Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 23, 2017, 04:18:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: feeding question  (Read 8300 times)
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« on: April 27, 2014, 07:11:53 PM »

I am wondering if i am starving my fish. OK I know i am not starving my fish because they are not dying and some of them are many years old. However I was feeding my fish the other day and was thinking about the "fish should eat all the food in 2 minutes". My fish eat all the food I put in the tank in about 30 seconds. Am i feeding enough? Has anyone actually timed how long it takes your fish to eat the pinches of flake food you put into the tank? How long do you have floating flake in your tank?

Happy Trails,
Nick
jerryfox

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 09:51:26 PM »

I am wondering if i am starving my fish. OK I know i am not starving my fish because they are not dying and some of them are many years old. However I was feeding my fish the other day and was thinking about the "fish should eat all the food in 2 minutes". My fish eat all the food I put in the tank in about 30 seconds. Am i feeding enough? Has anyone actually timed how long it takes your fish to eat the pinches of flake food you put into the tank? How long do you have floating flake in your tank?
My fish eat the flakes in seconds I saw.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »

Working on the premise that fish spend about 1/3d of their walking hours searching for food, they have adapted to conserving enough energy output to pursuing/searching and eating it. In an aquarium, fish take another leap in food gathering experience.....learning to expect and eat food when one approaches the aquarium. After a while, they figure out that they do not need to devote 1/3d of existence to chasing down their food. In that respect (outside of preconditioning for breeding or still providing a varied diet), they would not really need any extras.

As long as each of your fish is getting food with each feeding, they should be fine. You mentioned flake food. I would still like to remind you that flake food alone is not a very well rounded diet for fish no matter the content. A mix of live, frozen or DYI prepared should be fed at various intervals along with the flaked offerings.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 10:03:35 AM »

Thanks guys.

I was just using flake as an example. I guess what I was getting at was that I could not see myself ever adding enough flake food to the aquarium so that it takes 2 minutes for the fish to eat it all. and was wondering how long it takes for other peoples fish to clear the tank of food in the water column

Happy Trails,
Nick
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 01:57:13 PM »

Like Russ said aquarium fish don't exactly use much energy unless they are breeding or being chased around by aggressive fish. They really dont need that much food.... small amounts 2-3 times a day is good. no harm in fasting them 2-3 days in the week.

Its much better to feed small amounts in the day then one large feed. They can only process so much and if you feed them a large amount once a day a good portion will just be pooped out and the nutrients wont be absorbed. Same goes for humans  proud.

Instructions simply saying 'Feed as much as your fish will eat in 2 mins' is just plain madness, those instructions have contributed to the death of many many fish. I mean feeding for 2 mins is fine if its the correct amount of feed... but people see this and plonk in large amounts of food for 2 minutes or just plonk loads in at once hoping the fish will eat it all in 2 mins... It depends on how they interpret the instuctions.... The feed amount depends on number of fish, size of fish and how energetic the fish is, temperature is a factor too.

Time doesn't matter so much..... Its all about the amount of feed! Just feed slowly so it doesn't all fall to the bottom which is kinda common sense in my book but people do still plonk food in the tank   Sad.

The feed we use at the fish farm i work at has accurate instructions on how much feed to use for different weights of fish.... it also has instructions for different temps.

I don't see why tropical fish foods cant have a something similar... even if its like "feed x amount of pinches of food for x amount of inches of fish so everyone understands. I know inches isnt ideal as they would need to use a set weight for so many inches.. but most hobbyists out there are not going to weigh all their fish, i know i wouldn't  proud.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 02:07:10 PM by Spuds » Logged

jerryfox

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 10:09:38 PM »

Working on the premise that fish spend about 1/3d of their walking hours searching for food, they have adapted to conserving enough energy output to pursuing/searching and eating it. In an aquarium, fish take another leap in food gathering experience.....learning to expect and eat food when one approaches the aquarium. After a while, they figure out that they do not need to devote 1/3d of existence to chasing down their food. In that respect (outside of preconditioning for breeding or still providing a varied diet), they would not really need any extras.

As long as each of your fish is getting food with each feeding, they should be fine. You mentioned flake food. I would still like to remind you that flake food alone is not a very well rounded diet for fish no matter the content. A mix of live, frozen or DYI prepared should be fed at various intervals along with the flaked offerings.
What is DYI mean? Thanks
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 10:11:56 PM »

DYI = 'do it yourself'. It is generally applied to a project that someone builds instead of purchasing or something that is prepared from scratch and not purchased already assembled and packaged.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »

Here is my recipe for my DIY fish food =D. Mainly for my frog but i give it to my other fish as a treat

Recipe:
10% liver
20% Cod
1% garlic
2% peas
67% Standard pellet

I blend the mix in a pot... added water and gelatine and let it set in fridge. Chop it up and store in the freezer.

jerryfox

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 08:21:42 PM »

Here is my recipe for my DIY fish food =D. Mainly for my frog but i give it to my other fish as a treat

Recipe:
10% liver
20% Cod
1% garlic
2% peas
67% Standard pellet

I blend the mix in a pot... added water and gelatine and let it set in fridge. Chop it up and store in the freezer.

The fish must love this recipe of yours.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation