Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

May 26, 2017, 07:58:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeding Rotation  (Read 4098 times)
Wheels on the Bus
Hamster- the other white meat.

Sanctimonious Chicken

« on: July 28, 2014, 08:23:25 AM »

Facebook Post of the Week: Do you use a feeding schedule/rotation with a fast day for your fish, or do you only feed one type of food?

KRH: I use a mixture of pellets, flake and cichlid blocks

Cindy: I very between flakes, pellets, frozen and fresh, and my poor fish get almost as many fast days as days fed. They grow slowly, but live a l-o-n-g time...

Karen: I am with Cindy... no real plan here... lots of variety, not a lot of feeding. I doubt I feed more than 3x a week, and I doubt they eat the same thing more than once a month. Well the pacu get fed more than that, but that's cuz I am afraid they will jump out and eat me in my sleep if they are hungry.

FM: I feed 2x a day but I don't feed them very much at all when I do. I feed a variety of foods but I don't have a schedule. I don't have a regular fast day for the fish (happens when I go out of town, but that isn't regularly).

KRH: Yeah I feed twice a day too, all mine are babies so I presume it's a good thing

Shari: I feed twice a day, fast on Friday and Saturday... Sometimes Sunday too. I buy 4 or 5 different kinds of flake and a number of different pellets and disks. I mix them and feed the mix. Everyone gets basically the same mix with some variations... More algae wafers for tanks with more BNs, etc.

Superpap56: once a day at night with lights out--her natural feeding habit--I usually fast a day every week or 2 though I am not personally convinced of the value of doing so at this point..I do however try and remember to do so.I watch closely on most occasions and make sure the pieces are on the small side and I dole it out as she eats it , and quit when she shows obvious signs of no longer attacking the food ,which also keeps waste down I think and avoids food particles from finding their way to the filter's intake tube end screen which would result in reduced filter water intake.

Wizzy: tank lights go on in a morning when I get up and as soon as the lights go on,my fish are going crazy waiting to be fed

lokii_37

Tanks: 100g Community Densely planted

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:54:13 AM »

I feed a large variety, flake, frozen, live as soon as my culture matures. All fed pretty random with probably 3ish fasting days a week

Happy Trails,
Nick
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:26:49 AM »

4 to five days a week...sometimes twice a day..a varied diet of frozen, flake, pellet, veg, wafers, live.....

Works fine for me...keeps my fish healthy and on their toes and also helps keep my water quality good...

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 02:04:20 PM »

3-4 days a week at the moment... I'm rarely home but the they get a nice varied diet and i don't hear them complaining...  nerd

jerryfox

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 09:54:35 PM »

3-4 days a week at the moment... I'm rarely home but the they get a nice varied diet and i don't hear them complaining...  nerd
I try to alternate flakes and tropical wafers for the ID shark and janitor.
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 08:28:18 AM »

What is a janitor?

When in doubt, do a water change.
superpap56
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »

a janitor is a person who works at cleaning up a building or some-such establishment  for a living..the guy or gal who cleans up the school for example and usually gets even less respect than pay...and usually deserves more of both lol--just my opinion is all-- a janitor is the cxlean-up and sometimes maintainence guy.
Pat Mary

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 04:14:32 PM »

I try to alternate flakes and tropical wafers for the ID shark and janitor.

a janitor is a person who works at cleaning up a building or some-such establishment  for a living..the guy or gal who cleans up the school for example and usually gets even less respect than pay...and usually deserves more of both lol--just my opinion is all-- a janitor is the cxlean-up and sometimes maintainence guy.

Sorry, Pap.  I was asking Jerry what he was referring to as "the janitor".

When in doubt, do a water change.
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »

kopfpatsch   lol

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
mchambers

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 07:46:30 PM »

I feed about five days a week, usually alternating two or three types of food.  Just came back from a five day vacation without feeding.  Everyone, even fy, did fine and even look healthier with a few days off from food.
jerryfox

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 09:40:00 PM »

What is a janitor?
It is the filipino named for a Pleco cat fish here.They call it a janitor .
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 08:14:46 PM »

I have no set schedule for feeding the fish ..
I usually mix several different typed of flake together ,,  one day the fish get flake the next day pellets . at the end of the day the fish will get their treats and that is when they will get food specifid to the fish's species ..   example.loaches get shrimp pellets catfish will get wafers ..fry will get baby brine shrimp.

I do however tend to fast the adult fish on water change day. Babies always get fed at least 3 times a day.

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »

We definitely needed a feeding rotation in our fish room and in our shops.By rotation, I mean at pretty near scheduled times during the day that included rotating the type of food. Mornings, juvies and grow out tanks got fine flaked. Afternoon they got live baby brine shrimp. Evenings, depending on type of fish, they would get micro worms or micro eels, while others got fortified fine flakes. Adults and other maturing fish got a different feed.

I never believed in fasting a fish for non-medical reasons.

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
Spuds
Solanum tuberosum

Tanks: 10gal- Shrimp, betta, otto

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 07:11:02 AM »

Yeah ideally a fish should be fed small amounts multiple times a day..... Fasting isnt needed for most fish.

But most people are pretty busy so that's not always possible. Also fasting is great advice for beginners who tend to pop in more food then they need to  Smiley.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation