 PM »

The best fish med in the world is clean water.  I would love to tell you, do a few large volume water changes and get that healing process sped up..... but until you tell us how much and how often you clean your water, and a believable reading (Not taken from a dip stick) for Nitrates, nitrites and ammonia, it would be foolish of me to make that recommendation.

Please answer the questions asked and help us to help you and your fish.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation