Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 21, 2017, 02:43:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mopani Wood and Black Brush Algae  (Read 12386 times)
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« on: March 08, 2013, 12:32:45 PM »

So I had a persistent case of BBA in my tank. I completely re-did the tank, and it came back after a while. I finally localized the problem to a very nice big chunk of Mopani wood I had in the tank (it was completely covered with BBA each time).

After I took it out (and added algae-eating fish) the BBA seems to have disappeared. I'm kind sorry, as the Mopani was very decorative (and expensive). Is there any causal linkage here? could the wood be 'infested' somehow, and is there any way to treat it?

GBose
CrazyCatPeekin

Tanks: 100G, 55G, 35G, 2x29G, 2x20G, 4x10G, 5G, 3G, 2x2.5G

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 09:53:45 AM »

This is completely not scientific. But, I did this with a small piece of driftwood that had a recurring bba problem and so far, it hasn't come back. First, soak it in hydrogen peroxide. It is inexpensive and readily available. Since your driftwood is already out of the tank, you can use a really high concentration. I'd soak it for a good 20 or 30 minutes or until it stops bubbling (whichever is longer). Scrub it to remove the dead bba. Then, I'd soak it again in a highly concentrated Excel/water solution. The idea is that the H2O2 kills most and weakens the rest. Then the excel takes care of the last bit. After the excel soak, scrub it again and then give it a boil. Cool it in some dechlorinated water and then put it back in the tank.

Again, not scientific...I was just winging it. But it seems to have worked for me.

I understand that you should also be able to dry it out completely to kill it off. But, I have heard that sometimes it will not sink again after being dried. So, I thought I'd try killing it first.

You know, I suppose you could soak it in some kind of algicide...something for ponds or aquariums. I wouldn't use the stuff in my tanks, but since you have removed your driftwood, you've got a few more options. I used the H2O2 and excel because it was the most cost effective for me.

~Lissa
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 04:36:08 PM »

Just out of curiosity GB are the algae eating fish you added SAEs by any chance? Cos if they are they will absolutely tear into BBA..The thing is they only seem to like new BBA growth..I had a similar problem with BBA growth on some of my slower growing Sword and Crypt plants..I pruned all the leaves that had excessive older BBA growth on them added some SAEs and havent seen BBA since..SAEs love the stuff..They never stop munching on it..Ive also heard that American Flag Fish do equally as good a job on BBA but again the new growth is what they like so any older growth will need to be removed manually..

Another thing that helped eliminate my BBA algae problem was this...........................   
I now always slightly underdose my liquid ferts and also instead of dosing once weekly (like the manufacturers recommend) i split the weekly dose into 4 quarterly doses (Sat,Sun, Tue,Thurs)..(My Theory!) This stopped the faster growing plants consuming all the ferts before the slower growing plants could get some and hence "ALL" the plants in the tank were now outcompeting the algae for nutrients...I dont know if theres any scientific facts based on my theory but what i do know is there is no BBA algae in my tank now..

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »

I don't know if theres any scientific facts based on my theory but what i do know is there is no BBA algae in my tank now..

I always dose half the recommended dose.... It really depends on the strength of your lights but less is more when it come to liquid ferts  Wink.

I atucally have BBA in my tank but its only noticeble on older leaves..... Its all about the amount of nutriets your adding/ light.

GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 01:04:55 PM »

Folks, thanks for your responses -- sorry, I've been out of circulation for a while (traveling a lot for work).

Gunnered72, yes I have a SAE and 2 Garra Gottylas. They seem to be getting the BBA down, but I don't know what'll happen if I put the Mopani wood back. I did hae it out for several weeks, when I alternately dried it and soaked it... no problem. As soon a sI put it back in my tank, the BBA came back (That was before the various algae eaters were added).

Crazycat, I'll try the peroxide...

Thanks, all. Wish me luck!

GBose
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM