Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

September 24, 2017, 10:53:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Happy little wigglers...  (Read 21038 times)
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« on: October 13, 2013, 11:45:34 PM »

I thought I would finally share my venture into keeping a salt tank.Yes... I ventured into the world of salt , and it has been one sharp learning curve. 

Last winter one of my sons friends asked me why didn't I have a salt tank...I told him that I would love to have one however it was a matter of the expense involved in setting up a salt water system and that one day I just might do it. I thought that was the end of that conversation . A few days later he came over again and said that he knew of somebody that was selling his reef system as that person had upgraded to a larger tank. He asked if I was interested in buying it. Now this friend of my sons was real enthusiastic about this salt tank ..he said that he wanted to get it for himself but he knows nothing about how to run it... and that I should really get it. What price would I be willing to pay for it? Now, I knew that I did not have the money to buy even a used system ..but I did ask him for details about it. It sounded like a great setup. I gave him an embarrassingly lowball price ( what I would pay normally for just a used tank and stand) thinking that would be the end of the questions.
A few days later this young man comes in the door telling my sons to get the truck and go with him ...and for me to make room for a tank.
 An hour later they all come back into the house first with a large bowfront stand..second with a gorgeous 76 gallon bowfront tank....and then a 4 foot reef light fixture . They then proceeded to set it up in the dining room. Well I just stood there with my chin on the floor while they continued to bring in roughtotes , pails and boxes of equipment.Every little thing that one could use for a reef system was in all the containers they brought in.  Cured rock sitting in salt water, aragonite sand, protein skimmer, an Ehiem wet/dry canister filter, powerheads, heaters, hydrometers, a box full of odds and ends and two 5 gallon pails of marine salt.

I finally asked how ??? what???? I had 4 smiling men look at me saying just give me the money you said you could afford to pay ... we love you , and are so happy that you are here with us...We wanted to get you the tank that you thought that you would never get; so now get filling this thing up the only thing we want is for you to get some clown fish.

Well needless to say I was surprised and now terrified... What did I do!!!! I have to get this thing up and running before the rock dies and the filter goes anoxic. kopfpatsch
I got mixing up salt water right away and spent the better part of a day getting everything in the tank and running.

Then I got reading nerd and learning .....and reading more ....I learned that I could let the tank sit empty for weeks while the rocks released built up phosphates. That it would go through an ugly diatom outbreak. I learned that using RO water to mix up my salt water would help deter diatoms and other algae. I now test for much more than just nitrates. There are a lot of chemical reactions going on in our systems and understanding them helps in maintaining a balanced system.The maintenance is important .. weekly 1/4 to 1/3 water changes and maintaining consistent salinity levels.

After a month of sitting I started to stock the tank .. I started with a clean up crew of turbo snails in March, they took care of any diatoms and started the "cycle".. by May I added a pair of baby tank bred and raised true Percula Clown fish. They have doubled in size in the few months and never stop moving .. they swim with an amusing constant wiggle and they really are quite brave .. they will come right up to my hand during feeding.

I still have to finish stocking the tank..going to go slow as to not upset the balance .. I have been thinking of adding a Royal Gramma Basselet, and  Bangai Cardinals and/or Pajama Cardinals. I am even thinking of a cleaner shrimp and possibly a Flame Angel...It will probably take me a year to finish stocking ..what with availability of fish and QT time.

So here are a couple of pics one of the tank ..yeah I know I need to put a background on it. lol
And one of the little wigglers .. my pair ...one boy one girl ..of Percula Clowns.

* 76 bowfront salt tank 014 - Copy.JPG (121.52 KB, 680x510 - viewed 372 times.)

* 76 bowfront salt tank 010 - Copy.JPG (121.97 KB, 700x523 - viewed 323 times.)

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
BallAquatics

Tanks: 85+ of all shapes and sizes!

Fish Breeder

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 04:59:19 AM »

What a great story, and a great looking tank!

Dennis

When i read things that say that wont work....
I mostly smile and think , yeah right 
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 06:44:56 AM »

Beautiful, Belinda! The story as well as the tank! Smiley

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 08:30:14 AM »

Beautiful story and tank, Belinda!  Those boys/men are a priceless treasure.  inlove

When in doubt, do a water change.
rmiller

Tanks: 10G betta/Neon, 30G Oscar

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 01:54:53 PM »

How awesome! What a great friend to help you get such an amazing tank. I can't wait to see how it grows. Congratulations.

SpiderCurt

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 04:58:10 PM »

I have to agree with everyone else.... great story, nice tank and the pics are good too Smiley

Curt
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:24 PM »

Lookin' good  happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 11:11:42 PM »

Thanks everybody!
 I figured it was about time I let you know about this tank . I wanted to make sure that it was progressing well before I said anything.
  It's a real joy and source of entertainment .
 And I will keep you updated on it's progress .I want to find tank bred fish for it if possible .. leave the wild ones in their own habitat .
I have found a source  for some other tank bred fish. I just have to wait for availability of certain species ..

LOl and yes those young men of mine and their friends always seem to amaze me  happy

Muffuletta

Tanks: See tank list.

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2013, 12:16:57 AM »

Now you can get around to getting a new picture for the baby.
Tinker

Australia Australia

Tanks: 170G Red Devil, 63G Rainbow & Gourami Tank, 38G Patoti grow out, 20G long Betta Smaragdina Tank, 40G Betta Patoti pair, 8G Red Cherry Shrimp Tank

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 12:54:46 AM »

Nice  Belinda!
Now I see the tank I have heard all about. It is beautiful!

Always willing to learn
jerryfox

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2013, 09:34:24 PM »

I thought I would finally share my venture into keeping a salt tank.Yes... I ventured into the world of salt , and it has been one sharp learning curve. 

Last winter one of my sons friends asked me why didn't I have a salt tank...I told him that I would love to have one however it was a matter of the expense involved in setting up a salt water system and that one day I just might do it. I thought that was the end of that conversation . A few days later he came over again and said that he knew of somebody that was selling his reef system as that person had upgraded to a larger tank. He asked if I was interested in buying it. Now this friend of my sons was real enthusiastic about this salt tank ..he said that he wanted to get it for himself but he knows nothing about how to run it... and that I should really get it. What price would I be willing to pay for it? Now, I knew that I did not have the money to buy even a used system ..but I did ask him for details about it. It sounded like a great setup. I gave him an embarrassingly lowball price ( what I would pay normally for just a used tank and stand) thinking that would be the end of the questions.
A few days later this young man comes in the door telling my sons to get the truck and go with him ...and for me to make room for a tank.
 An hour later they all come back into the house first with a large bowfront stand..second with a gorgeous 76 gallon bowfront tank....and then a 4 foot reef light fixture . They then proceeded to set it up in the dining room. Well I just stood there with my chin on the floor while they continued to bring in roughtotes , pails and boxes of equipment.Every little thing that one could use for a reef system was in all the containers they brought in.  Cured rock sitting in salt water, aragonite sand, protein skimmer, an Ehiem wet/dry canister filter, powerheads, heaters, hydrometers, a box full of odds and ends and two 5 gallon pails of marine salt.

I finally asked how ??? what???? I had 4 smiling men look at me saying just give me the money you said you could afford to pay ... we love you , and are so happy that you are here with us...We wanted to get you the tank that you thought that you would never get; so now get filling this thing up the only thing we want is for you to get some clown fish.

Well needless to say I was surprised and now terrified... What did I do!!!! I have to get this thing up and running before the rock dies and the filter goes anoxic. kopfpatsch
I got mixing up salt water right away and spent the better part of a day getting everything in the tank and running.

Then I got reading nerd and learning .....and reading more ....I learned that I could let the tank sit empty for weeks while the rocks released built up phosphates. That it would go through an ugly diatom outbreak. I learned that using RO water to mix up my salt water would help deter diatoms and other algae. I now test for much more than just nitrates. There are a lot of chemical reactions going on in our systems and understanding them helps in maintaining a balanced system.The maintenance is important .. weekly 1/4 to 1/3 water changes and maintaining consistent salinity levels.

After a month of sitting I started to stock the tank .. I started with a clean up crew of turbo snails in March, they took care of any diatoms and started the "cycle".. by May I added a pair of baby tank bred and raised true Percula Clown fish. They have doubled in size in the few months and never stop moving .. they swim with an amusing constant wiggle and they really are quite brave .. they will come right up to my hand during feeding.

I still have to finish stocking the tank..going to go slow as to not upset the balance .. I have been thinking of adding a Royal Gramma Basselet, and  Bangai Cardinals and/or Pajama Cardinals. I am even thinking of a cleaner shrimp and possibly a Flame Angel...It will probably take me a year to finish stocking ..what with availability of fish and QT time.

So here are a couple of pics one of the tank ..yeah I know I need to put a background on it. lol
And one of the little wigglers .. my pair ...one boy one girl ..of Percula Clowns.

I think Saltwater fish are really beautiful.Nice looking tank you made.
Belinda

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2013, 09:41:57 PM »

Thanks Tink!
Who would have thought that I would love to look at a tank filled with rock .. all my other tanks are planted .LOL ..But there are some really beautiful coral skeleton pieces in there.

Thanks Jerry!.. You are lucky you are close enough to reefs to see these fish in their own habitat .. I just have to make do with trying to copy a little piece of it .

LOL Muff .. when I get a pic of that child without him being covered in food or mud I will send you one. Wink

russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2013, 11:39:08 AM »

Those rocks will eventually color up and you will be able to enjoy that tank just as much as your planted fresh tanks  happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 10:40:16 AM »

Guess I need to go back to Canada eh?

The Bay of Fundy is on the way to your house, right?

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Belinda

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 10:04:44 PM »

The Bay of Fundy is on the way to your house, right?

Of course it is.....   If you take the long way around....   lookaround

Do you want to come play in this tank as well???.... You had your hands and camera in the others last time ... rofl

Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2013, 05:47:14 AM »

My little Honda never has been very good at straight lines.

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
Belinda

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2013, 09:32:51 PM »

lol

GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 10:28:44 PM »

Belinda,

Wow!! Do your buddies have another tank they want to give away cheap?  confused

Yours looks great!!

GB
Belinda

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 11:27:33 PM »

Wow!! Do your buddies have another tank they want to give away cheap?  confused

LOL If they do I will let you know .. but you will have to race me to it . Wink

I have a little update on the tank ....two new fish ...These two will be the last fish for the time being.
 An acquaintance of mine .. (yeah I know; I know a lot of fishy people.) was shutting down his last salt tank the day I was visiting him..
He has one lonely young Percula Clownfish that was the exact same size as my two and one Magenta Dottyback....We got chatting and I brought them home to my tank .

They are now out of QT and getting along wonderfully with the two other clownfish .. " Pinky" (the Dottyback) is bold, he spends a lot of time exploring caves and tunnels in the rockwork and anytime somebody walks by the tank he comes right out begging for food .The new clown greeted the other two right away .. there were three little shoves back and forth between two of them and in a matter of minutes they had their pecking order sorted out .. The new one has grown just a touch bigger than the other two so it is the boss. It will soon become a she and the two others will stay male.

The Dottyback species has the reputation of being aggressive and very hardy. So far there have been no issues with aggression with the other fish ..and I don't think there will be in the future. He actually took a bit of a beating from the Clowns ..the 2nd day in the tank I noticed he had 3 white circle shaped marks on him .. bites from one or more of the clowns. They healed up in a couple of days and there have been no issues after that first day. He has lots of room to be able to claim his own little space without feeling encroached upon .. The Clowns show no fear of him and would rather explore other areas of the tank. I think that when people say they have aggression problems with some fish it is usually their own fault by not researching the needs of their fish and giving the fish the natural needs such giving their fish the room they need to feel secure or having other fish that would occupy the same niche .

My next livestock purchase for the tank will be for a bigger clean up crew .. I am thinking of getting some Nerite snails ( yes they are marine ) and some more Turbo snails .. I won't be able to have shrimp with the Dottyback in there unfortunately.. But that's fine for now. This is one area of fishkeeping that I consider myself a beginner and I want to keep it simple with very hardy beginner level fish and a light stocking level.

russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 08:37:28 PM »

Can I recommend a good book for you?  "The Marine Aquarium Handbook, Beginner to Breeder" Revised and expanded edition, by Martin Moe.

That is is you don't have this already.  nerd

(George Bernard Shaw)
Belinda

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 10:39:32 PM »

I don't have that book yet Russ .. Thanks for the suggestion!

Tinker

Australia Australia

Tanks: 170G Red Devil, 63G Rainbow & Gourami Tank, 38G Patoti grow out, 20G long Betta Smaragdina Tank, 40G Betta Patoti pair, 8G Red Cherry Shrimp Tank

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2013, 07:53:27 AM »

How nice you have a lovely trio. I am feeling a little jealous just reminding myself why I gave up salt. So beautiful though  luvya

Always willing to learn
Belinda

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 11:31:36 PM »

There would be no way that I could be doing this without the benefits of all the technological advances in this field of the hobby.
 It's all in the water!!! Get it (the water) right and the rest of it comes easy with research...lots of it. Wink

If you get bored you could always come over and help me make up 40 gallons of saltwater.. biggrin

Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 05:39:26 PM »

That sounds so nice, Belinda.  happy  Saltwater tanks are quite captivating. Have you put up any more pics of it yet? Or did I miss them?

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
Belinda

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2013, 10:28:29 PM »

I haven't taken any new pics yet Nettie ... There is just the two in the first post..I usually have the camera locked up away from little fingers.
When I do get to take more pics I will have to clean off the little kissy face marks off the glass .. so it might be a while lol.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation