Badman's Tropical Fish Forum

November 15, 2018, 06:54:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or join our community.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Welcome to the forum! Whether you are an old pro or new to the hobby, feel welcome to share your knowledge and experience and to further educate yourself about this great pastime of ours.

PetSmart
News: Stay tuned for another contest starting soon. 

forum   guidelines calendar Forum search help Join Login  
  Main Site site map Fish Profiles Fish Stats Articles tank log Species Gallery Photo Gallery  

Badman's Chat
Users in chat
Please upgrade your brower.
in   cm  L °F   °C   click for tank volume calculations
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nerite snails breeding... In freshwater???  (Read 18417 times)
rae0.o

« on: November 19, 2014, 10:22:10 AM »

So this morning I noticed small round white eggs scattered around on my driftwood and after much googling Ive concluded that they look exactly like nerite snail eggs.  My tank is freshwater although I did add a small amount of salt several months ago to help kick a small ick problem.  Is there something else that these might be? I thought nerites only bred in brackish water!  Could this be something else? I only added 3tbs gradually to my 55g and that was 3 months ago, there's no way there's more than a trace of that left.  confused
rae0.o

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 10:27:24 AM »

I'd love to post a picture but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it from my phone. I guess you'll have to take my word that they look exactly like what pops up in a Google search for nerite snail eggs Smiley
Pat Mary

United States United States

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 10:36:03 AM »

They will not breed successfully in freshwater but they do try.  Smiley  Just scrape them off.   http://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/nerite-snails/#NeriteSnailEggs

You will not be able to post pictures until you have a minimum of 10 posts under your belt.  This was done to help to control spammers.

When in doubt, do a water change.
rae0.o

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »

Thank you!  It's funny That I've never noticed them do this before!  do you think my yoyo loaches might eat be able to eat the eggs?  It's no issue to scrape them off but if they might enjoy the snack I won't bother Wink
Good to know about posting pics, I was beginning to think I was computer illiterate :/
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 09:05:23 PM »

I did a bit of research a while back on nerites .
 they will live happily in fresh , brackish or salt water .
 The eggs will hatch in brackish water however the larvae will only live and grow into snails in plankton rich full salt water.

http://www.planetinverts.com/zebra_nerite_snail.html

That is partly why they are popular in the hobby .. They will not overrun your tank , you only have as many snails as you placed in your tank .
And to answer your last question I don't think your yoyo loaches will eat the eggs .. however they will eat your nerites .. I hope they aren't in the same tank.

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
gunnered72

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Tanks: 240, 100, 70, 50, 30, 30, 25 Litres

Theres more water than air in here :P

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 06:21:11 AM »

Definitely nerite eggs..Nerites lay small little eggs that look like sesame seeds..they will only hatch in proper brackish conditions..the only way to get rid of them is to scrape them off..for some reason they particularly like to lay eggs on bogwood..the eggs are a little unsightly but the ability for Nerites to munch on algae far outweighs this

I love to hate Water Changes! :P
Belinda

Tanks: 90 gallon,2x75 gallon,55 gallon, 2x50 gallon; and shall we say a few more.. always growing always changing.

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 09:17:02 PM »

I found another article on line regarding nerite snail breeding. Here is the link to the full article.

http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/snail/nerite.php

here is the part about moving the snail larvae into full salt for growing out....

Some people find Nerite snails are very hard to breed while others state that they breed like rabbits. The truth likely depends on the aquarium in which they are kept and the exact species kept. They only breed in brackish water (1.005-1.010 salinity); they never be breed in freshwater and only seldom breed in saltwater. When they do breed in saltwater it is usually in water very close to being brackish. The snails need to be well fed to breed and the more you feed them the more they will breed. (Keep an eye on you nitrate levels.)

If you want to breed them I recommend setting up a special breeding tank. A small tank will work well as long as you can keep the water values up and stable in it. The substrate in the breeding tank should be fine crushed coral mix or another calcium rich substrate. The young will need the calcium for their shells. The water temperature is of less importance and Nerite snails can be bred in unheated tanks. The ideal temperature for breeding Nerite snails do however seem to be around 79°F / 27°C.

The eggs can be moved to a hatching tank but this is not necessary as the parents will leave them alone. The eggs hatch as larvae without shells. Move the newly hatched Nerite snails to a saltwater tank. Then when they have developed a little and “turned into snails” you can move them back in to brackish water and from there to freshwater if you want. You can also keep them in the saltwater tank if you want to.

Some saltwater fish keepers breed Nerite snails as fish food since young snails that haven't developed into “snails” are perfect food for many marine fish such as puffers. An extra bonus is that if they don't get eaten they don't pollute the water but rather develop into a valuable part of the cleaning crew.

It took 7 days for God to create this world...
So how long will it take for me to create the perfect tank???
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Badman's Recommended Links
1 Post
1 Topic
Last post by Badman
in Sites We Support
on 5/2/07 12:00 PM

Navigation
Badman's

Main Site Navigation