Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2018, 11:39:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Shrimp in 5.5 Gallons?  (Read 5194 times)
Jake

« on: March 19, 2014, 11:51:52 PM »

I was just wondering what an appropriate number of cherry shrimp I could keep in a 5.5 gallon aquarium is. I have read a bunch of different things on the internet, but trust the people of this site most. Is there a magic "shrimp per gallon" rule?

Also, the shrimp will be accompanied by 2 or 3 nerite snails. Thanks in advance!
Debra
Senior Staff

Sarcasm is just one more service we offer.

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 03:01:59 AM »

They will reproduce rather quickly. You can start with only a few and watch to see when you need to move some to another tank.

Hope That Helps

"Give others freedom to be themselves. Appreciate the differences between their ways and yours."
Jake

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 09:18:30 AM »

And is it a judgement call about when I should move them? I can't imagine that the bioload would be very big for them so I would guess there would be a decent amount of flexibility.

Thanks Debra!
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 02:34:04 PM »

Honestly the amount really depends on yourself....... you can keep quite a lot of shrimp in a 5gal with proper maintenance and feeding.... also if the tank is heavily planted it really makes a difference too.

Id just move some when the tank looks "full" (tons of little shrimplets crawling on everything).... I wouldnt worry about bioload unless you miss a water change regularly or feed them too much. If your really worried just test the water  Wink.

Iv had cherry shrimp for nearly 6 months now and iv yet to see a shrimplet  Sad Sad Sad Sad. I'm blaming my betta.

jerryfox

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 07:52:42 PM »

Honestly the amount really depends on yourself....... you can keep quite a lot of shrimp in a 5gal with proper maintenance and feeding.... also if the tank is heavily planted it really makes a difference too.

Id just move some when the tank looks "full" (tons of little shrimplets crawling on everything).... I wouldnt worry about bioload unless you miss a water change regularly or feed them too much. If your really worried just test the water  Wink.

Iv had cherry shrimp for nearly 6 months now and iv yet to see a shrimplet  Sad Sad Sad Sad. I'm blaming my betta.
Is 20 to much for this tank?
Jake

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 10:11:42 PM »

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice! I knew I could count on this site!
jerryfox

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:03:49 PM »

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice! I knew I could count on this site!
These members have a vast amount of knowledge on all kinds of fish and other things you need to know for your own good to good fish keeping.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation