Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 21, 2019, 07:25:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rainbows with Green Tiger Barbs?  (Read 6975 times)
Danni
We don't keep fish, we keep clean water!

Tanks: 75 gal Planted tank with Congo, Lemon, Red Phantom, Green Fire, Orange Van Rio Tetras, Schwartzi and 3 Line Corys, 2 Bristlenose and one Dwarf Flame Gourami

Back for more!

« on: October 22, 2013, 10:29:33 PM »

Hi, I have been away from Badman's for quite a few years...time to get back to this site. I have a 75 gallon tank that I sadly have not taken care of as well as I should for the last couple of years. Today, I replaced a filter and got new LED lighting for it. I am sure that the plants I have in there will perk right up with the new lighting. The present survivors of the tank are one Congo Tetra, 1 lemon Tetra, 3 Red Phantom Tetras and 3 of what I was told were White Fin Corys. I think there is still one bristlenose pleco in there but not sure. The present fish are at least 5 years old.

I would like to stock the tank with Boesmani Rainbows, Green Tiger Barbs and more Corys. Would this mix be compatible? I haven't decided on numbers so suggestions for stocking would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any responses. =)

Danni

Never ask a woman what computer she uses. If it's a Mac, she'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass her?
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »

Hi Danni!!!
Glad to see you back here...  and ready to revamp your tank .

That mix of fish could work in your tank, with some cautions .. Both the Barbs and Bows very active swimmers. Both species are schooling fish.
 In order to keep tiger Barbs pesky nature to a minimum they should be kept in large groups; It keeps them busy with establishing a pecking order amongst themselves and thereby leaving other fish in the tank alone.
You might be better off picking your favorite one of the two species and stick to a larger group of one of them.

I would be cautious mixing tiger barbs and corys together.. those Barbs are known to be a bit nippy . The Corys are a slower shyer fish ..I honestly don't know if they would be picked on.
This is a tank where I would recommend  loaches over Corys.  A few good ones for your sized tank would be  Botia striata or even Yoyo loaches .

I don't know how ready you are to change the stocking of this tank, but I know The Kitchener area fish club is holding their big open to the public fish auction this coming Sunday 27th Oct. .. You might be interested in going and see if there are fish you want to get there .. You will probably see fish that you don't normally see in your local stores.
 I will give you a link to the information on where it is being held just in case you would be interested.
http://www.kwas.ca/forum/content.php?131-oktoberfish

Have fun with the tank makeover!!

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Kats3boys

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »

New here and a newbie, but I have  turquoise rainbows, dwarf corys and clown loaches all getting along together very well..no barbs though so don't know about them.. but we have nicknamed the corys physco zoom zooms as they are far from shy.
Danni

Tanks: 75 gal Planted tank with Congo, Lemon, Red Phantom, Green Fire, Orange Van Rio Tetras, Schwartzi and 3 Line Corys, 2 Bristlenose and one Dwarf Flame Gourami

Back for more!

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 08:31:48 PM »

Belinda, thank you for your reply. I am going to have to really think about which species to choose since I do really like Rainbows (I have had them in the distant past) and have always liked the look of green Barbs. I was hoping that they could have gone together but I guess not. As to loaches, for some reason they do not appeal to me at all. I much prefer Cories so it sounds like I will be going with Rainbows as they are a better match for the Cories. Now I need another fish to go in there... all suggestions are welcomed. =)

And thank you for inviting me to the Kitchener Publish Fish Auction but I am in Thunder Bay which is a very long way from you. I am not sure I am up for a 20 hour drive to get there. Wink

Never ask a woman what computer she uses. If it's a Mac, she'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass her?
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 10:34:19 PM »

Try pentazona barbs as an alternative. They're a little smaller, and mine were always a little on the shy side. They have a similar look to traditional barbs.

Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 11:37:51 PM »

That's a nice option Betsy ..

I was not quite sure just where you are located .. somehow I had Sarnia stuck in my mind... oops... But I completely agree it's a bit of a drive for you . Wink

Danni

Back for more!

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 01:02:21 AM »

I just had a look at the Pentazona Barb and I quite like the look of them. Thank you so much for the suggestion! Now to see if my fish store will order them in...

Danni

Back for more!

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:49:58 PM »

I went to the fish store and choked at the cost of the rainbows! Have fish prices gone up that much in the last 3 years? Ouch! They had one lonely rainbow and a whole school of moss green barbs. Those barbs looked amazing and are making me wish I could include them in the tank but having a male congo in there with his flowing fins would probably be a mistake and I don't want my poor surviving corys harassed either.

Tonight, I did another water change to get the nitrates down further (at 80 before the water change, don't want to know what they were before the water change I did a few days ago) and did a number on the plants in there. I had some anubias that were growing right out of the tank and a lot of a long grassy looking plants (can't think of the name right now) that were taking over so they needed some serious thinning. I will let everything settle and start growing again before I put any new fish in there. It is amazing that I am seeing some growth on some ferns that were nothing but rhizomes a few days ago. New lighting is amazing.

Belinda

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 09:19:31 PM »

There's nothing like a piece of new equipment for getting one motivated and working on revitalizing a tank.
A few weeks and it will seem like a different tank.

Danni

Back for more!

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 11:33:32 PM »

I was surfing the web and would Green Fire Tetras work with the Boesemani Rainbows and the Corys? I seem to have green stuck in my mind for some reason. LOL

Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 04:50:22 PM »

Our profile here says that the Green Fire Tetras are nippers for long finned fish.  So, I don't think you would have any problems with housing them with Boesemanis.

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile145.html

When in doubt, do a water change.
Danni

Back for more!

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 06:10:22 PM »

Most profiles say that they are peaceful if kept in a group large enough so I ordered 12 from my LFS in addition to the boesemani. I am just a tad worried about my remaining congo since it is a male and he does have longer fins. The aqadvisor site didn't give me a warning against housing them together so I am really hoping it works out.

Belinda

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 09:11:27 PM »

You don't have to worry about your Congo .. he can take care of himself.
They are very resilient fish . I have kept Congos with dwarf cichlids with no issues so I don't thing a few Tetras will bother him.

I have never seen or kept the Tetras you are asking about .. this is a time when you will have to tell us about how they are .. Wink

Danni

Back for more!

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »

Thanks Belinda for reassuring me about my Congo. And yes, I will report back on my Green Fire Tetras since they will be new to me too. The LFS said that this was the first time they were going to order them in so they were excited to see them too. They might be disappointed since I read they don't look like much in the store but colour up beautifully once they settle down and grow a bit.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation