Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

July 15, 2019, 01:45:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dwarf Crayfish? How do I tell?  (Read 4499 times)
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« on: May 19, 2013, 08:32:09 PM »

So I bought this crayfish -- supposedly a Mexican Orange Dwarf. He looked a bit larger than the others, so I figured he'd be hardier (my first one died last year -- never found out why). When I was checking out, the lady at the counter said 'I hope he's a dwarf.... someone put baby regular crayfish in one of those tanks'. We looked at him and agreed he looked like a dwarf.

Now he (or she -- I can't tell the difference) has moulted and is at least 2 inches long -- maybe a bit more. How do I tell if s/he's really a dwarf? S/he has a good appetite and is all over the tank, climbing on the plants etc. but doesn't seem aggressive; I have RCS in there and a couple of Endler's livebearers, and they all seem OK.

How do I know what I'm dealing with? Ideas anyone?

GBose
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »

I must say first of all that I have no knowledge of Crayfish.  (Doesn't that make you feel good right off the bat? Wink)

Now that I have given you full disclosure, Here is an article about your crayfish from Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine  http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwater/feature-articles/the-orange-dwarf-crayfish-full-article.htm 

It says they don't get much bigger than 2 inches so maybe you don't have a dwarf. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
Muffuletta

Tanks: See tank list.

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:25:10 PM »

I have a regular old crawfish that we tend to eat around here in large quantities.  It is a tank with least killifish. I guess it has been in there about a month now and thus far it has not shown any interest in the fish.  Although, truthfully I would not miss one to ten fish in that tank if they went missing.  It does seem to be slowly eating my plant though. So there is at least the possibility your crawfish won't just eat everything in the tank.
But even if it does it is just a damn good looking crawfish, lol.   
GB

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 09:56:09 PM »

I must say first of all that I have no knowledge of Crayfish.  (Doesn't that make you feel good right off the bat? Wink)

Now that I have given you full disclosure, Here is an article about your crayfish from Tropical Fish Hobbyist Magazine  http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwater/feature-articles/the-orange-dwarf-crayfish-full-article.htm 

It says they don't get much bigger than 2 inches so maybe you don't have a dwarf. 

Pat M,

Thanks! a great article! I suspect you're right and I don't have a dwarf . Waiting to see -- he does have a lot of personality. I feed him pieces of fish via tweezers, and he rushes over and stands on his back legs to reach up and take them..!

GBose
GB

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 09:58:02 PM »

I have a regular old crawfish that we tend to eat around here in large quantities.  It is a tank with least killifish. I guess it has been in there about a month now and thus far it has not shown any interest in the fish.  Although, truthfully I would not miss one to ten fish in that tank if they went missing.  It does seem to be slowly eating my plant though. So there is at least the possibility your crawfish won't just eat everything in the tank.
But even if it does it is just a damn good looking crawfish, lol.    

Thanks, Muff!

Yes, I'm getting to suspect I have just regular old crawfish. Lovely color though -- lot's of fun. Have you any tips on keeping them? How do I tell if I've a male or female? I've seen articles on the internet and can't figure them out at all....

GBose
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's