Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

August 21, 2017, 02:43:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Caleries  (Read 12386 times)
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

United States United States

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« on: September 02, 2014, 06:33:12 PM »

Remember being told or telling another about fish being in an unfavorable sized aquarium? Remember mentioning things about "stunting" or "fish needing swimming room" or that "fish organs getting stunted or compacted because the fish won’t grow properly”?

If a fish cannot swim and be as physically active within its normal behavior traits, then the above could very well take place. But, how does this take place? So, back to topic subject………….. What is a calorie and why should a fish or the hobbyist care?

A calorie is basically a unit of heat energy. Your fish uses calories to power everything it does. Calories fuel the processes that keep the fish’s body functioning, such as respiration, bones and muscle growth and blood circulation. Unused energy is stored as fat to be used later by the fish when it needs it. Physical activity, such as normal swimming patterns is important to burn off fat that had been stored.

You should start to see where I’m going with this…….. All foods we feed our fish have calories.

When it comes to fish nutrition, there are nutrient-rich calories and what is called empty calories. All are not created equal. While one calorie from an ingredient can be the same as from another, empty calories come from foods that are filled with solid fats and sugars. Those ingredients undermine a fish’s overall health. Nutrient-rich calories provide vitamins, minerals and fiber in addition to energy.  happy

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »

Ras has been drinking again....

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
moonbunny

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:19:42 PM »

So true, Rasaqua Wink  Where's Ed to help us decode the industry? goldfish
Karen
Professor
Senior Staff
Obsessed Member

Tanks: 450 pacu community, 70 tropical community, 125 tropical community 70 coldwater community, 30 shell dwelling cichlids

I wish I was a fish!

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 04:24:16 AM »

So true, Rasaqua Wink  Where's Ed to help us decode the industry? goldfish

Moonbunny- I wrote my masters thesis based on this industry.  What questions do you have?

Put me back out to sea to play with the fishies...I don't belong on land!  SmileyCentral.com" border="0
moonbunny

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:26:00 PM »

Sounds crazy, but on human food, they have to list all the ing. as well as RDAs of half a million things--sat. fat, unsat fat, cholesterol, fiber--soluble/insoluble, protein (sometimes quality of protein,) percent of vitamins, carbs--fast and slow, etc, even organic/non-organic.  Even dog and cat foods are starting to follow the trends. 

You'd just think with so many people spending so much on their fish the food industry would wake up to conscientious consumers and instead of just saying, "Here's bottom-feeder food" or "tropical flakes," things like that, different species at different life stages could be addressed more personally.  For instance, different fish are prone to recurrent health problems like weight gain, constipation, fin diseases (you'd think healing oils like A and E, plus L-lysine and better proteins could help re-build skin.)  Even aging fish have a little different needs than conditioning diets for young ones (probably to account for slowing metabolisms and thinning bones.)  But most everything out there's just so generic--min. crude protein, moisture analysis, etc...  If we could feed them consistently better diets, knowing their predispositions and managing them lifelong, might fish live longer, healthier lives?

Are there some companies already doing this better than others question

We have fish who can outlive dogs, it'd be nice if they had the same nutritional opportunities.

Or am I off my rocker? lol
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 10:10:51 PM »

Hmmm. I know the Department of Agriculture governs content and mass//weights for packaged materials (that include food stuffs) and that the FDA can order a recall of foods (to include fish foods), but not quite sure who actually controls or sets the standards for what you are asking. Ah, never mind. My CRS has shorted and I remembered where to dig up some of the info you are asking (actually my wife choked it out of me...........Here ya go......

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa159

happy

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2014, 11:13:05 PM »

That is an interesting article Russ ..It sounds like Ras's elbow is on the mend since she was able to "choke the info out of you " .
I saved it to look over again .  happy

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
russ
Whoa. Where did I put all my stuff?
Administrator
Obsessed Member

I know where rasaqua's stuff is.....

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 11:35:43 PM »

Yeah, she has a follow up appointment in two weeks and I think all will be ok by then.

"For every difficult question, there is an answer that is clear and simple and wrong."
(George Bernard Shaw)
moonbunny

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 11:51:51 PM »

Same as Belinda--I've bookmarked it for the fun of reading the references happy

With SuperGirl, you have to expect she'll heal faster than most and have other impressive abilities!

Thanks to both yourself, Russ, and Ras luxhello
rasaqua
Make room for more stuff

I know where Russ's stuff is.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 09:45:35 PM »

Ras has been drinking again....

Only eggnog and rum. Been waiting closer to Christmas to say that  lol

When one can't explain things simply, they just don't really understand it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation