Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2017, 06:08:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fish and tank  (Read 9875 times)
Ruthy
Veterinarian

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« on: July 10, 2013, 02:04:07 PM »

Hey all, received this email from The Fish Vet (he has a blog I'm subscribed to). Thought it'd be interesting so have attached two screenshots of it.

The research shows that swimming space is not as important as water volume when it comes to fish size. Hormones secreted would be more dilute in the larger volume. The same result (I think) would occur if one was to do 100% water changes per day.

* Screen Shot 2013-07-10 at 19.58.20.png (184.67 KB, 634x526 - viewed 493 times.)

* Screen Shot 2013-07-10 at 19.58.29.png (194.86 KB, 570x529 - viewed 456 times.)
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »

Yeah i heard this before... With a constant supply if freshwater (100% change a day) fish can actually grow pretty large in a small space... People do pretty large water changes in grow out tanks because of this.

Sadly iv seen some people use this research to justify keeping large fish in tank where they can barely move.... But the fish do reach their mature size due to clean water.

Ruthy
Veterinarian

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:02:07 PM »

Yeah i heard this before... With a constant supply if freshwater (100% change a day) fish can actually grow pretty large in a small space... People do pretty large water changes in grow out tanks because of this.

Sadly iv seen some people use this research to justify keeping large fish in tank where they can barely move.... But the fish do reach their mature size due to clean water.

Yeah, certainly not acceptable to have big fish in little tanks!
Also, with the average hobbyist it is unlikely that 100% water changes per day would be done and so this would not be good for fish in a tank too small for the adult size.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 07:19:52 PM »

All I can say is that it may work fine for clams, but for fish?.....I wouldn't bet my or my fish's life on it.

OK, that came from an average hobbyist's point of view. From a former hatchery owner's view; oh it's true. I had tanks and vats that got almost a 100% water change daily and the fish grew like weeds (along with a nice diet)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
jerryfox

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »

It still not fair to the fish who are a large size to in prison them in a small tank even if the water changes are 100% everyday.I see this here constantly and it sickens me!
Ravengod

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 11:19:27 PM »

Very much for this great idea. I thank you for posting so much information on it.
fishbro22

Portrait and banner by RummyNose

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »

I saw an article in one of my old AFI magazines talking about how overstocking is bad. He said that in one situation, one of the only ones he has ever seen actually work with overstocking, there was a big tank (I think 500 gallons) that was just FULL of fish, literally double what he would say heavy stocked. He was so amazed, he had to ask the management how they did it. They took him to the back room, where they showed him the BACK of the overstocked tank, another 500 gallons of fresh water being circulated through and hidden by a one way screen. I think this backs up your post, Ruthy, and also proves the importance of water changes.

But that still doesn't mean you should keep a fish in a prison, like jerryfox and Spuds said.

Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »

question

Ruthy
Veterinarian

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 11:51:23 PM »

That's very interesting fishbro! And I agree with the fish prison.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation