Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

December 14, 2017, 05:53:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How much to feed?  (Read 5952 times)
Kittylover

« on: July 24, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »

Hello, I am pretty new to fish. We have a cycled 10 gallon tank with 2 guppies and 5 very small tetras. We just have tropical fish flakes. It seems that now that the tank is cycled they are always hungry. We are not sure if fish are like dogs that will just eat whatever's there, or if they eat only when they're hungry? We give them a pinch at a time and it's a feeding frenzy, they all go after the food very quickly. Then we see the guppies looking like they're foraging so if we give them more they all go to it immediately. I don't really know how to gauge the correct amount to give them.

Any tips?

Thanks!
BallAquatics

Tanks: 85+ of all shapes and sizes!

Fish Breeder

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 08:55:16 PM »

When you are first starting out, it's best to follow the old rule of thumb, don't feed your fish more than they can eat in about three minutes.

Dennis

When i read things that say that wont work....
I mostly smile and think , yeah right 
Kittylover

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 09:09:49 PM »

Yes they definitely finish within 3 minutes, more like a minute...they gobble it up, which makes me think it's not enough for them? But maybe they are compulsive eaters....
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:12:21 PM »

Fish can be greedy ..feeding them once a day is enough for most fish .

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
jerryfox

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 04:52:55 AM »

Fish can be greedy ..feeding them once a day is enough for most fish .
Some fish experts tell you to feed them twice a day. Morning and at night. which do actually.
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 06:58:48 AM »

Providing you don't have fry, once a day is typically enough. Do you have any fish that are more on the nocturnal side? If so, feed right before you go to bed. If all your fish are up during the day, just a "small pinch" of food in the morning plus whatever your bottom feeders like and you're good to go. You don't want to turn the tank into a giant cloud of food- that's too much and just makes your nitrate rise faster, plus more to vac out of the bottom every week when you clean. The fish should be going to the food, not the food going to the fish. Smiley

rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

United States United States

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 06:45:30 PM »

Answers seem to be following a incorrect context. (Pat Mary got it right so far). It's "how much" not how often to feed. You can feed your fish 6 times or a day if you want, but fish and water quality can start to get in trouble if you are feeding too much at one time (or per feeding). Except for my old grow-out tanks and conditioning adult breeders, I feed just to make sure that each fish has grabbed a food morsel, then stop. Of coarse, this is done often throughout the day and early evening. But its not how often, its how much at one time that constitutes over feeding.

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
jerryfox

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 09:35:37 PM »

Providing you don't have fry, once a day is typically enough. Do you have any fish that are more on the nocturnal side? If so, feed right before you go to bed. If all your fish are up during the day, just a "small pinch" of food in the morning plus whatever your bottom feeders like and you're good to go. You don't want to turn the tank into a giant cloud of food- that's too much and just makes your nitrate rise faster, plus more to vac out of the bottom every week when you clean. The fish should be going to the food, not the food going to the fish. Smiley
That is exactly what I do you mentioned here. Right on.
fishtank

Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2017, 05:56:15 AM »

All fish require a varied diet...Don't just feed flakes everyday, feed different foods regularly like Live food, Frozen food, Blanched vegetables, Flakes, Pellets, Wafers, Blood-worm etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation