Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 18, 2019, 10:02:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bummer...lost a frog to the filter intake!  (Read 6147 times)
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« on: March 05, 2013, 06:52:45 PM »

That is, lost a frog to my covered filter intake. Sad I have always kept my intakes on my frog tank covered with nylon and have hoped that would keep them from getting their little legs caught. This morning, however, I found one stuck and had to pull him out. Poor little guy must have drowned. I swapped out my filter intake for an Eheim prefilter which has much smaller openings than the standard intake basket. Of course, my remaining frogs are all over it...I don't know why they love the spot near the intake so much. I've been all paranoid and watching them crawl all over it all day. They don't seem inclined to slip between the slats of this one. ~Fingers crossed~

~Lissa
Claire
Always learning

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:43:03 AM »

So sorry to hear this. Sad
Hope you don't lose anymore.

25L Female betta
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 06:57:14 AM »

Oh, how sad, Crazy Cat!  Sad  Keeping my fingers crossed it won't happen with this filter intake!

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
CrazyCatPeekin

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 08:27:57 AM »

Thanks guys.

Poor little thing had his whole leg stuck in there. I had to turn off the filter and remove the basket from the tank to get him out. Incidentally, the nylon covering didn't even have a hole in it and I had it stretched pretty tight.

I can see most of my frogs swimming around this morning. But it is pretty dark in the tank until the lights come on. You know I'll be checking those little guys all day once I can see 'em.

~Lissa
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:08:46 AM »

I'm glad your other little frogs are doing fine. happy

Your little frog didn't get stuck to the intake and drown. For whatever reason it died in the tank and eventually got stuck there. A healthy ADF can crawl all over or even stand (kind of) on the intake of a filter and be just fine.

Hope that Helps and I'm sorry for your loss.

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Afri

Tanks: Currently fishless, but with lots of plans!

Hopelessly addicted

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 07:44:32 AM »

I'm glad your other little frogs are doing fine. happy

Your little frog didn't get stuck to the intake and drown. For whatever reason it died in the tank and eventually got stuck there. A healthy ADF can crawl all over or even stand (kind of) on the intake of a filter and be just fine.

Your little frog didn't get stuck to the intake and drown. For whatever reason it died in the tank and eventually got stuck there. A healthy ADF can crawl all over or even stand (kind of) on the intake of a filter and be just fine

I have hear the theory that healthy fish/frogs don't get caught in filter intakes unless they are sick or dead, but I think in certain circs a healthy critter can get caught in a filter intake.  Has happened to me twice, and both times I had seen the critter happily eating and swimming about.  Inb both cases it was a filter with vertical slits, as opposed to the usual horizontal.  I think this orientation of slits makes the likelihood of critter eentrapmetnt much greater.  Also, especially in a small tank, I think the current can be pretty high, from observing plants and what not.  Anyways, sorry to hear about your frog.  Maybe a thin sponge on the filter intake would prevent a repeat of such a tragic loss.

something new, tiny dots, baby fish growing
Claire
Always learning

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2013, 06:52:34 AM »

I just came down this morning to find my tiny little albino frog with his legs stuck inside the filter.
He's mangled.
How do I put him out of his misery? Same as a fish?
I'm so sad.
Not having much luck with frogs. Sad

25L Female betta
CrazyCatPeekin

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 07:43:07 AM »

I'm sorry Claire, I really don't know how to euthanize a frog.

Debra, I am pretty sure he actually got stuck. I don't think he got sucked in; I agree that it is not that strong. I think he just got his leg stuck. I had trouble even getting him out and had to remove the whole intake to do so. I thought his leg was going to snap off. As I mentioned, the intake was covered with nylon. I don't think the suction would have been strong enough to suck him in even if he were already dead; he might have drifted over and stuck to the outside, but I doubt he would have been wedged in there as tightly as he was just from the filter suction.

Afri, it was an intake with vertical slits as well.

In any case, the new prefilter that I have put on has smaller, horizontal openings and is filled with sponges. The frogs have been crawling all over it for days and aren't having any problems.

~Lissa
Claire
Always learning

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 09:23:35 AM »

He died brfore I had to make the choice, poor wee thing.
I'm actually properly upset, hubby came home super early with chocolate.
My filter has verticle slits too.
I've taken it out, I'm not going to lose my other wee guy.
I'll just do daily water changes.
 Sad

25L Female betta
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 01:30:01 PM »

You can put a sponge over the intake, as opposed to nylon. It will significantly decrease the life span of the filter's motor.

CrazyCatPeekin

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 09:27:30 PM »

You can put a sponge over the intake, as opposed to nylon. It will significantly decrease the life span of the filter's motor.

Agreed. I used to use sponges and actually still do, but only on my shrimp tanks now. For me they seem to clog up very quickly which is why I switched to the nylon on the frog tank. So far I am very pleased with the prefilter that I purchased, but it has only been about a week since I installed it.

~Lissa
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's