Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 13, 2017, 08:15:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about dry rock  (Read 5657 times)
Tayler

« on: July 03, 2014, 06:21:44 AM »

Hey all, quick question for the forum.

I have a tank that is already cycled with san and live rock, but I want to include some more rock because I think that it is going to help the aesthetics of the tank. I have heard that before you can use dry rock, you should cure it.

Is there any way that I could avoid that process? I do not have the space for it right now. Alternatively, could I just take the dead stuff off the rock eventually and just do it that way? Any suggestions would be really appreciated.

_______

I write at www.HomeAquaria.com
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:55:13 AM »

If you are adding any rocks that you find, you should either bake or boil them or leave them out in the sun before adding them to your tank.  You want to be sure that you are not putting any items in which would be a danger for your fish.

When in doubt, do a water change.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

United States United States

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 04:05:40 PM »

Because the context of the original post involve live rock and mention of curing rock, this has been moved to the Alternative Setup boards. This would be more appropriate section for marine setups.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 09:27:28 PM »

If you have dry rock intending to go in a saltwater tank there is usually no specific things to do other than make sure like anything we put in our tanks that it is clean of dirt and debris.
 I put dry rock in my salt tank just the way it was ..
You place it under a piece of live rock and the rock will cure ( develop a live bacterial colony) all on its own . you place it under live rock so that any bacterial sloughing from the live rock will fall onto the dry rock.

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation