Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

March 25, 2017, 04:42:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Posting pictures  (Read 2813 times)
verna2197

« on: September 09, 2013, 05:29:58 AM »

Not sure if this is the place to post this or not. I have searched and searched this site on how to post a picture and can not find the info. Could someone please tell me how to insert a picture in a post that I already have going on? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Verna2197
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 08:36:46 AM »

Verna, I told you that I don't have much experience in adding pics but I do know that we have a forum that will give you help.  When you said that you have searched this board for help and could find nothing, I was sincerely surprised.  Here is a link to our photo help section.  http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?board=17.0

When in doubt, do a water change.
SpiderCurt

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 12:27:05 PM »

Hi Verna

The "insert image" button is in the second row the second from the left or at least it is on the reply form. This button inserts only the bulletin board code needed. The image itself will need to be on a service like photobucket unless there is something in "additional options" at the bottom of the form. Photobucket provides a link to photos stored there and this would be inserted between the img and /img codes.

Curt
SpiderCurt

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 04:56:35 AM »

Having had some time to rethink this, I recalled writing a short tutorial on another message board. Hopefully this will make my previous answer a little more clear.

As this is a more or less free forum board program, it doesn't have some of the fancier bells and whistles that $180 bulletin board programs have. Among those extras is ease of image upload and plenty of storage room for the images. As a result, the use of an image hosting web site, such as Photobucket or your own web site is required.

If you have a web site which you can use to host your images or decide to take advantage of web space provided by some ISPs(Internet Service Providers) as part of their Internet access package, you will need a working knowledge of URLs(Universal Resource Locators). The URL needed is the address to your web site plus the folder in which you have stored the images plus the image filename. Generally it will take the form: "http://www.your_web_site.com/image_folder_name/image_filename". The image filename includes the extension. Commonly used extensions (image types.formats) are .jpg, .gif, .bmp or .png.

Photobucket is a fairly popular image hosting site that offers free hosting while charging for their premium service. There are other image hosting sites that may or may not offer free hosting. Having used Photobucket, I know that they provide you with the necessary URL to link to each picture you have stored. You need only register an account and upload your images and use the provided URL in the next step.

The image hosting part has been only briefly described in order to get to the use of UBB(Ultimate Bulletin Board) codes. These are similar to HTML tags, the major difference being the use of square brackets "[]" in place of the greater than/less than brackets"<>" used in HTML. When used, these tags/codes disappear (are not rendered as text) so I will have to replace the "[" and "]" with "{" and "}" to maintain code visibility.

Clicking the "insert image" button places the UBB image code, {img} {/img}, into the post thread box. The URL to the desired image is then placed between these two tags like this:

{img}http://i477.photobucket.com/albums/rr133/Spider_Curt/me_n_mic.jpg{/img}

When the proper brackets are used in this example an old avatar of mine should be seen:

note - if you know the tags you don't have to use the buttons

Hope this is helpful  happy

Curt
Q
Senior Staff

Tanks: 125 Gallon Amazon Biotope Community: 30 Cardinal Tetras; 8 Silver Hatchets; 10 Panda Cories; 2 Butterfly Ram; 6 Discus 37H Rose Garden: 9 Rosy Tetras

None of us is as smart as all of us.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 01:45:37 PM »

Great explanation, Spider . . . but, personally, I'd rather have a root canal than go through all of that.  lol lol

Humans are the only creatures able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.
SpiderCurt

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 03:54:50 AM »

Hi Q

Thanks for the compliment  happy

Curt
verna2197

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 08:42:14 AM »

Omg I didn't realize posting a picture was going to be so much trouble.  confused I think this is one step I am going to pass up. I have used Photo Bucket in the past though. So I just might use that again.

Thank you everyone for your help in this matter.
verna2197
Badman
Administrator

United States United States

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 01:59:19 PM »

As long as the picture is no larger than 300KB in size you can just add it as an attachment at the bottom of the message box. If it is larger you can link it like Spidercurt says or use a program that will optimize the picture. Its not really hard once you do one.

* abramites_hypselonotus_6.jpg (49.51 KB, 450x300 - viewed 249 times.)

liv2padl, Craig, Michael B - we miss you, rest in eternal peace.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation