Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2018, 11:36:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Immobile Nerites...  (Read 8667 times)
Aquatot

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Tanks: 2 g shrimp-only, 5 g, 20 g, 55 g, and 150 g

« on: December 13, 2013, 12:56:22 PM »

So, I received some surprise nerite snails on Monday. They're beautiful... shiny shells, healthy-looking undersides. But they haven't moved more than a few millimetres since I got them.

One of them keeps turning over on its back. I'll reach in and turn it upright, and a few hours later it's upside down again, tucked into its shell with just a little bit poking out. The other one has moved slightly more, but not at all since yesterday. I haven't seen either out of their shells properly, and they certainly haven't eaten anything. It's been four days since they arrived.

I've never kept nerites, so I'm not sure how normal this is, if at all. My water readings are fine - ammonia and nitrite 0, nitrate just under 10. I haven't done a recent pH test (which I will get to), but it's usually stable at around 7.6 or so. Soft water (see my earlier post in the General section if this sounds weird).

Any advice, more experienced snail keepers? Are they just taking a while to get used to a new environment, or am I right to be concerned? Anything I can tempt them with? They ignored an algae wafer I left right beside them. I'm getting a little worried about them at this point.

A fish is for life; not just for Christmas.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dan's our man! Always was, always will be.
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 01:49:35 PM »

Mine were fond of green beans, of all things. I have no idea what to do for a sick snail... Sorry!

Aquatot

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 02:33:58 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Betsy. I'll try some other veggies. I've read that nerites can be fussy and might not eat anything other than algae... not necessarily the case, then?

Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 02:53:37 PM »

Mine ate those goofy snail cookies you make with gelatin, algae tabs, and various veggies I put in there. Are yours in fresh water or in brackish? Do you know how the previous owner kept them? If memory serves, they are originally brackish creatures, and if they have been moved from brackish to fresh with a cold snap in between I could see it being difficult for them.

Danni
We don't keep fish, we keep clean water!

Tanks: 75 gal Planted tank with Congo, Lemon, Red Phantom, Green Fire, Orange Van Rio Tetras, Schwartzi and 3 Line Corys, 2 Bristlenose and one Dwarf Flame Gourami

Back for more!

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »

I got Nerites yesterday and mine are moving. Not very far but they are several inches from where they were yesterday. I wonder if Betsy might be right with the brackish water.

Never ask a woman what computer she uses. If it's a Mac, she'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass her?
Netti

Canada Canada

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 06:55:58 PM »

What I've found out is that copper is harmful for invertebrates and some fertilizers contain copper. Mine has very little copper and my big snails seem to tolerate it, but it may have been the culprit killing the crystal red shrimp I tried a year or so ago. Just a possibility to look into!?

40 gallon long South Asian, 10 gallon Betta tank
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 09:53:26 PM »

I do hope they perk up Tot... they are really nice snails . ..
Betsy is right about them probably being from a brackish environment ..  My LSF gets them in full marine.. they are great in reef tanks. They can adapt to fresh .. so hopefully the will acclimate ..and wake up soon for you .
Other than just not moving is there anything different about them??? .. Body looking shriveled up or oozing out a lot of slime???

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Aquatot

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 06:54:29 AM »

Thanks so much, all. I've spoken to the friend who gave them to me (who also happens to work at the LFS they came from), and she assures me they haven't been in brackish water since arriving at the store. I guess they may have been beforehand, but moving them to my freshwater tank won't have been a sudden shock if they've already been in fresh water for a while. She has a few of them herself, from the same place, and said hers also spent several days not moving before they finally perked up. Apparently hers are doing fine now. The LFS in question is only a couple of miles down the road from me, so it's unlikely the water conditions would be drastically different, and I've never had problems acclimatising fish from there.

If all goes well, I'll give the gelatin cookies a try, Betsy!

I ran out of fertiliser a couple of weeks ago, so haven't added any during the last couple of water changes. There are a couple of root balls in there, though, so I'll check those for copper. It never seems to have affected the MTS and ramshorns in that tank, mind you.

I can't see anything else wrong with them, Belinda. The one that keeps turning upside down looks perfectly healthy on its underside... faint pink with a small amount of black body visible inside. It doesn't look at all shrivelled and nothing seems to be oozing. Last time I picked up the other one to look at it, it appeared exactly the same. I even sniffed them to be sure they were still alive in there! No smell at all as of a day or so ago. I don't want to keep picking them up if I can help it, just in case I'm spooking them and making them even less likely to come out...

Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 02:18:34 PM »

Hopefully they will wake up and perk up soon Tot..I will be keeping my fingers crossed for luck.

Aquatot

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 07:41:33 AM »

Thanks, Belinda. I did water changes yesterday and took another close look at them both. An hour or so later they'd shifted slightly... one had attached itself to the other's shell. But there's still no more movement than that. It's now been a week since they arrived!

Aquatot

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 10:16:37 AM »

Movement! happy Only a little, mind you, but it's something... The one that kept turning on its back (which it hasn't done since I turned it over yet again on Sunday) has moved three whole inches since yesterday! The second one has sort of turned around on the spot and may have moved a tiny bit, but this is the first sign of significant movement I've seen. They're both still in their shells and definitely aren't roaming yet, but I'm clinging to this as a good sign. Fingers crossed for more soon...

Danni
We don't keep fish, we keep clean water!

Tanks: 75 gal Planted tank with Congo, Lemon, Red Phantom, Green Fire, Orange Van Rio Tetras, Schwartzi and 3 Line Corys, 2 Bristlenose and one Dwarf Flame Gourami

Back for more!

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 12:07:08 PM »

Yeah! Good news. Mine seem to move all over within a 6 to 8 inch radius.

Never ask a woman what computer she uses. If it's a Mac, she'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass her?
Belinda

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 09:02:02 PM »

Great news!!! soon there will be snail trails all through the tank.

Aquatot

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2013, 01:13:17 PM »

I hope so! happy Today, the second one (which hadn't moved much) has travelled over six inches to the front of the tank and attached itself to the bottom of the glass! It's been there all day, but that's a huge step. The first one hasn't moved since its brief journey yesterday, but things are definitely happening. Here's hoping they start getting bolder and exploring their new home properly!

GB

Tanks: 25G Community Tank, 10G Crayfish tank, 3G Betta tank, 34G Saltwater

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2013, 05:27:01 PM »

Aquatot,

I wouldn't worry too much. I think they'll be fine. Just let them get used to the tank....

GBose
Belinda

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2013, 09:28:46 PM »

tomorrows news from Tot .. I can't find my snail...oops... There he is way on the other side of the tank....  biggrin

Aquatot

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 10:55:20 AM »

Thanks, GB. I'm hoping they're gradually getting used to things.

Heh heh, Belinda... I couldn't find one of them this morning!  woohoo Turns out it's curled up in a niche of bogwood. The other one is still on the glass where it was yesterday - it's almost like they're taking it in turns to make the next move.

Now I just need to see them eat something, and I'll be happy.

Belinda

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 10:05:47 PM »

biggrin

Aquatot

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 05:36:26 AM »

They're not quite zooming about the place yet, but they're definitely getting acquainted with their new home now. I have a huge piece of bogwood in the 55, and they're spending most of their time on it at the moment. Never thought I'd be so happy to look for an aquatic creature and not be able to find it because it's moved from its previous spot. biggrin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation