Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 15, 2018, 06:54:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: raising aCF tadpols  (Read 3797 times)
Hardworkingwoman

« on: June 01, 2014, 07:34:15 AM »

Hi,
I just brought home some ACF tadpols. Does anyone have experience with how to raise them? I have 1 adult male, they are in a 10 gal. tank. No filter, just air & light. There are some eggs also approx. 30 of them. I have no idea what I am going to do with all of them if they live. I also need to know how to change the water without losing them. My friend has a 100s of them from one frog.

thanks!
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 09:10:38 AM »

Here is a link to a care sheet for ACF's.     http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/amphibians/82321-care-sheet-african-clawed-frogs.html

It says that a 10 gallon tank is fine for one frog.  And, you would need a filter if you have any more than one frog.  I would suggest that you return your tadpoles and the eggs to your friend.  You don't have room for them and they will likely die with you.  Even if they live, you don't have enough tanks to house them all.

Always be sure that you have the proper environment for an animal before you bring it home.  If you cannot provide for a living thing, it is morally wrong to subject it to abhorrent living conditions.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Hardworkingwoman

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 09:50:47 AM »

Thank you Pat,

I do know that I can not house them all.  I have one acf in a 40 gal tank,  I have a filter for the 10 gal. but read that you should not use one for tadpols.  I do have a filter and a nice set up for him.
my friend has hundreds of them and bred them irresponsibly I am just trying to save some and maybe see if the fish store will want them. I don't know if they are legally allowed to do that or not.

I do need to know how to change the water without losing them down the drain! I can't find that info anywhere.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 10:48:19 AM »

When you do the water change, drain the used water into a clean bucket which you only use for your tanks.  That way, if you accidentally suck up a tadpole, you will be able to retrieve him from the bucket.

When in doubt, do a water change.
Hardworkingwoman

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »

Oh brother I don't know why I didn't think of that!

Thanks
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 04:23:14 PM »

raise 3 or 4 of them and add them to the 40gal when they are big enough not to be eaten by your male. They do well in groups.... I have a male ACF myself.

Put the rest of your tadpoles in the 40gal if you cant find a home..... They might survive... if not your ACF will appreciate the snack Wink

Tinker

Australia Australia

Tanks: 170G Red Devil, 63G Rainbow & Gourami Tank, 38G Patoti grow out, 20G long Betta Smaragdina Tank, 40G Betta Patoti pair, 8G Red Cherry Shrimp Tank

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 11:58:21 PM »

I used to raise tadpoles but not those sorts we are not allowed them here in Australia.I would think there wasnt much difference in tadpoles. Since I did twice daily full water changes a day since they require loads of food to grow I didnt bother with a filter and had a 99% success rate would maybe lose 2 out of 50 at most. I kept them in pretty crowded conditions and moved them as they grew legs into the adult habitat. Since my frogs as adults like some land too. I would then sell them to reptile traders that we have here for frogs,  lizards and snakes we can only have natives and must have a licence. I was one of the few breeders in WA.

Always willing to learn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's