Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2017, 06:08:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: goldfish rant  (Read 44281 times)
Lily

Tanks: 6 and growing

« on: November 01, 2013, 11:21:54 PM »

Hey, everyone! I haven't been on for a long time but I have something that has been on my mind ALL night. Today my church had a Halloween after party. I went to every single meeting beforehand and signed up to do face painting. I got to the party and noticed that there was a goldfish ping pong yes, like the horrid ones at the fair. I was appalled, and confused since nobody had even mentioned this booth to me. The fish were actually in the bowls that you tossed dirty ping pong balls into. The poor little fishies were scared out of there minds with all the ball ricocheting off the teenie bowls.The entire church knows about my obsession with fish and yet they did this anyway! Their logic was that they are not REAL fish, just feeders, it doesn't matter, well it DOES! Nobody would listen to mean or even believed me, (again they are just feeders was their logic). Everyone just ignored me or told me to be quiet. I even tried to explain to some kids proper fish care/ any pet care in general but I was pulled to the side by the pastor's wife who said I was being mean to the kids. All I did was say this: "I am not trying to be mean or anything but do you have a tank for these fish you could win" (after they had asked if the could keep the 1/8 gallon bowl this fish was currently in and the people running the booth said no). They said "No". Then I said "Do you have food for these fish?" Again "No". I said " Honestly, then you shouldn't take one of these fish home with you." I wasn't mean at all! Come on this is common freaking sense! Be prepared and have all supplies ready before you take home any pets! Even when I rescue fish from the fair I have a tank ready when I get home. Seriously, people. At least she let me rescue the 4 remaining fish, which were put in PLAIN tap water and in party bags from the dollar store that have who knows what chemicals on them.  Well, sorry about my rant. I needed to get that out to somebody who understands how I feel. Nobody there would even listen. Maybe they just thought I was full of it because I am only 15. I don't know but it was a terrible and depressing day for me, especially since everyone kept saying I was at fault for making a big deal about it instead of blaming the people at the booth who made me upset in the first place. I just want one person in my life who understands how much this really upset me. This probably is not in the right section, maybe not even right website but I don't care at least I am telling my story to people passionate about fish. I figured it would be okay for this section since it is technically a misconception about feeder goldfish.

Fishies!            ------
                     / ..        \_/l
                    l ___          l
                    \____\/_/ \ l
RAHT

Tanks: 46 gallon: 1 angel fish, 10 harlequin rasporas, 4 bronze corydora, 6 lemon tetras, 8 gold barbs, 1 bristlenose pleco, cherry red shrimp and algae earing shrimp, 2 mystery snails. 180 gallon stock tank: 9 comet/common goldfish

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 11:36:01 PM »

Good for you!  Only 15 and you have more sense than many adults.  I appreciate your "rant" and think that all creatures need to be taken care of properly and feeders are as important as other fish.
RAHT
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 11:44:55 PM »

Yep, and a very common misconception about 'carnival' goldfish at that! You were in a tough situation. Sometimes you win through it and sometimes you don't. Next time, pick 'your ground' to make your point when and where there is a better chance for people to appreciate your input and education on proper fish care. Don't give up. i know this caught you by surprise, but again, you need to pick right time and place. Hang in there  happy

* BCA02.jpg (2.99 KB, 76x70 - viewed 722 times.)

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:15:54 AM »

This was a good place to say how you feel .. Good for you to say something ..
 Now you said it ..you made your point .. Don't hold it against anybody...they didn't know any different.
 Lets just hope that even one person that was there gets curious about what you were saying and does some research on their own .

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Pat Mary

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 08:56:45 AM »

Kudos, Lily!  You did what you could and hopefully someone listened.   Maybe the next time they hold a function like this, they won't have another goldfish game because they will be afraid of what you might say again. 

When in doubt, do a water change.
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 11:05:13 AM »

Hello Lily. How about scheduling a meeting with the local head of the church to explain your concerns. Prepare in advance to explain why this was an example of animal cruelty and why it should not be repeated. Ask the head to ban the use of all live animals in future carnival events, to include fish.

Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 12:31:39 PM »

I am appalled that the pastor's wife did not think the fish deserved a thought to their well-being! What about loving all creatures, being responsible care takers of God's creation and such....
And I'm so saddened that not one person supported you in this at the fair!

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
Danni
We don't keep fish, we keep clean water!

Tanks: 75 gal Planted tank with Congo, Lemon, Red Phantom, Green Fire, Orange Van Rio Tetras, Schwartzi and 3 Line Corys, 2 Bristlenose and one Dwarf Flame Gourami

Back for more!

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 03:21:57 PM »

I am so sorry that no one listened to you.  I have been put in the same position in the past and it is appalling how people choose to to ignore proper care because they have seen other fish in the same conditions. I like the idea of scheduling a meeting with the head of the organizing committee or the paster and explaining why this was wrong. Be sure to show up with some fish articles that explain proper goldfish care so that you have some documentation to back you up. Good luck!

Never ask a woman what computer she uses. If it's a Mac, she'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass her?
rmiller

Tanks: 10G betta/Neon, 30G Oscar

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 04:31:15 PM »

Maybe you can borrow Claire's presentation board she and her son made to keep his class from getting a goldfish!

I hate live pets as prizes too, I think everyone here does. You have the full support of everyone here.

jerryfox

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 09:45:26 PM »

Hey, everyone! I haven't been on for a long time but I have something that has been on my mind ALL night. Today my church had a Halloween after party. I went to every single meeting beforehand and signed up to do face painting. I got to the party and noticed that there was a goldfish ping pong yes, like the horrid ones at the fair. I was appalled, and confused since nobody had even mentioned this booth to me. The fish were actually in the bowls that you tossed dirty ping pong balls into. The poor little fishies were scared out of there minds with all the ball ricocheting off the teenie bowls.The entire church knows about my obsession with fish and yet they did this anyway! Their logic was that they are not REAL fish, just feeders, it doesn't matter, well it DOES! Nobody would listen to mean or even believed me, (again they are just feeders was their logic). Everyone just ignored me or told me to be quiet. I even tried to explain to some kids proper fish care/ any pet care in general but I was pulled to the side by the pastor's wife who said I was being mean to the kids. All I did was say this: "I am not trying to be mean or anything but do you have a tank for these fish you could win" (after they had asked if the could keep the 1/8 gallon bowl this fish was currently in and the people running the booth said no). They said "No". Then I said "Do you have food for these fish?" Again "No". I said " Honestly, then you shouldn't take one of these fish home with you." I wasn't mean at all! Come on this is common freaking sense! Be prepared and have all supplies ready before you take home any pets! Even when I rescue fish from the fair I have a tank ready when I get home. Seriously, people. At least she let me rescue the 4 remaining fish, which were put in PLAIN tap water and in party bags from the dollar store that have who knows what chemicals on them.  Well, sorry about my rant. I needed to get that out to somebody who understands how I feel. Nobody there would even listen. Maybe they just thought I was full of it because I am only 15. I don't know but it was a terrible and depressing day for me, especially since everyone kept saying I was at fault for making a big deal about it instead of blaming the people at the booth who made me upset in the first place. I just want one person in my life who understands how much this really upset me. This probably is not in the right section, maybe not even right website but I don't care at least I am telling my story to people passionate about fish. I figured it would be okay for this section since it is technically a misconception about feeder goldfish.
The only   enemy to man is man himself.That is why I prefer animals over people all my lives including innocent fish.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 01:11:46 PM »

Its a church... goldfish don't count as "one of God's creatures?"

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
jerryfox

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 10:13:23 PM »

Its a church... goldfish don't count as "one of God's creatures?"
Every living thing GOD created counts in life as GOD'S creatures.
Lily

Tanks: 6 and growing

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 05:43:44 PM »

Yeah I thought they needed to be counted as Gods Creatures too, but they had different opinions, I guess. I have started to write a letter to the pastor that I will deliver on Sunday. It will talk about how it is animal cruelty, about proper goldfish care and about places where things like this is illegal (like the UK), including the reasons behind the laws. I hope laws like this become laws in the US so things like this don't happen. One of my teachers who gave me some swordtails a few years back has restarted her tank and I will give a couple to her so my goldfish tank is less overstocked.

Fishies!            ------
                     / ..        \_/l
                    l ___          l
                    \____\/_/ \ l
rmiller

Tanks: 10G betta/Neon, 30G Oscar

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2013, 06:13:42 PM »

That's great Lily. Hopefully the pastor takes your letter to heart and refuses to allow such a travesty to happen at the church in the future.

Ruthy
Veterinarian

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 05:12:52 AM »

Let them know that neurologists in the veterinary field believe it's completely ridiculous to think that fish don't feelpain.
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 07:45:18 PM »

OK, so do we agree or not that keeping goldfish in tiny bowls to be used in contests as prizes and then expecting them to live like that is a misconception?

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Muffuletta

Tanks: See tank list.

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 09:22:30 PM »

We do, russ.  The rest of the world not so much.
Aquatot

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Tanks: 2 g shrimp-only, 5 g, 20 g, 55 g, and 150 g

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2013, 08:44:26 AM »

I'm really late to this discussion, but I just wanted to add another voice of support to you, Lily. I'm appalled that no one backed you up, and I admire you greatly for speaking up, espcially in the face of such ignorant opposition. You know, you could always show the pastor this thread if you feel you need other supportive voices in your corner...

Let us know how it goes! I'm shocked that a church, of all places, could be so deliberately callous to animals.

A fish is for life; not just for Christmas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan's our man! Always was, always will be.
moonbunny

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2013, 09:37:36 PM »

Hi Lily,

Sorry for being late, too.

They say what separates us from the angels is free will.  I hope that your courageous spirit and kind heart will inspire others to see how great it feels to speak up for those without the ability to speak for themselves.
russ
Administrator
Obsessed Member

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 04:42:07 PM »

I think we all understand and figured out what went wrong in this situation. We can close this a little earlier than normal.

(George Bernard Shaw)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's