Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 17, 2018, 11:37:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flirting w/ the idea of getting a non-prolific snail : )  (Read 7468 times)
moonbunny

United States United States

« on: June 23, 2014, 08:38:52 AM »

A month ago I was lulled into the tranquil motility of a snail and since then I've been flirting w/ the idea of having one in a small/nearly nano tank at home.  My past experience with snails have been two-fold: I had one mystery snail that my goldfish ate the eyestalks from, I got so-called pest snails in a batch of plants and the inundation of snail eggs soon turned into biological warfare--the tank finally had to be completely broken down to end the problem.  So...I know about Assassin snails, but I'm wondering if anyone's had a positive experience with a low-yield snail that would do well in a smaller tank--right now I'm open-minded as to coldwater vs tropical...right now it's all just a pipe dream, so anything flys!  Possibly something w/ a bit of a personality...

Suggestions?

Thanks,
bunny
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 01:57:39 PM »

Ya cant go wrong with Nerite Snails! They only reproduce in Brackish conditions and tolerate all temperatures!

Plus they destroy algae like nothing else ive ever seen...Amazing algae eaters!

There are all different kinds...The best in my opinion are the Horned Nerites!

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Josh40

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »

I've kept Tylomelania (Rabbit Snails) in the past and found them to be very active and characterful... without fish. They are a tad larger than the usual snail suspects so a little extra space would probably be appreciated. They come in a variety of colour choices and mine enjoyed fresh veggies every once in a while. If I had extra space for a smaller tank I'd definitely acquire some again! happy
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 04:47:17 PM »

Nerites would appear the way to go. And like Josh mentioned Rabbit snails, depending on how nano you wish to go.

"characterful"? Really? That is one of the words out of my personal dictionary! And it works!  lol

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Josh40

United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 01:02:57 PM »

lol Russ, I was going to go with personable but they don't behave much like people lame
RAHT

Tanks: 46 gallon: 1 angel fish, 10 harlequin rasporas, 4 bronze corydora, 6 lemon tetras, 8 gold barbs, 1 bristlenose pleco, cherry red shrimp and algae earing shrimp, 2 mystery snails. 180 gallon stock tank: 9 comet/common goldfish

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »

I have nerite snails in one of my tanks.  I took them out of my main tank because they lay little white hard eggs on everything and I didn't like the look of a speckled  aquarium.  They are hard to get off.
I love my mystery snails.  They are big and beautiful and interesting.  If they lay eggs they are in a easy to remove group on the lid of the tankůso no babies.
moonbunny

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 06:56:58 PM »

Here's an awful question...would assassin snails eat eggs but leave adult mystery or rabbit snails alone question  (I like the non-reproductive part of nerites--and there are some beautiful ones--but I'm wondering about the hard, hard-to-remove eggs...)
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 06:24:51 AM »

I have found Nerites tend to only lay their eggs on bogwood so if you have no bogwood in your tank its not a problem...

The other thing ive noticed is that Horned Nerite snails dont seem to lay as many eggs as Zebras say for instance...

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
jerryfox

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 07:20:08 PM »

Ya cant go wrong with Nerite Snails! They only reproduce in Brackish conditions and tolerate all temperatures!

Plus they destroy algae like nothing else ive ever seen...Amazing algae eaters!

There are all different kinds...The best in my opinion are the Horned Nerites!
I am stuck with trumpet snails in my tank which to me are a pain in the neck.
moonbunny

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 04:20:49 PM »

The funny thing is I was thinking about writing about having snails as pets...now I'm wondering lol

I'll be starting from scratch again, as in, cycling the tank again from-scratch, virgin tank territory.  I'd thought of having a few plants, but I could easily avoid bogwood this time round...
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 07:19:09 PM »

I actuall am quite attached to my Apple ( mystery) snails ..
 As long as you make sure the tank is escape proof and remove any egg clutches you will find them quite amusing at times .. I just love it when the decide to go para-snailing!

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Danni
We don't keep fish, we keep clean water!

Tanks: 75 gal Planted tank with Congo, Lemon, Red Phantom, Green Fire, Orange Van Rio Tetras, Schwartzi and 3 Line Corys, 2 Bristlenose and one Dwarf Flame Gourami

Back for more!

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 09:38:24 AM »

I have nerite snails in one of my tanks.  I took them out of my main tank because they lay little white hard eggs on everything and I didn't like the look of a speckled  aquarium.  They are hard to get off.
I love my mystery snails.  They are big and beautiful and interesting.  If they lay eggs they are in a easy to remove group on the lid of the tankůso no babies.

So that is what is all over my driftwood in my main tank. I wondered what they were. I don't mind the look of the speckles and I love my nerite snails. I have a two onion snails and a few zebras.

Never ask a woman what computer she uses. If it's a Mac, she'll tell you. If it's not, why embarrass her?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation