Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 21, 2017, 02:45:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fiddler Crabs  (Read 5629 times)
drizzts dourden

« on: July 14, 2013, 01:31:59 AM »

just got a dwarf fiddler crab yay and thank you bunni i thought so too um i need evil name it the carb
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 09:30:42 AM »

Fiddler crabs require both land and water and the water needs to be brackish.  Your betta cannot live in brackish water.  So, a new tank should be set up.

When in doubt, do a water change.
drizzts dourden

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:30:31 PM »

i think my fiddle crab is dyeing or molting how do you tell

Pat Mary

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 09:57:48 PM »

Did you put your fiddler crab in a tank with brackish water and an area where he can walk around without being in water?  It is important that we know so that we can try to figure out what is wrong, if anything.

drizzts dourden

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2013, 10:07:32 PM »

yes he can get out of the water and no i read several blogs and posts from google that  say people have kept fildders in fresh water kept them alive  for a long time he was doing really good yesterday

Pat Mary

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 04:50:22 PM »

I know I did send you a PM with this information but I do think it is a good idea to keep this discussion on the board so that everyone will benefit.  So, I am saying again that here is a link to information about hermit crabs.  Notice what it says about fresh water vs brackish water.  http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/rarespecies/a/fiddlercrabs.htm
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:31:25 PM by Karen » Logged

Pat Mary

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2013, 05:27:20 PM »

Drizzts, I am so sorry that he is dead.  In your PM you said you are going to leave him in the tank for a while.  If he is dead there is no reason to do this.  Be sure that he is dead and then dispose of him.  But, in the future, you cannot keep a hermit crab in fresh water.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:31:48 PM by Karen » Logged

drizzts dourden

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 06:17:12 PM »

i took him ot and flushed him after i made sure he was dead
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »

I am really confused was this a fiddler crab or a hermit crab?  Pat Mary keeps saying hermit crab, but the title says fiddler crabs??

Both species of crab require a dedicated tank that really can't easily be shared with much else as their needs are so distinctive.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Pat Mary

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 06:46:18 PM »

Karen, I'm sorry.  I said hermit crab in two of my posts but I meant fiddler crab.  The link that I gave in one of those references was a link about the fiddler crab.  I apologize for saying the wrong species.  It is confusing enough for a new person to try to figure things out and it certainly doesn't help when someone is careless and mislabels one of their creatures.  Drizzle, I was referring to the fiddler crab regardless of what I actually said.  I will try to be more precise in the future. 

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »

LOL... no worries, I just got all confused.  I decided it didn't really matter as clearly the animals was living in an aquatic tank and both hermit and fiddlers require a terrestrial set up.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 02:42:19 PM »

Karen, I'm puzzled. I have hermit crabs in my SW tank and they seem to be just fine fully immersed. Do they really need a place outside the water?

GBose
Pat Mary

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 06:27:43 PM »

GB, here's a pretty good article about keeping them.  http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=2386

GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 05:46:22 PM »

Thanks, Pat M! I'm still puzzled, though. This article seems to treat them as terrestial, just needing humid air; I have them in my salt water tank, where they are totally submerged all the time. Am I doing something wrong here?? Os are these different species?

GBose
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's