Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

October 18, 2019, 09:55:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding a Crayfish?  (Read 10957 times)
BrittAndChris

Tanks: 55 long

« on: July 07, 2013, 10:46:39 PM »

I have a 30gal with 3 mollies 2 Dojo Loaches 2 African dwarf frogs and four ghost shrimp. i'm considering a blue dwarf crayfish maybe even a breeding pair im sure everyone will get along but where do i find one? i don't want to bid for it i just want it shipped... any advice?

Prior Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Muffuletta

Tanks: See tank list.

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:37:48 AM »

Nay, everybody will not get along.  Unless by getting along you mean a nice lunch for the crawfish. Crawfish are generally active at night.  The fish you have are generally not active at night.  It is possible when you have very small fish for a crawfish not to pay any attention to the fish.  I don't think that is the case here.
My advice is to consider something else. 
Tinker

Australia Australia

Tanks: 170G Red Devil, 63G Rainbow & Gourami Tank, 38G Patoti grow out, 20G long Betta Smaragdina Tank, 40G Betta Patoti pair, 8G Red Cherry Shrimp Tank

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 02:17:52 AM »

I second Muffuletta in saying no!
This is a very bad idea the crawfish will actually eat everyone!

Always willing to learn
moonbunny

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 09:44:40 AM »

Try a more peaceful crayfish species instead as blues are killing machines.

I was just reading up on Orange Dwarf Crayfish--they're *much* more peaceful and they can supposedly be kept with guppies, swords and snails:

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/freshwater/feature-articles/the-orange-dwarf-crayfish-full-article.htm
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 01:20:41 PM »

He actually means a Dwarf blue crayfish which get like 1.5".... i looked them up  Smiley. they certainly dont look like killing machines, seem the same as orange ones

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?249415-Dwarf-Blue-Crayfish-%28Cambarellus-Shufeldtii%29

You would probably have a easier time ordering orange ones... and you dont want to get the regular blue crayfish by mistake.

moonbunny

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 08:15:14 PM »

Sorry about the mistake. kopfpatsch

If dwarf blue crayfish are either Procambarus alleni or P. clarkii you might have some luck at Elite Inverts: http://www.eliteinverts.com/buy-freshwater-crayfish-for-sale/

Blue Crayfish: http://www.bluecrayfish.com/BuyCrayfish.htm

Or maybe www.alphaprobreeders.com/categories/Crayfish/http://www.bluecrayfish.com/BuyCrayfish.htm

Take Care, BrittandChris
BrittAndChris

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 11:37:04 PM »

thanks for all the advice guys but its go no avail the state of Arizona has banned the importation of all crayfish of any kind  due to the fact that they are a very invasive species. Still dont see why i cant have one in my tank my bedroom is not the local lake and i would never release it into the wild. Perhaps there is a permit i can get or some such i shall continue to persevere! I AM NOT DAUNTED!

Muffuletta

Tanks: See tank list.

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 08:30:23 AM »

You will be Daunted.  http://www.arizonaguide.com/events-calendar/2013-arizona-crawfish-festival-08-10-2013
If you read towards the middle, then you will see it is not even legal to transport crawfish caught within the state. 
moonbunny

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:42:38 AM »

I can think of 3 places in the state where you could get other interesting inverts, but sadly, not crayfish. Sad

Which area are you from?
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »

If you like inverts cameroon armoured shrimp are real nice!!!!

I used to have one till i went on holidays and of course somebody overfed after i showed them 5 times what needed to be done!

BrittAndChris

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 08:44:49 PM »

Im from Overgaard in the northeastern part of the state fifty miles or so south from the big navajo rez. i would definately be interested in inverts but snails are out. not only are they gross Zen and Chi, my two golden Dojos find them delicious...I just have a thing for oddballs i keep African Dwarf Frogs and such. i like it when someone is looking into my tank and has to stop and ask, What the heck is that? Shrimp and other "shellies" are awesome and any suggestions would be welcome. Ill definitely look into the Cameroon Armoured shrimp thanks Spuds!

moonbunny

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 01:01:04 AM »

Hi BrittandChris,

Arizona Aquatic Gardens just north or Tucson has a wider selection of inverts, esp. more unusual inverts and fish, and they do everything mail order (and within Arizona it looks like orders are shipped out and received within 24 hours.)  Their business' reviews are up and down, but in a pinch, the site's a nice place for ideas.  https://www.azgardens.com

Online, Elite Inverts are very professional and have an interesting selection (when I've had a question or two they've responded very kindly and quickly.)  http://www.eliteinverts.com/

The only other one that comes to mind is Aquatouch down here in the North Phoenix area.  They've been voted Phoenix's best for ages.  Everyone who works there is *very* knowledgeable about everything, they're helpful and they keep your desires and needs in mind.  Every kind of aquatic creature imaginable might be found there at any time.  They have a strict quarantine regimen (I'm not sure what they do for the inverts, but all the fish are treated for fungus, bacteria, parasites, you name it, before they're sold.)  Because they're in the valley, I haven't had to mail order from them, but if they do live shipments, they may be worth checking out.  http://www.aquatouch.com/index.html
BallAquatics

Tanks: 85+ of all shapes and sizes!

Fish Breeder

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »

If you keep Marble crayfish in soft water with low light conditions they turn a very lovely shade of blue.....

Mine don't bother the fish at all, but they are all big-time plant eaters!!!

They grow to 3+ inches and you don't need a pair for them to reproduce.

Dennis

When i read things that say that wont work....
I mostly smile and think , yeah right 
BrittAndChris

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 02:38:01 AM »

Nice Dennis, very nice, Brit and i have already compromised and come to grips with the Red Cherry Shrimp. Now if only our LFS would get them in! I placed my order two weeks ago! i want to get SOMETHING into my quarantine tank or i just wasted a lot of effort. Should be able to get the 55 cycling soon...

BallAquatics

Tanks: 85+ of all shapes and sizes!

Fish Breeder

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 10:46:07 AM »

Thanks BrittAndChris.  Cherry shrimp are very cool and probably one of the easiest shrimp to keep.  My grand kids used to sit and watch them for hours.  Best of luck with your new tank!

Dennis

When i read things that say that wont work....
I mostly smile and think , yeah right 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's